Cz 455 help please

Towsey

Hi all

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I bought a new 455 .22lr a few months ago, 16" barrelled synthetic with a sak mod. Anyway, after about 700 shots it won't hold a group and it won't even zero properly or tell me which ammo it prefers, it's absolutely crap.

It's gone back under warranty now and I'm waiting to see wot they say, but I was just wondering wot sort of thing it could be and how good they are at fixing or replacing rifles. I did try a few thing before I took it back and the gunshop tried a couple more things.

I tried...new scopes and mounts, action bolt torques, checked crown, took mod off, hand fed it single rounds, different shooting methods. Taking the mod off made a little bit of difference and tightening the stock bolts made it a bit better but then the stock was touching the left side of the barrel. I tried to undo the barrel retaining bolts to check them aswell but the Allen key was bending they were that tight, that's when I thought enoughs enough it's going back. The gunshop said they got the barrel bolts loose and sorted them but it made no difference, I'm wondering if the bolts have been that tight for that many shots (thinking of heat) that the barrel or breech are ruined?

Any advice greatfully recieved

Thanks

Towsey

Did you give the barrel a good clean with solvent patches. Then half a dozen rounds, and then check grouping?

Also, your gun may have been great at the start, but wet, damp environment's can expand the wood and push against the barrel sending the zero off. I've never known a duff CZ, especially a .22lr. Clean barrel, as per above, get some sans paper in that wood barrel channel and keep sanding until you can easily slide a 5, 10, or whatever bank of England under the barrel. Which should easily slide between the barrel and stock right to the breech. Then try it. I was god smacked to have prob's with my CZ 452 .22lr grouping! Turns out, that no matter how careful I'd been the barrel, the barrel was touching the side of the synthetic stock??? Some dremel work later, (after a fiver was slid under the barrel, all the way, was well. And funny enough, the grouping was back spot on...) Just a though.... Good luck!

PS, Rifles are not designed to need to have the stock/metal work mounting bolts to be tightened so hard that a decent allen wrench bends!...

Thanks for the replies

It's back there now so il see wot they can make of it. I forgot to say that I tried cleaning the barrel and it made it noticeably worse. It's a synthetic stock and dint want to start sanding too much and risk the warranty. Was it the left side of the stock that the barrel was touching? I didn't touch the barrel bolts, that's how tight they were from the factory. I'm gutted really because I bought a cz for its reliability

The group's are about 2-3" at 50yds and 4-6" at 100

Cheers

Towsey

Thanks for the replies

It's back there now so il see wot they can make of it. I forgot to say that I tried cleaning the barrel and it made it noticeably worse. It's a synthetic stock and dint want to start sanding too much and risk the warranty. Was it the left side of the stock that the barrel was touching? I didn't touch the barrel bolts, that's how tight they were from the factory. I'm gutted really because I bought a cz for its reliability

The group's are about 2-3" at 50yds and 4-6" at 100

Cheers

Towsey

Probably a stupid question, Towsey, but are you shooting from a rest or offhand?

Tried it prone with bipod and also resting with me touching nothing but the trigger. I do think it's the rifle but I was just wanting to pick the brains of people who have had more to do with 455's than me. I thought the problem would be mainly the extremely tight barrel screws and the lad in the gun shop thought it would be mainly because the stock was touching the barrel a bit, but who knows. Il just have to see wot they say, as long as I end up with a more typically accurate and reliable cz then that's the main thing

Cheers

Towsey

Wot are people's thoughts or experience with putting pillars into these rifles? Is it worth it and would it be more worth it if I was go get a .17 barrel aswell so I would be taking the stock off more often?

Thanks

Towsey

I haven't bothered with mine as yet - I fitted it into an aftermarket Boyd's stock, and it seems to be shooting pretty well, especially with Eley Edge, which is generally shooting about 1" at 100m, although there are still some unexplained flyers, so actual group size is probably nearer 2". I consider this pretty good for a .22rf from a bench off bipod outdoors.

I do intend to bed it at some point, just haven't got around to it yet. Suspect it won't improve things much though.

I hope yours comes back shooting how it should.

Yeah thanks, me too

I have been looking for those stocks but with no real joy, where did you get yours from and for how much, also, do you find it better to use, I've been told it makes the length of pull a bit long???

Thanks again

Towsey

I ended up getting mine from Rimfire Magic - was a bit dearer than getting it direct from Boyds, but quicker and more certain. I wanted something that replicated the McMillan stock on my .308 (vaguely at least!!), and the "Tacticool" (or whatever it is currently being called) seemed close enough.

The stock is still shorter than my McMillan - I am 6'1", so slightly taller than average I suppose, but would not say the stock was overly long. As a means of replicating my .308 set-up for practice its pretty good, but I would like checkering/texturing on grip and fore end, as mine is the pretty laminated version rather than the textured black painted one.

Overall I like it.

I see you are up north, so offering you a chance to try it is probably pointless, unless you are coming to the far south west sometime soon, in which case you'd be welcome..

Well that's typical...I used to go down near Tiverton to see my aunt but she's moved over to the east side nearer London now, or I may well have taken you up on that kind offer, thanks

I dearnt just go and order one without ever seeing or using one, plus it's only for a .22lr hunting rifle (if I get it sorted that is). How much was it if you don't mind me asking

Cheers

Towsey

I honestly don't remember what I paid.

Looks like they are charging £150 for them currently, so not super cheap.

What stock does your rifle have currently? I took off a standard laminate thumbhole stock from mine (I don't like thumbholes).

1in9...cheers for that il keep an eye on that. How does import tax work tho?

Bushdog...mines a black synthetic stock, I don't mind it to be honest but the butt pad is just slippy hard plastic on them and a bit more cheek piece would be nice and I like the look of the grip

Towsey

I've got a synthetic stocked 452 in .17hmr - it's not my favourite thing, but the hmr does not get used all that often at present, so it stays as it is. I had to trim it a bit to get a Timney trigger in it and was disappointed with the material it was made of - seemed almost like bitumen or something inside, so I don't know how easy it would be to work on your stock - maybe a bit of plastic padding to get the grip shape and cheek-piece you want and a rattle-can spray job to tidy it initially?

Has your rifle returned fixed yet?

Well daft as it sounds, I thought the standard wood stock on the 455 felt more plasticy than my synthetic stock ha, mine has got that soft grip effect tho. It looks like some composite plastic type stuff with webs all over when you take the action out, but I had a little play before sending it away and it sands like wood

No, it's been 2 weeks today and I've not heard a thing, but I have no idea how long it takes

Towsey

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the advise, il have to ring them direct cos I don't have a lot of faith in the gun shop I bought it from and took it back to. I was just trying to start a conversation about warranty claims on rifles tho, not just carping on about it

Towsey

Well, got a phone call today saying I'm getting a brand new rifle from Edgar brothers. They said they aren't sure wots wrong with my rifle but there is clearly an issue as the best that 2 of their armoury blokes could do is inch and half groups at 50yds. They are even giving me 500 of the rounds that I have been using as an extra for the inconvenience! I spoke to Tom from the armoury and he couldn't of been any more helpful...well chuffed

Towsey

1in9...cheers for that il keep an eye on that. How does import tax work tho?

If you can get a $99 one Boyd's ship it to you via USPS, on arrival Parcelforce will bill you for import duty, VAT and a £10 fee, so around £33, once paid (easy online) they will send it on to you.

Archived