.223 velocity

sandtrap

Loaded some 50grn blitz kings with 27grns of CFE223 and measured velocity at 2920fps . Hogdens data suggests speed to be around 3300fps but that's with a 24" barrel and my AR has a 20" .

I know the hogdens site is a guide but I wouldn't of thought 4" of barrel would equate to 380fps ?

Twist rate ?

How much powder is still not burnt by the time it exits ?

How accurate is Hogdons data ?

Primers ?

Loads of reasons could be to do with it ..

I alway find I get vast difference in fps in my 20" barrel 1:9 than my friend gets in his 24" 1:12

And we both are less than book speed

Isn't CFE223 a fine ball powder like H335?

IIRC It's recommended to use magnum primers for H335, I wonder if that's the case with CFE223?

Loaded some 50grn blitz kings with 27grns of CFE223 and measured velocity at 2920fps . Hogdens data suggests speed to be around 3300fps but that's with a 24" barrel and my AR has a 20" .

I know the hogdens site is a guide but I wouldn't of thought 4" of barrel would equate to 380fps ?

No, 4-inches of barrel will never equate to a 380 fps difference. 100 might be about right.

I was just looking at Hodgdon's Reloading Center online databank for CFE223 and the 80gn Sierra MK this afternoon and having previously run the combination through QuicklOAD reckon it seems very conservative indeed. CFE seems a considerably slower burning powder than the Hodgdon data suggest.

I've tried the powder in 308 where results, especially velocities are good and will give it a go in 223 shortly. I did get hangfires and misfires in 308 with small primer Lapua 'Palma' brass, so this IS one ball powder that needs a vigorous ignition source. I would always recommend magnum or BR primers with any full-pressure 223 loading anyway - most standard SR primers with their 20 thou' thick cups are too weak for this application having been originally intended for much lower pressure cartridges such as the .22 Hornet and Bee and .222 Rem sees them at their limits.

With my 24" 1:8 twist am getting 3400fps with vit N133 cci400 primer and 53gr vmax.

May I enquire how many grains of N133?

I get 3140fps with that bullet from my 20" 1:12" barrel burning 24.5gn N133. I could maybe squeeze an absolute max of 26gn to fill the case but I doubt I'd get to 3400fps.

Ran some over the magneto today

27grns CFE223. Gave 2700fps

27.5grns =. 2900fps

28grns = 3000fps Seems slow to me for a 50grn bullet ?

28grns would be about the limit I'd say

Perhaps I need to find a new powder for this bullet or just stick solely to the 69grn SMK and TMK

27.5grns =. 2900fps

My original post states 27grns but it must have been 27.5grns

Perhaps I need to find a new powder for this bullet or just stick solely to the 69grn SMK and TMK

24.9gn N133 run over a magneto v3.

Thanks for that.

It looks like your longer barrel really does give quite a bit more velocity. I'm very happy with the accuracy of N133, but I have some N130 to try which burns a bit faster and may suit my short barrel better.

Sandtrap,,,,I,m thinking there is either a something wrong with your powder measure/method/equipment etc or a fault with your chrono,,,,,,never ever seen a 100 fps jump with .5gn increase,,,,?,,,,,O

yes im not convinced that all is ok here ! but the powder / scales are bob on ! so must be the chrono .. it a magneto speed V2 I think . and now you say I do recall the bullet selection didn't seem right . think its set to lead bullet rather that lead core and metal jacket . but im away at work now for next 10 days so will check once home

27.5grns =. 2900fps

I use h4895 and h335. I am getting close to 3100 with the 69gr tmks with h335. This powder meters really well and there's still some room in the case with only slightly flattened primers. I actually tried more powder which ended up with less velocity which told me my load is pretty much at the optimum burn for my cartridge. You can attain these velocities with h4895-25.5 g, varget - 26.4 g, imr4064 - 25.9g also vihtavori n140 and n540 around the26.5 grain mark. As always work up a load as these are fairly hot loads which may not suit your rifle. The tmks are devastating on foxes. Virtually no exit wounds at all. The last one I shot I had to look for the entry wound for about 5 minutes. It looked as if it was sleeping!

CFE is too slow burning for 50s. I'd say it only really comes into its own with 69s and heavier. H335 is the St, Marks Powder Co's canister equivalent of the bulk WC 844 used in the M193 55gn bullet version of the 5.56X45mm and is a much better match to this bullet weight. Alternatively, consider Viht N133 which is a very good performer in 50-55gn 223 loads,

Archived