My first muntjac double on my permission

A couple of weeks ago I hauled myself out of my scratcher at evil o'clock to go out on the farm. It had been quite a while since my last trip, so even though I felt like I'd been ridden hard and put away wet I tiptoed into the spare room and donned my ready kit. Out from the safe came the Sako Finnlight in 6.5 x 55mm and Norma factory ammo.

On the drive to my permission I realised that I had - once again - forgotten my little compact Nikon camera. "Sod it", I philosophised, "even if I score - and I probably won't - I've got the manky camera on my Jurassic-era 'phone."

I arrived just before dawn and kitted up. A study of the most productive area through my 8 x 42 Leicas revealed a pair of muntjac, one larger and dark, one smaller and pale. They were ambling slowly along a hedge line 300 or 400 yards away. Game on!

I followed, gaining steadily. About 120 yards from where an old dead tree stands in the hedge, the larger munty entered the hedge and was lost to my sight; the smaller munty stopped and looked to my right, into the hedge and the 30-acre field. He stood still long enough for me to deploy sticks and mount the rifle for a textbook 90° chest shot.

TIishh-pok! Down in his tracks. Roughly 0520 hrs.

I reloaded, folded the sticks and went to walk up to the fallen deer. As I did so, the second, larger, deer walked back into view through the hedge. It stood still 100 yards away, apparently looking at the dead one. I could almost visualise it nudging the prone deer with its hoof and saying, "Stop messing around Geoff, there's crops to be eaten!" It presented a perfect 90° shot again.

I re-deployed the sticks and rifle, flicked the safety to Fire, and put a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip just behind his shoulder.

TIishh-pok! Down in his tracks. Two grassed in less than two minutes.

It was at this point that I remembered that today of all days, I had no camera.

Arriving at the scene I removed my ancient Sony 'phone from my thigh pocket, selected Camera and pressed what I thought was the shutter button. Up popped a menu offering shooting options. I deselected that and tried again. Same result. After several tries and much foul language I realised that the gralloching pixies hadn't arrived, so I had to set to work, cursing my luck at not having a record of this momentous occasion.

Just recently it occurred to me that I could - in the manner of Hollywood - reenact the occasion through the magic of computer-generated imagery, so here it is, courtesy of my mad Photoshop skillz!

Muntjac%20inverted%20speech%20bubble%200

Just like being there or what?

maximus otter

The only reminder of hunting that matters is your personal memory of what it meant to you.

A photo showing which direction an animal fell when dead is largely irrelevant,I'd have thought.

Actually,thinking a moment,such photos actually diminish the experience,for me.

Others may need them.

Worth asking yourself though what it is really about before beating yourself up for no meat camera-or just fake it,as here!

gbal

Agreed, pictures are seldom necessary and I usually only take them out of boredom when I have been lying in a field of Winter Wheat for three hours with nothing to show for my time or similar. I never take pictures of what I have shot.

Archived