Beer Can Bolt Fix.

Elk hunter

Since buys my Ruger 77 .22 Hornet I've done all I can to make it shoot the best it possibly can without any formal gunsmiths training and Google is your friend.

As its a make one there is very little that can be done to the trigger as its just a spring and two sears, but Google helped. Found a diagram of the angles that would make the pull far lighter. This was an easy fix although delicate but has produced a nice light crisp trigger.

While reading the web many take of putting a 1mm thick shim in between the two halves of the bolt. Making it tighter and removing the play, but the biggest thing is it helps load and seat and aline case in the chamber better. Apparently making it accurate.

So could I find a shim anywhere without buying 30 plus. But while sitting having a beer it came to me, cans are about 1mm thick. To the recycling bin and to the shed.

76baaa6bcfb219efd18f75cac491a237.jpg

Big Question, does it work?

I don't know, but the bolt feel tight and true, the the trigger is a spot on 2lb pull, my extreme spreads are only 10fps and corvids at 200 yards are no problem. Loving the rifle.

200 yards on a very still day.

ede512f79e35796af3f91ee746d684b2.jpg

Andrew.

Don't Timney do a kit for the Rugers?

If that's a 1moa group, its still not that good for a .22 Hornet, My CZ 527 .22 Hornet at worst shot 3/4" groups that was with 40gn remington hollow points, and with Hornady 35 gn Vmax just under 1/2", it is now a .22 K Hornet with a stainless Border cut rifled barrel. on a good day without too much coffee it will deliver 1/4" group with 40gn Vmax bullets (not heads) over lilgun powder. The only one of my rifles i would never part with.

If that's a 1moa group, its still not that good for a .22 Hornet, My CZ 527 .22 Hornet at worst shot 3/4" groups that was with 40gn remington hollow points, and with Hornady 35 gn Vmax just under 1/2", it is now a .22 K Hornet with a stainless Border cut rifled barrel. on a good day without too much coffee it will deliver 1/4" group with 40gn Vmax bullets (not heads) over lilgun powder. The only one of my rifles i would never part with.

2456aecacc2d4c91caa429892f9af061.jpg

40gr SHP. The group above is 100 yards the one in my original post was 200 yards. I'll add that now so there's no confusion.

The rifle is very accurate.

Andrew.

2456aecacc2d4c91caa429892f9af061.jpg

40gr SHP. The group above is 100 yards the one in my original post was 200 yards. I'll add that now so there's no confusion.

The rifle is very accurate.

Andrew.

Excellent then. its a keeper.

My CZ 527 American shoots like this. The Hornet can be very accurate. My own experiences with a 77/Hornet were not as satisfying; I got one of the first ones in Montana and accuracy was so miserable, with handloads or factory, that I sold it after three months of banging my head against the wall. My best group was about 3" at 50M. When Ruger was contacted, they said they couldn't do anything about my poor marksmanship. I didn't buy another Ruger CF rifle until I bought my RPR.~Andrew

PS: Nice to see someone still using a genuine vernier caliper. I wonder how many members are wondering how to read it?

PS: Nice to see someone still using a genuine vernier caliper. I wonder how many members are wondering how to read it?

My next door neighbour was throwing it out, he told me it didn't work because it wasn't accurate enough. Seems just fine to me.

Andrew

Archived