Hornady ELD's

Dac9976

Hi all

Has anyone tried the above?

Just be told that 140gr Amax have been discontinued, and the ELDs are replacing them.

Cheers

Danny.

Amax and ELD are the same bullet just new high heat tip. ELDX is different and supposedly match grade hunting bullet. Haven't loaded any but shot a box of factory ELDX 143 out of my 6.5 Creedmoor only out to 500yds sub moa.

Thanks for the feedback:)

I'm a bit gutted Amax has been discontinued but I suppose there's other bullets to use.

Will probably give the ELDs a bash when they become more readily available.

Cheers

Danny.

ELD s are not Amax-that is clear from Hornady's descriptors.But they might be close.

The "heat shield tip' is new (though plastic tips'were not a significant issue'for varminting and hunting) and there will be minimal heat distortion with this new plastic.Hmmmmm....

Good luck in distinguishing 'excellent consistency' (Amax) and 'extreme consistency (ELD)-most of the descriptors are advertising hype-"superior'...to what etc,though the ELD have "the highest possible BC in their class"-no,though they may have the best so far....

All this is pretty standard advertising hype for new products-especially when introducing a new design which is very similar to an existing one (both ELD and Amax are secant boat tail,with plastic tips).

Fine,I doubt that the ELD will be inferior for match shooting.

The new ELDX are explicitly a hunting bullet (controlled expansion) whereas there was the perhaps notorious now 'not recommended for hunting' A max with 'explosive expansion and limited penetration'-again a little vague (what is 'limited').Good luck sorting that out,in the UK context. The real test will presumably be how ELDX perform in hunting.

Well,that's what Hornady are saying,and take away the hype,and it's maybe not much for the ELD/ Amax issue. I could see nothing about phasing out Amax,but there may be reduced overlap with ELD.

It's not quite 'plus ca change,plus c'est la meme chose',and it seems more additional choices,maybe better defined. I don't get the feeling for a radically new wheel. There are other choices,of course.(currently without 'heat shield tips',of course if that bothers target shooters suffering from droop nose bullets.) :-)

gbal

Bugger:(

From what i understand, IF they were planning on offering an ELD for a particular style of A-Max they would stop the AMAX production and simply sell the ELD. If they had no plans on offering an ELD for a particular AMAX style, then the AMAX will continue to be produced. A 140 ELD will be identical the 140AMAX except for the heat resistant tip.~Andrew

• 1 month later...

in the 7mm 162gr ELD Match they are a different profile to the old162gr Amax. I would imagine that it will be the same for any of the other new ELD's that replace the Amax's

Finally got some ELDs and had a look at them . They are 7mm 162gr that look like the old A MAX that I have shot out to 1644 yards and go through the transonic zone very well at sea level.

ELDs

Weight from 162 to 161.6 average 161.8
Oal to ogive longest 741.5 shortest 734.5 average 739

So not much different than the A max not great quality
On the box it now says 1-9.5 twist for the ELDs where the A max use to say 1-8 so not sure why that is. It also says BC .313G7 on the box the web site now says BC. 329 G7

I tested at 100 yard with the same load I use for A max. The first thing I noticed the primer was flatter showing more pressure. Over a chrono they showed 30 fps slower.

At 1000 yards I shot both A max and ELDs with 45 gr of H4350 behind them, both in Lapua cases with CCI primers seated at the same depth. The ELDs even though they were slower (this time by 18fps) hit the target 1.25 MOA higher. I believe the true BC to be around .325.

From what I've seen testing I think they are NOT just the old A max with a new tip.

I'll be testing to see if they go transonic this weekend.

Archived