atn x sight 3x14

nigel

Just wandering has any body got one of these night vision and if so what are they like ,i am thinking of getting one for my 17 hmr for use in daylight and night time.

I will be getting a drone pro 15x for my sako 85 22-250 when the become available shortly would like one for each rifle but quite a big expence.Will be taking off my lovely Zeiss 6x24x56 FL and putting on the Drone pro any info please.

Step away from the X-sight......

Great digital day scope, but not good at night.

I and 2 of my shooting buddies, got them as soon as they was released, gave them a good test, & all of us agreed that they were not that great... Certainly not as good as a Photon, N550, N750 or Drone ( listed in order of cost )

Unless they sorted out the auto brightness / focus with the IR, that the old unit did, I would say NO ..

I liked the unit, but it had 1 major flaw ..

The issue imo, was the fact that if you had an object down field, that would reflect a large signature, then you could see around it, or past it, clear enough..

I shoot fields with WW2 pill boxes in them, as soon as you scanned towards one, the unit would blur out the background, no amount of manual adjustment would help, or IR, .. It was like the unit become fixed on that object and wouldn't allow you to see round it..

This imo, meant that I could not take clear shots, as I could not use the peripheral to see for danger.

I also felt that the unit was very IR hungry..

The basic problem with the X Sight is that the 2.1 megapixel HD sensor, which gives terrific images in daylight, has very small pixels which are not sensitive to low levels of light (visible or IR)

Pixel sensitivity is directly related to the surface area of the pixel with bigger pixels being more sensitive than small pixels

No matter how much fancy computing power you throw at the problem, if the sensor does not produce a significant signal, there's nothing decent to display.

The Photon and the Drone use the same size sensor as the X Sight (1/3) but they have many fewer pixels, typically around 0.3-0.4 megapixels.

This means that the individual pixels in these devices have much more surface area than in the X Sight and are therefore much more sensitive in a low light environment.

In fact, the surface area of a pixel in a Photon is more then 6 times larger than the surface area of a pixel in an X Sight.

In simple terms, that makes the Photon 6 times more sensitive than the X Sight when the only light available is what is reflected from an IR illuminator.

Cheers

Bruce

Phoenix - makes perfect sense to me & would confirm the thoughts we had in the field ...

If it wasn't for that 1 major flaw, I liked it the concept, apart from all the nonsense gadgets they tried to fit it with, that just kills battery's.

But yeah, 3 of us tried them for 3 weeks , at an average of about 12 sessions each, before deciding against continuing with the unit, so we sent them back.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have an X-sight 5-20 mk1 on my 22-250 and I know there have been teething problems with them. I reset my X-Sight back to the factory settings in the "setup" menu and then downloaded the latest firmware from the ATN website and I have had no problems with it. Also in the setup menu make sure that it is set on the correct lens for your scope.... I shot 2 fox cubs the other night at gone midnight and they were past 200yards out, I have a drop angle mount for my ir torch so that I can focus easily..... If I sent it back to ATN it would only be to get the Mk2 which I understand is better.

Archived