old school AI AWP vs new school AI AXMC

ds1

Though that I would compare the feature sets of my AWP and AXMC. The AWP was state of the art about 15 or so years ago, the AXMC is state of the art now. The bottom line is the AWP is more robust and the AXMC more adaptable and modular.

DSC_0429_zpsgnoyny64.jpg

My AWP is set up with a NXS scope, which was excellent in its day and still bloody good now, however for tactical type comps the March FX 5-40x56 ffp on the AXMC is head and shoulders above it (cannot say enough good about this scope). The NXS is tied to the AWP with an AI mount - it is ok but nothing more and pales next to the Spuhr on the AXMC, the Spuhr is excellent, strong but light and modular.....the only things that I am not keen on are the torx bolts, would rather have allen bolts.

Bipods, the rifles have Harris BRMS on them, ubiquitous and work well. I do have others including Parker Hale, carbon and f-class bipods. The Phoenix bipod seems an excellent idea for the AXMC tube forend though.

On to the rifles. Stock adjustments, the AWP gives you all you really need, LOP adjustment by spacers, cheek piece adjustment and the height of the butt pad can be adjusted too. The AXMC gives you the same sort of adjustments with thumb screws rather than allen keys but are not as solid, just easier to adjust. The part that holds the adjustable thumb wheel for the butt pad is plastic and the butt pad screws into this, or rather small brass inserts - looks more at home on a Blaser than an AI The right side folding of the AXMC is a good feature.

The rear monopods.......the AWP is built into the chassis and the AXMC is modular and can be replaced with a bag rider. There is less slop with the AXMC monopod .

Stocks and grips......no issue for me with the AWP thumb hole but some people cannot get on with them. The grip on the AXMC feels the same to me, nice that it can be changed to suit different hand sizes though.

The triggers seem the same - same adjustments sear and weight screws. The AXMC has an adjustable trigger shoe.....on one hand nice to adjust to your finger length, on the other a chocolate screwdriver if it comes loose or falls off.

The mag systems are good on both rifles. The AXMC can take CIP length rounds in 338 LM - loaded mine to a COAL of 95mm with 300 grainers and suits the barrel 1:9.33 twist.

Sling attachment points - AWP sling points are bomb proof. I have much more confidence in these that the button AXMC ones.

Forends......The AXMC has the tube type with keymod system.......time will tell if the keymods come loose, otherwise nicer than a full length picatinny cheese grater. Other than that the tube adds weight and can get clogged with crap - end of free floating barrel. It is really only useful if you have NV. The forend tube also changes scope height above the barrel 7.5cm with the AXMC as opposed to 5cm with the AWP.

Bolt and receivers, same system.....excellent. The AXMC has a larger diameter bolt and 6 lugs instead of 3 but same design really.

Barrel changes......you need a barrel vice and kit for the AWP . For the AXMC you need a 4mm allen wrench and can go from 308 to 300wm to 338LM with a bolt and mag kit. However the receiver is cut along the barrel threads so it clamps, I would not want to constantly exchange barrels with this system.

The USA forums tend to describe anything new as an upgrade.......I think looking at the feature set you want can be more productive. I can see the product development in the AXMC and there are many good features but there are also good features with the AWP as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In many ways the thinking man's Ai is the AT. All the AW goodness plus easy caliber changes within the 308 parent case family

So 308w for practice and a hot 6mm for comps.

They hold a good price Gary.

The older AW and AE also,

Fantastic, durable rifles.

They hold a good price Gary.

The older AW and AE also,

Fantastic, durable rifles.

I know, i had an AE.

Im getting those urges again, fancy an AWM in 300 winmag or an AW rebarreled in 6xc.

I managed to buy my AW the last year they were made. It is a 2012 rifle (I swapped the stocksides for the old style and found an older brake for it).

I hear that the factory is going to do another run of AW in 308 (both folders and non-folders apparently). If anyone is interested, I believe Sporting Services can provide the details.

I've got an old AWM in 300 Win Mag, it was made in 1999 but when I got it a few years ago it had only done a few hundred rounds and is still virtually unmarked. It mainly shoots 190 grain SMKs but shoots well with 200 and 220s. Managed to get an old 10 x 40 B&L Tactical scope for it that was still in the box with all the instructions and even the original cleaning cloth! I really enjoy using it but not too sure about the people either side with the muzzle brake.

Also got an Mk3 AE which shoots very well, just need to try and get a set of the older stock sides as I prefer the look of them.

I would definitely be interested in an original AW if I could lay my hands on one.

I've got an old AWM in 300 Win Mag, it was made in 1999 but when I got it a few years ago it had only done a few hundred rounds and is still virtually unmarked. It mainly shoots 190 grain SMKs but shoots well with 200 and 220s. Managed to get an old 10 x 40 B&L Tactical scope for it that was still in the box with all the instructions and even the original cleaning cloth! I really enjoy using it but not too sure about the people either side with the muzzle brake.

Also got an Mk3 AE which shoots very well, just need to try and get a set of the older stock sides as I prefer the look of them.

I would definitely be interested in an original AW if I could lay my hands on one.

Contact Sporting Services and you might !!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything more about the latest run? Prices?

I don't think it is within the official secrets act as a phone call to SS will confirm. An AW in L115A3 spec new = £4920. 12 were made for the latest order. I bought No 10 so there may be one or two left.

I don't think it is within the official secrets act as a phone call to SS will confirm. An AW in L115A3 spec new = £4920. 12 were made for the latest order. I bought No 10 so there may be one or two left.

Would love one, not that much though! If I hadn't taken VR and I have a job lined up then maybe :D

I was thinking of a RPR, however I think I should just bite the bullet (excuse the pun) and buy the AI AT .308 as I wanted originally :wacko:

Buy the AI AT , I have a few AIs , AW , AWM & AX338 , and a new RPR , the Ruger is NOT a AI , not even close , buy the best get a AI , the RPR makes alot of sense in the USA , makes less sense on a sliding scale in other countries , where you pay 2-3x what they sell for in the USA .

Not anti Ruger , in NZ we pay not quite double , in the UK you are maybe close to 3x the USA price .

Buy the AI AT , I have a few AIs , AW , AWM & AX338 , and a new RPR , the Ruger is NOT a AI , not even close , buy the best get a AI , the RPR makes alot of sense in the USA , makes less sense on a sliding scale in other countries , where you pay 2-3x what they sell for in the USA .

Not anti Ruger , in NZ we pay not quite double , in the UK you are maybe close to 3x the USA price .

I hear what you are saying Chris, and I have to agree with you. The problem I have is explaining a £3-4k spend on a rifle to the wife :o

I also wish we paid US prices in the UK for equipment manufactured domestically, that is another story!

My mate has just picked up a new AX 308, finished in the new light green colour, (which is nice!)

The fit and finish is very good, paint and plastic match pretty close, so overall a very nice bit of kit.

On a purely personal level i still think its funny looking, it doesn't flow, for me its all to top heavy, no doubt it will shoot pukka , AI's generally do.

But its all a matter of personal taste, for me the AT is the new AW , and now AI are fitting a much lower rail , and offering a thumb hole conversion

the AT is now a worthy successor to an AW.

:)

This is a good comparison review and I agree with the bottom line conclusions. The AX chassis is much more flexible but the AW build quality is still right up there. It's probably subjective but to me the AT doesn't feel as robust as the AW, but it definitely represents a real improvement in value for money (at least in AI terms compared to the previous AW pricing). Although it's only a personal preference, I still much prefer the classic look of the AW over any of the newer models. I guess others must do too or the factory wouldn't be producing another batch of AW 308 models for sale....

AW%20vs%20AT%20vs%20AX_zps4rnvwikd.jpg

Though that I would compare the feature sets of my AWP and AXMC. The AWP was state of the art about 15 or so years ago, the AXMC is state of the art now. The bottom line is the AWP is more robust and the AXMC more adaptable and modular

Although that would be nice , ie AI thinking of its civie customers , I think that the real reason is more inclined to be , that AI have contracts with Military customers that have AIs in service , as reguards to continuing to support those AI old model rifles in use , thru making new spare parts to complete rifles if that makes sense for the projected life of the system/rifle etc .

Archived