69 grain SMK in Steyr Scout

Shootist

I managed to shoot the attached target at 185 yards using my somewhat aged Steyr Scout 19" barrel 9"twist. The load was SMK 69 grain in front of 25 grains of Viht N140. I decided to try 140 over my usual 133 for economy of purchase as I use 140 in my .30 and a few other rifles. I was chuffed at the result but when I put the load through Quickload it nearly had hysterics, describing it as a dangerous load! No signs of over pressure were observed, bolt opened as normal, primers not what I'd call flattened, no crater around the firing pin indentation. Not too bad for a standard factory rifle. I had another group of the same size bar one flyer, which was the first round out of a cold clean barrel.

Any comments on the load, in respect of possible overload?

post-12171-0-02660600-1458566075_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Shootist,

A bit late in the day, but I found your post while looking up load data for the 69 SMKs and 25 grains of N140 for my rifle, also a Steyr.

Max load is 25.9 according to Vihtavouri.

What COL are you using?

Cheers

Clive

Hi Shootist,

Thanks for the very speedy reply to a bit of an old thread.

Your excellent shooting has inspired some tinkering with this load.

If I can get it to shoot as well as you have, then that would be very handy as my 36 and 40 grain bullet loads for night use with N120 are volumetrically identical to 25 grains of N140, so I can preset the one measure to do it all for the .223 (light bullets for the field and the 69 SMKs for the range).

Cheers

Clive

Archived