DIY Turret Wraps

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if its possible to buy turret caps for nightforce scopes and have a few different caps calibrated to different atmospheric conditions?

That would be ideal!

Could also do if lives on two different rifles. Write down the new zero, set the turrets, add new turrets set to zero. Ready to be fitted to the other rifle

Hunter686, which method / programmedid you use to create these? The one from the original post? These wraps are great.....gona have to do some for my nxs

Yeh, i just downloaded QCAD after reading the OP and set to work. Took me a while to to get the white on black tbh but I'm glad i did!

Ok. Got to a point where ive mastered the wrap and spacing but how on earth do you change the background colour? I've got black numbers on a white back ground and want vice a versa?

You have to separate the background and ballistics info by setting them on separate layers. You have to make sure the black box is the first layer followed by the writing there after. Best way is draw the sqaure then hatch it with a solid colour. Hatching option is in the menu on the left hand side.

Im not sure what you mean? If I try to hatch a section it tells me there is no boundary selected?

Draw the box the required size. Select the box (Lines go burgundy) then hatch it the colour you want.

I'll try and add this to the tutorial tomorrow :-)

Any other requests for how to do things?

Great tutorial but how do you get the hash marks in qcad to line up exactly with the ones on your turrets?

I've managed to do it via trial, error and printing half a rain forest just by slightly adjusting the x and y settings in drawing preference / grid until they line up but there must be an easier way? My scopes are March and NF .125 MOA

Great tutorial but how do you get the hash marks in qcad to line up exactly with the ones on your turrets?

I've managed to do it via trial, error and printing half a rain forest just by slightly adjusting the x and y settings in drawing preference / grid until they line up but there must be an easier way? My scopes are March and NF .125 MOA

I found doing the pie to 3 decimal places worked best. Same goes for your grid spacing. Remember Nf are American so they will be dealing in imperial so if you take a metric measurement and its a wierd number like 32.98 then double check and go with it, don't round it no matter how close it seems to a whole number because if you check the imperial measurement it most likely will be a whole number.

My first attempt i missed the 3 decimal ie. 0.008 of a mm and i ended up .16 out over the length of the wrap, enough to throw it out.

Best of luck

I found doing the pie to 3 decimal places worked best. Same goes for your grid spacing. Remember Nf are American so they will be dealing in imperial so if you take a metric measurement and its a wierd number like 32.98 then double check and go with it, don't round it no matter how close it seems to a whole number because if you check the imperial measurement it most likely will be a whole number.

My first attempt i missed the 3 decimal ie. 0.008 of a mm and i ended up .16 out over the length of the wrap, enough to throw it out.

Best of luck

Ok thanks, so how did you arrive at the number for the x and y grid spacing?

Ok thanks, so how did you arrive at the number for the x and y grid spacing?

Diameter of the turrets X 3.14 then divide that number by how many moa in a revolution (clicks) in my case 80 for the NF and that will give you the exact spacing for your hash marks

Related question: Does anyone know the exact diameter and relevant height (for wrap width) of the elevation turret on a Schmidt & Bender 5 - 25 x 56 PMII (double turn)?

I want to try and use this excellent step-by-step, but I've just hauled my 'scope out of the safe only to find that the battery in my digital calipers has gone flat...

:mad:

maximus otter