17 Hornet

onehole

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries.

Be careful when you load the Lovex. It is not as bad as Lil' Gun by no means, but I've found recently that I'm getting the occasional flyer. It has to be over-pressure. The crazy thing is, I'm not getting any other signs of over-pressure. Reloading eh? I'm thinking of pulling my load back to see where I can achieve the best consistency.

No worries.

Be careful when you load the Lovex. It is not as bad as Lil' Gun by no means, but I've found recently that I'm getting the occasional flyer. It has to be over-pressure. The crazy thing is, I'm not getting any other signs of over-pressure. Reloading eh? I'm thinking of pulling my load back to see where I can achieve the best consistency.

You will usually find best accuracy is some way back from max velocity, except in my experience 6PPC.

A

Anyone form your own cases ?

I'm looking into making the cases from .22 hornet,

I've contacted a friend who can make me a "Tween " die , to reduce the neck to .20 cal 1st.

He thinks it will cost about £ 40 - 30 depending on numbers ... Any one want one ?

There is loads of info on how to do it & it looks simple enough...

I've contacted a friend who can make me a "Tween " die , to reduce the neck to .20 cal 1st.

He thinks it will cost about £ 40 - 30 depending on numbers ... Any one want one ?

It may sound a silly question treetop, but can he do a good job of making it? I'll have one off you if he can.

It may sound a silly question treetop, but can he do a good job of making it? I'll have one off you if he can.

You will usually find best accuracy is some way back from max velocity, except in my experience 6PPC.

A

Yes, I run my other calibres a good deal back from the max load.

Hopefully I will be able to get out tomorrow and run sum test loads through the Hornet. I'll post my results.

They are a good engineering firm, and make plenty of commercial stuff...

So I would presume, so.. But wouldn't know till they are made, to be honest.

It's a relatively easy thing to make, if you have the correct tools

Cheers

Al.

Made them for my 17AH but these are teh same length at the shoulder as 22 Hornet, 17 HH is slightly shorter so the whole shoulder needs moving back. 17HH cases are available so no real reason not to use them that I am aware of.

A

It's all about the cost !

Hornady 17hh Brass - £ 35 for 50 therefore £ 70 for 100. ( only available make )

Privi .22 hornet brass - £ 21 for 100

The process is a simple one :-

Take 22 hornet brass, neck down to .20,

Then size in 17 HH fl die , trim to 1.355

Anneal shoulders / neck ... Then fireform

Most get really good accuracy even when fireforming the case.

Privi 22 hornet brass is actually slight larger capacity after fireforming than Hornady factory ,

Privi - 13.85gr

Hornady 13.40 gr

And both have the same wall thickness. Privi has a slightly larger flash hole.

Some do use the 17 hornet seating die to start the neck ( down to .20 cal ) but it doesn't work with all dies ( like the telescopic Hornady seating die ) it crushes the case.

Mick,

Yeah, I know ....

That's a great source of info , read that lot before & that's where I got the idea for making my Tween die

Ps... It Is www.saubier.com

But the auto txt changes it ! Lol

Let me know the price when you confirm the numbers mate. If it isn't to expensive I will have one with you. ;)

Tremo

It's all about the cost !

Hornady 17hh Brass - £ 35 for 50 therefore £ 70 for 100. ( only available make )

Privi .22 hornet brass - £ 21 for 100

The process is a simple one :-

Take 22 hornet brass, neck down to .20,

Then size in 17 HH fl die , trim to 1.355

Anneal shoulders / neck ... Then fireform

Most get really good accuracy even when fireforming the case.

Privi 22 hornet brass is actually slight larger capacity after fireforming than Hornady factory ,

Privi - 13.85gr

Hornady 13.40 gr

And both have the same wall thickness. Privi has a slightly larger flash hole.

Some do use the 17 hornet seating die to start the neck ( down to .20 cal ) but it doesn't work with all dies ( like the telescopic Hornady seating die ) it crushes the case.

DONT GO DOWN THE COST ROUTE WITH THIS CASE.

The Hornet spaces on the head, therefore consistant rim thickness is more important than normal. My 17AH was built to use RWS brass, this has a thick rim. I bought some cheap Remmy brass with thinner rims and had problems.

If the rifle is chambered 17HH then buy the Hornady brass, its not that expensive.

A

Taken from a different site,

But all the reports show no differance with accuracy.

Thanks for that, I have seen it but it does well illustrate my point,

RWS all pretty consistant at around 0.0630, my remmy brass averages .0618. The head space is set up on the rim, using a thinner rim increases head space and I was having primer back out at no more than moderate pressures.

A

Surely, if this were a major problem, our friends across the pond would already be commenting on the primer problems? Just about the only problem reported is that occasionally the resizing process causes the case to split on fire forming. In addition, there have been innumerable complaints about the quality of Hornady brass, along with primers that would not seat correctly.

A lot of the information and resource for UK reloading, especially with these small calibers, comes from forums such as saubier.com, where quite extensive, and sometimes anal, research goes into testing primers, cases, loads, bullets for the 17 calibers. Thus far I haven't seen one mention of primer problems.

However, your warning is appreciated and duly noted. If there are any problems with the process of fire forming the Privi brass I would immediately stop and start using Hornady until another, better, option becomes available.

I should add. The guys on saubier.com EXCLUSIVELY recommend using either: RWS, PRIVI or Hornady

What COAL was you using ?

I use 1.720 ,

Which is longer than factory but still has room

The max my mag will take is 1.765". At the moment I have mine roughly 10 thou back from that (I always try and keep the jump to the lands as short as possible with all my handloads), although I am in the process of tweaking my seating depth and powder weight.

Hi Alycidon. If you dont mind me saying so, i think you are missing one of the main plus points of reloading the 17hornet either Ackley or Hornady. The rim thickness becomes obsolete, in that you now have a bolt face and proper shoulder, the same as rimless/bottleneck cartridges. When resizing just nudge shoulder back 2thou or neck size the same as with any rimless/bottleneck case. Headspace will not be a problem then. You can also put hornet cases in your Wilson trimmer backwards and turn all the rims to the same thickness if you want.

I think the main point to watch for when fire-forming 17 hornet from 22 hornet is to make sure it shortens and doesent stretch in length.

Surely, if this were a major problem, our friends across the pond would already be commenting on the primer problems? Just about the only problem reported is that occasionally the resizing process causes the case to split on fire forming. In addition, there have been innumerable complaints about the quality of Hornady brass, along with primers that would not seat correctly.

A lot of the information and resource for UK reloading, especially with these small calibers, comes from forums such as saubier.com, where quite extensive, and sometimes anal, research goes into testing primers, cases, loads, bullets for the 17 calibers. Thus far I haven't seen one mention of primer problems.

However, your warning is appreciated and duly noted. If there are any problems with the process of fire forming the Privi brass I would immediately stop and start using Hornady until another, better, option becomes available.

I should add. The guys on saubier.com EXCLUSIVELY recommend using either: RWS, PRIVI or Hornady

Its not a primer problem. Mine is a semi custom 17AH, one of the first in the UK some 10 or 12 years ago. Having spoken to the builder subsequently it was head spaced for RWS brass so I recently have bought and prepped 100 of them ready to load having fought shy of that when I needed some just after buying the rifle and unknowingly bought Remmy and thus created the problem.

I have been a member on Saubier since early 2007, as you say they are an excellent source of info. They recently put together a members order for from memory 100,000 RWS Hornet cases, serious shooters. Be interested to see how any Privi brass goes, always thought it was cheap and nasty but those tolerances are pretty good.

17 Squirrel,

When my rifle was launched it was FL dies only that were available so while I neck size both my other calibers that one I FL size. I set the die up using the bolt, take out the firing pin, reassemble bolt, I just want to feel the shoulder touch as the bolt cams down. I do need to re check that I have not moved it for some reason and am resizing to far as that would also create the issue. I usually do my cases in fair size batches so dont reload every month normally and with rapidly advancing years the memory is not what it once was.

Apologies for the thread de rail.

A

Archived