17 Hornet

onehole

Following the most recent HMR bashing hehe!,,,,,,have I missed any in depth posts on the 17 Hornet? all the reviews I,ve seen and read are basically talked up mag and journalistic reports,,,,can we have some hands on reports guys even some real performance figures and grouping/load tests etc etc from our home brewers,,,perhaps there,s a few rebarrelled and customs out there? show me sell it me,,,,,,O

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I to would be very interested to hear and see what's out there at the moment in .17 hornet and peoples real world experience as I've put in a one for one for this calibre and can't wait to get going on it. And hope I've done the right thing?

Hi what do you want to know ? i use mien on rabbits and crow out to 300 yards , also i kill away at foxes to 200 yards i have shot them further but most off my shooting on fox 200 is the max range any way , the reason i went for it . i was shooting a hmr and got fed up offf the that which promotes growth and vigour ammo so now i can load my own and have never looked back ,

Speak to Alycidon. He has a little beauty !!!!

Actually mine is a 17AH not a 17HH, on a new at the time CZ527 action put together by PRS maybe 10 years ago or more, think the barrel is a number 2 profile Pacnor but might be wrong. It was one of the first in the UK and was built for the founder of this site 6PPC. Its a lovely lightweight carry rifle that carries a decent punch. 17AH is a far older slightly longer case than the 17HH so a bit more capacity but it does not feed from a magazine.

I have been using 20 gs Vmax and 20gr Bergers in it at about 3500, never actually cronoed it but that feels about right. Anyway its a great rifle for smaller vermin given fairly low wind speeds. Furthest I have been with it is slightly over 200 yards on crows and one rabbit, center chest hit they go over well. Magpies can be in several pieces at 60 yards or so, I have had crows fly off with a big hole in them only to come down dead 200 yards away. Very tough are crows.

Two downsides, 1, wind, small pills get blown around, anything above about 8mph if I have to be out with a rifle I take a bigger one. 2, Despite vids I see and what people say I am not convinced its any sort of a fox round. I have killed a handfull of foxes with it out to about 150 yards but I have hit solidly and failed to pick 2 or 3 at ranges around 80 yards, all of those were front on bib shots. I am loading some 25gr bullets to try but I have lost one to a bib shot. On my trap round from July onwards when cubs may be more likely to be dropped on then I take a bigger (but alas heavier) rifle but earlier in the year all I take is the 17AH.

In all my years shooting centerfire rifles the only foxes I have ever hit and lost are with this 17AH. My 20BR has a 96% overall kill rate on foxes out to 300 yards so I doubt its the placement that is the issue. So if foxes are likely to feature then I would suggest a 20 /22 cal or a bigger case 17. Fireball brass is like hens teeth I am told but 17Rem should do all you want driving 25s and 30s at a good lick. Even then I would suggest a heavy bullet for foxy.

There is a post elsewhere tonight that the importers of 17HH factory ammo are stopping bringing it in, dont know it thats true or not but it might be worth a call to them ( Viking Arms ??) before getting to far along the 17HH road. The americans love the round, have a look at Saubier so I cant see that being much of a problem long term especially of you reload.

If this is a stand alone centerfire rifle get something bigger, if part of a balanced cabinate as it sounds like then be aware of its shortcomings. Sounds like you are looking for something to go under a NV set up, that shouts FOX. Put a 20 or 22 cal under it, does not need to be a big case, 204/223 will do fine.

A

It's cobblers about the availability of 17 hornet ammo by the way. I asked Edgar Brothers last night and had this reply, sadly I can't post on saubier.com to reply to the person there..

'Many thanks for the enquiry

I'm not sure where your information is from, as it's not accurate at all.

We have good stock of :

HORN-83005

SPF Varmint .17 Hornet 20gr V-MAX

With plenty on forward order

If you'd like to order any please do so via your local retailer'

I shoot s basic savage. Cut down to 18" and love it! Especially as a round. Homeloads with 20 vmax 3200fps! It's extremely accurate! An have taken many crows between 2-300 yds and also a Maggie at 321yds with it! Also several foxes out to 150 with chest shots an one just over 200 with a head shot. I wouldn't attempt the latter if there was any serious amount of breeze. Unless I had plenty of time to set up the shot. Great little round if you ask me!

Sorry Geoff, it's still a little beauty to shoot :)

For sure its a nice tool but its certainly IMHO not a dedicated fox caliber, occasionally if push comes to shove and you can get a sideways chest shot but front on forget it. Suspect bullet is hitting the breast bone and breaking up. A bigger 20 or 22 pill will punch through into the chest cavity. Maybe 25s have an answer, think they would be doing about 3000 fps, but as I said I have fired one at a fox, moving at a fast walk straight at me, front on, 90 yards, it went round and round in tight circles for a few seconds then slipped under a gate and away before I could get another one in. that has in the past indicated a throat shot, had a few rabbits do that with air rifles years ago, when they got to the center of the circle they fell over dead but not this boy. To do that it would have had to go through the lower part of its face and down its throat from the front. Bigger caliber bullet (6mm 65gr Vmax) would have taken the back of its head off.

I am loading N120, about 10.0 gr in Remmy cases with a BR4 or 205. I did buy a keg of Lilgun following reports that N120 was stopping being made but have never used any yet.

Pleased to see factory ammo is readily available, was surprised to read what I did as the caliber is a go to round in the US for smaller vermin out to 250/300 yards.

A

Aly any chance of a picture of this little 17 AH ? I do miss shooting a 17 :(

17 Hornet , good but you may as well go for a .204 , extra range and super flat.

Quite a bit noisier, even with a mod. My 17AH is modded through what I think is a Rimmy mod, all proofed. But 204 is far more versatile and much preferred as a fox round.

Pictures, been some years since a posted a pic, dont have any of it on photobucket so here is one of the 20BR maybe 10 years ago as a consolation.

[/url]">http://20BR2ndshotpic1-1.jpg

A

Quite a bit noisier, even with a mod. My 17AH is modded through what I think is a Rimmy mod, all proofed. But 204 is far more versatile and much preferred as a fox round.

Pictures, been some years since a posted a pic, dont have any of it on photobucket so here is one of the 20BR maybe 10 years ago as a consolation.

[/url]">http://20BR2ndshotpic1-1.jpg

A

Try standing in the butts or down wind of even a .17HMR , they are far from quiet , .20 all the way for varmints. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently acquired a CZ 527 .17 Hornet. Fitted with a Hardey Gen IV moddy, hand on heart I can say that I find it much quieter than a previous Anschutz 1517 .17 HMR of mine.

I have to agree with the other posters when they don't see the 17 Hornet as a dedicated foxing rifle. However I must add though, if I was out with the rifle and I did come across a fox that I felt was within the capability of the rifle I wouldn't think twice about dropping the critter. Generally though my go-to rifle for foxing is my .223.

I have been reloading from the beginning with this .17, and at the moment I am pushing a Nosler 20 grain Varmageddon with Lovex D063 (Accurate 1680). I haven't had the opportunity to chrono the velocity as yet, but it is damn fast. :)

I've recently acquired a CZ 527 .17 Hornet. Fitted with a Hardey Gen IV moddy, hand on heart I can say that I find it much quieter than a previous Anschutz 1517 .17 HMR of mine.

I have to agree with the other posters when they don't see the 17 Hornet as a dedicated foxing rifle. However I must add though, if I was out with the rifle and I did come across a fox that I felt was within the capability of the rifle I wouldn't think twice about dropping the critter. Generally though my go-to rifle for foxing is my .223.

I have been reloading from the beginning with this .17, and at the moment I am pushing a Nosler 20 grain Varmageddon with Lovex D063 (Accurate 1680). I haven't had the opportunity to chrono the velocity as yet, but it is damn fast. :)

What mod was on your hmr ? If was louder than the hornet , must of been a rubbish mod . Taa . - welcome by the way ..

Tremo what load are you using

I'm currently at 12.8 grains believe it or not. No signs of pressure at all. It's putting almost hole on hole at 100 yards with this load (CCI primers, 1.45 OAL). When I get a moment I'll see what I can take it to, just for the hell of it.

Archived