Zeiss PRF v Leica 1600B

Guys,

Ive currently got a Zeiss PRF rangefinder.

Can anyone give me any useful comparison to that with the Leica 1600B?

I like the look of the smaller Leica aiming mark and Im curious to know if the internal ballistic programme on the Leica is a gimmick or really accurate/useful?

I got a 1600b recently , and straight away the ballistics are there but you have to use the one "nearest" to your load / drop , which struck me straight away for precision varmint aint perfect , so i use my own charts , it would probably be fine out to 3-400 where trajectory is similar . But i didn't investigate into it anymore so not even sure if it could be fetteled in any way . Not sure if your zeiss has cosine / degree uphill /down hill , the leica has and personnely need this function on my valley shoot . And your right in the size its tiny - just a top piece of kit well worth the investment in my eyes . Hope some of this helps .

I have a 1600b and find the ballistic program to match my trajectory perfectly to about 500 yards. It is really useful at night for foxes. Simply point at the fox and it shows the clicks straight away. With the red led display it is really clear. I have taken foxes to 350 yards at night using this method. Although my Swarovski z6i certainly helps on this front with its superb glass.

I would have liked the ballistic info in the Leica but found the Zeiss a lot easier to hold steady, hence I bought the Zeiss. Going to upgrade to LRF binos soon though, either Leica hd-b's or Swarovski el ranges.

Been out today , pinging crows out over 800 with ease , it readed 1633 on an ivy bush - brilliant . I read in the manual on a reflective target it will work out to 10K - id imagine that would have to be a motor way sign etc ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a 1600 B and echo what the others have said. Awesome bit of kit and very compact and light too. Found the ballistic programme to match one of my 223 loads was bang on to around 500 yards so perfect for vermin control. Checked the drops with a calibrated Strelock solution and they were bang on, but only for one map. You'll find one close enough for vermin control to sensible ranges, beyond which as it doesn't do the wind, you're better off using Strelock anyway. For a quick shot at under 500 yds in light breeze where the fox or crow won't hang about whilst you work out your shooting solution, it's perfect.

Optically it's a class act. Despite the small objective, it puts a lot of rifle scopes to shame! I rarely carry binos now as I find the 7x mag and resolution of the 1600B covers all bases for me. Great bit of kit.

Archived