My new tight twist 22-250 with Sierra 69 grain TMK's

22cf

After load development and a day making accurate drop chart data from real life data I was ready to go varminting. The wind was <3mph and the sun was out, I had high hopes for a great days varminting. My shooting base was high up in a dutch barn on bales of straw and I had a flask of hot sweet cappuchino and a picnic to keep me going.

https://i.imgsafe.org/10efcc7.jpg

I had 25 rounds with me to be getting on with and after using 3 on a target board to get zero I was ready to go, over the course of the day I managed to hit 19 of the 22 targets including a 220yd running fox and a 450yd magpie, the other targets were all between 250-450yds.

Prior to use I was concerned the Sierra TMK's wouldn't give explosive (Humane) results on live targets but after the first hit on a crow at 350yds my worries were put to bed, these bullets are just as explosive as any other varmint bullets I have used including VMax. I was totally blown away with the results.

Since my first outting with the rifle I have been out again and managed to bag a 550yd pheasant on a cold bore shot, this rifle with an 8 twist barrel shooting heavy bullets fast is a fantastic varminting rig, I couldn't recommend this combination highly enough.

That looks very cosy in that barn , how were you judging wind ? I normally stick out a couple of homemade wind flags when shooting from 1 position . Atb

.22-250 with Sierra TMKs sounds like a clever combination. I was interested in your other thread why you chose the 69 grain ones over the 77 grain version. Any thoughts?

That's exactly what I use.

36gr of H4350 gives 3150 fps with excellent accuracy, could go a bit hotter but this load works really well.

Sounds like a cracking mix of horse power and bullet!!!! ,,,,,hoping to get good results from a fast twist 22PPC when she,s finished.......good shooting at 550!! 22CF,,,,,,,O

That's exactly what mine will being launched out of...

She's spitting 75 amax at the moment ..

Keep in touch...

Archived