Do Remington make a decent rifle ?

Do Remington make a decent off the shelf precision rifle that compares with say Tikka or Sako ? reading between the lines not many experienced rifle shooters like them for various reasons ,build quality being one issue.

They come across a bit like Harley Davidsons , you buy one then spend a shed load on it to make it work correctly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what you expect from the rifle. We have sold some Remington LTRs in 308 which are still killing deer and shooting sub MOA with ammunition that suits them. Also have some police spec varmints left in 243 which shoot well. They are pre 2000 stock from when our previous company was the UK police agent. The Tactical rifles seem to have been left behind a bit by AI and Sako but with the arrival of the Ruger precision rifle. Remington may have no option but to supply a competitor.

I have had rem 700 since 1994,use it as walking varminter. never missed a beat still shoots .5 if I do, nowt wrong with remys,most cloned action.

Yep, and for mass produced rifles they do very well straight from the box

I have had rem 700 since 1994,use it as walking varminter. never missed a beat still shoots .5 if I do, nowt wrong with remys,most cloned action.

I`d guess the action is the most cloned because of ease to clone? , ie round action , more lathe work than milling?

I think the Remington Sendero is a good off the shelf production rifle. The vssf swift I am shooting as my thermal rig has the heavy fluted 26 inch Sendero barrel and it performs excellent. I have shot a lot of very hot max loads through it and it still shoots under half inch groups. With any production rifle be it a Tilka, Savage ect, you will probably end up swapping the stock and trigger anyway and the Remington has the best selection in aftermarket parts. As swiftur pointed out the Remington action is the most cloned so it must have a good design. I think I read on the PRS info in the States one of the most used actions in the competitive shooting is the Defiance which is a Remington clone. I wouldn't pass up another Sendero if I had the chance. By the time you buy the rifle, put say a McMillan stock on it and a Timney trigger the price isn't much different to a new Sako. Just my thoughts anyway.

Nothing much wrong with a Remington, especially to get you started shooting, but you will soon end up wanting more. Most of the latest models have clearly been built to a price and you can indeed spend a lot of money in upgrading them.

Knowing what I know now, I would seriously recommend starting out with a 'basic' custom built on a DCR or Resolution Precision action, or perhaps a semi-custom built on a Tikka T3.

But to answer the original question, Remington's better quality models include the 700 Police and 5R Mil Spec. Of course, there is also the MSR that won the SOCOM PSR contract, but only governments or those with very deep pockets need apply.

I have little knowledge of Remington centre fire rifles out of the box. But I do like the look and style of some of them. I can only say what I've heard, which is a lot.....And not very nice comments either.... Although you can get good and bad examples in all flavour...

But why would you purchase a Remington CF, and update all the bad features. When for the same total price you could just buy a decent NEW Sako, or Tikka, which shoots just great out of the box?

I see Remington cf rifles, as similar to the crappy Ruger 1022's out there. Out of the box they are 5hite! (I've had 2) But if you spend about the same again as the cost of the rifle, you have a very nice rifle. So just buy a decent rifle straight out of the box. Like Tikka, and Sako, and many more decent brands... Just another opinion....

Good luck with your choice anyhow.

atb

J.

I have little knowledge of Remington centre fire rifles out of the box. But I do like the look and style of some of them. I can only say what I've heard, which is a lot.....And not very nice comments either.... Although you can get good and bad examples in all flavour...

But why would you purchase a Remington CF, and update all the bad features. When for the same total price you could just buy a decent NEW Sako, or Tikka, which shoots just great out of the box?

I see Remington cf rifles, as similar to the crappy Ruger 1022's out there. Out of the box they are 5hite! (I've had 2) But if you spend about the same again as the cost of the rifle, you have a very nice rifle. So just buy a decent rifle straight out of the box. Like Tikka, and Sako, and many more decent brands... Just another opinion....

Good luck with your choice anyhow.

atb

J.

Pretty much what I thought , and of course "upgrading" them will no doubt void the warranty so no point really !

I started out shooting over 30 years ago and initially bought what I could afford at the time , I soon learnt that its better to save up and buy quality , the same with optics.

For their price, they're not bad but their current entry level SPS is very much built to a price. The biggest issue is the stock- SPS is an acronym for Sh*tty Plastic Stock. Totally unusable off a bipod.

As has been mentioned, some of the older heavy barrel varmint models are very accurate. I have a ~20yr old .223 Varmint Synthetic (with the HS stock) and that thing was a tackdriver out of the box. Truly half min routinely. My current walking varminter is basically a std ~8yr old SPS which has been put into a PSE composite stock. While not as accurate as the VS, it's pretty good as in always better than 2/3" and common to have 1/2". For the little effort they put into them, it shows the basic design can't be too bad.

Rem can produce lemons as can any outfit I guess. There was a well known example round here- a 7-08 Titanium which wouldn't shoot for sh*t. A mate bought if off a big porky-teller who reckoned it was tackdriver. It actually wouldn't do better than 2", usually worse, despite some serious loading efforts. In the end, my gunsmith pulled it down and the action was all to hell. Can't remember the exact details but something was seriously out of true. He fixed it and the thing was away. Titaniums are moon money and were supposed to have had similar treatment to Custom Shop models but this one clearly hadn't.

I would imagine all of us have owned a remmy at some point, I've owned two over the years both in 22-250 one was an absolute belter, the other, a heavy barrelled special something or other was only fit for knocking fence posts in!

I don't think there will be any difference in performance between a semi custom remmy and a semi custom Sako...except the sako will be much more expensive and certain things are just not available for the Sako. In my book the remmy wins. I have Remmy, Sako and T3 semi customs.

T3 would be a good alternative to a remmy.

edi

It's been around 50 years, has hunted countless animals, won countless trophies and nailed plenty of bad guys

I don't see much wrong with them. If they were crap then they wouldn't have sold millions

It's been around 50 years, has hunted countless animals, won countless trophies and nailed plenty of bad guys

I don't see much wrong with them. If they were crap then they wouldn't have sold millions

I did ask do rather than did they make a good precision rifle , I`ve not seen much praise for the current range unless its been re worked/blueprinted, mass produced, yes but you could argue Tikka/Sako are mass produced yet they do seem to be far superior, it leaves me to think the Remington design is good but the build quality is poor , not unusual with a lot of American built products.

I did ask do rather than did they make a good precision rifle , I`ve not seen much praise for the current range unless its been re worked/blueprinted, mass produced, yes but you could argue Tikka/Sako are mass produced yet they do seem to be far superior, it leaves me to think the Remington design is good but the build quality is poor , not unusual with a lot of American built products.

They used to make a Model 40 XB I think it was called that was sold as a custom rifle. Not sure if they still make them?

I think it could have a lot to do with comparing everything to a custom built rifle.

The last Tikka I saw, a T3 came in a none too brilliant plastic stock. Still shot well by all accounts, but it really depends on what the owner wants and what he wants it for.

There's far more owners of mass produced bog standard rifles than ones with the latest custom action etc.

I don't deny Tikkas etc have nicer finishes, but does that make them a better rifle?

Personally if I was buying a new Remington again, it would only be a PSS/Varmint or similar

My first centrefire rifle was a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Box stock except that the trigger was fettled by Baldie when he still worked at "another place", and that it now lives in a Hogue overmoulded stock.

It still resides in my gun cabinet, and with a thrown-together handload that I've never bothered to fiddle with, it'll group ½ to ¾ MOA off the bench all day.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, wrong with Remington 700s.

maximus otter

I placed pretty well at the HRA RBL match with a 700 based riflecraft creation with factory ammo and I'm a rough old country boy !

maximus otter is bang on , there is nothing wrong with the remmy 700

I placed pretty well at the HRA RBL match with a 700 based riflecraft creation with factory ammo and I'm a rough old country boy !

maximus otter is bang on , there is nothing wrong with the remmy 700

But the rifle is not a standard out the box Remy 700 which is what I`m asking about.

But rifle is not a standard out the box Remy 700 which is what I`m asking about.

ok , yes your right

I had a pss years ago and it was absolutely fine straight out of the box

My first centrefire rifle was a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Box stock except that the trigger was fettled by Baldie when he still worked at "another place", and that it now lives in a Hogue overmoulded stock.

It still resides in my gun cabinet, and with a thrown-together handload that I've never bothered to fiddle with, it'll group ½ to ¾ MOA off the bench all day.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, wrong with Remington 700s.

maximus otter

So its not an out of the box Remy ? modded trigger and a new stock.

So its not an out of the box Remy ? modded trigger and a new stock.

Baldie adjusted the factory standard trigger.

Replacing the stock is hardly controversial. I've no doubt it would have shot just as well in its original stock. I just preferred the look & feel of the Hogue.

maximus otter

Archived