Recommend me affordable, clear binos suitable upto 600+ yards

I have a somewhat average spotting scope which is okay for Target rifle when the scope is on a stand, but when I'm RCO'ing, it'd be nice to be able to see what people are hitting at a glance or something to look through when on the firing point to see shot placement without having to be looking down the rifle scope, or if i use Irons, for example if I get a Lee Enfield later this year.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than £150, but let me know if you have any recommendations around that pricetag.

No need for rangefinding capabilities as I shoot on known distance ranges.

Thanks,

TG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Gonna have to wait a few weeks before I can get some pocket money saved...

Bushnell excursions 10x42 your struggle to get better for the money and you should be able to get a pair in around your budget

I have a few Bushnell scopes, so definitely worth a look

Vortex Diamondback 10x42. Truly stunning optics for the price and Vortex's bulletproof warranty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortex-D241-10X42-Diamondback-Binoculars/dp/B004803YTW

They look nice, highly rated. Will see if I can try a pair.

Shot placement at 600yds+ is a big ask isn't it, at a glance?

I did specify spotting disk...

Should be OK to see the spotting disc, or maybe sand splash, but you would need something better to see bullet holes.

All I'd be after to be fair.

I personally use a set of Nikon prostaff 10x42 binoculars I have used them out to 1200 yards on stickeldown and have no trouble making out the spotting disc. I bought mine off that auction site new for just over £100.

I think due to price point, and the name, these are the ones that have really caught my eye. the 10x50 prostaff 5's look like a good bino and let in a lot of light which might open them up to being useful at darker times should I get into varminting.

• 3 weeks later...

Bushnell excursions 10x42 your struggle to get better for the money and you should be able to get a pair in around your budget

Plus 1 on these. I use a pair of these myself and find them very good.i read reviews at the time I bought them which said the glass was as good as a lot of binoculars at twice the money.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all.

I tried a few pairs in "Dicks" sporting goods in the states the other week and went with Nikon Monarch 3 10-42's

They had the best image quality of all the ones they had in store.

Little over budget, but I'll see how they do tomorrow morning :)

Hi,

I have a pair of old Vortex Viper 8 x 42, one of the the eye cups was damaged but still operable so I sent them off to Dave at Newpro (Vortex Uk Dealer), great comms and was back within 24 hours.

Excellant service!

I can't recommend them enough, considering one of their HD scopes for my .308 If anyone has one going spare :)

ATB

Stea33

TG, why not use a second Butts officer to monitor target strikes (or not). And leave yourself free to concentrate on the business end? Surely you are lowering targets, marking and raising targets anyway?

TG, why not use a second Butts officer to monitor target strikes (or not). And leave yourself free to concentrate on the business end? Surely you are lowering targets, marking and raising targets anyway?

It's a little different in my standard situation than it would be at Bisley or the likes.

Generally our little club has 2 firing points that I am RCO'ing over so it's not like I have to be continually scanning along a massive firing point to see if 20 people are being safe. Usually there's 3 or 4.

• 4 months later...

I have the Vortex Talons (£400), I was so impressed with the brand in terms of value for money that I bought my Mum a pair of Diamondbacks as a gift, when they arrived I had a play with them, they are amazing value for money. Especially when compared with another 'cheaper' pair of nikon bins that I have, I wouldn't hesitate in buying them if I was after a sub £200 pair.

I have two mint pairs of Carl Zeiss jena,s 10x50,,,,that glass takes some beating for the money? PM me if interested,,,,O

This sounds like a good offer. I have a pair of Zeiss Jena, bought cheap in an auction, 8 x 30 as truck bins and they are very sharp indeed. Only disadvantage is they have hard eyecups so not so good if you wear glasses. The above might not have that problem though. It might be possible to swap them but |I don't know.

2p from me.

David.

• 3 months later...

Zeiss terra ed compacts are my newest pair , affordable , very good crisp picture , small enough to fit in a pocket . Everytime my mate has a peek thru them , he says ohh i like these ! cost 250 i think but may be cheaper if shopping around

• 3 weeks later...

Archived