Calling winter vixens

longbow3

Does anyone have any advice about what call to use when trying to call in a mature vixen

I have called in many dogs during the mating season but vixens are a lot harder

I know it will obviously be the dog that ultimately go's after the vixen but I just wonder if there is a circumstance or call that can entice a vixen in?

Ray

Ok so the early December mating dogs are looking to get the terrority truly grounded before the courting begins. On this basis try a basic fox call.

Moving into the next 2 weeks you can try the vixen on heat call, and then the end of December early Jan move to the vixen mating call.

I have about 5 different mating/territory type calls on my Foxpro, both male and female, I generally give each one about 5 mins and then swap.

Has been working really well recently, I have had about 8 in the last 2 weeks.

Vixen on heat bought 2 dogs night before last and the dog fox mating call bought another vixen on the same night.

Generally this time of year is a easy one to get on top of fox numbers. I have a 6 week break from end of October to first week in December. So as to capitalise on this time of year.

Foxes are just like any red blooded male.....

It's quite rare I use a call these days and if I do it's usually a mouse or rat squeak to lure them in the last few yards. I've found i get much better results just sitting either over bait or from a good vantage point over looking known runs.

It's quite rare I use a call these days and if I do it's usually a mouse or rat squeak to lure them in the last few yards. I've found i get much better results just sitting either over bait or from a good vantage point over looking known runs.

Are foxes easily baited around now and in winter ? Either early morning or late afternoon? as im planning a few regular bait areas for me new rig . Iv baited in summer / spring with good results so im thinking autumn /winter should be good if not better. Cheers

Are foxes easily baited around now and in winter ? Either early morning or late afternoon? as im planning a few regular bait areas for me new rig . Iv baited in summer / spring with good results so im thinking autumn /winter should be good if not better. Cheers

Yes it's usually easier to bait in winter especially when the weather gets harder and natural food becomes scarce. Dead sheep work well, breasted out pheasant, duck or rabbits.

I don't have many foxes, but I have had this vixen hanging round for too long now.

She seems to be wise to bait and to a number of different calls like hare, rabbit and voles.

I am very careful about how I use the call, I generally climb up the hi seat and wait at least 30 mins before I try the call and if a call doesn't work I wait a good length of time before I try a different call

A couple weeks ago I got an old dog from her area off a hi seat using a vixen call. What was interesting was the way he worked his way into the call in cover and sat frequently smelling the air. I couldn't get a shot before he had a chance to get to the area of the call and then he smelt where I had been standing to place the call in the branches of a tree. He headed off quick and would not stop until I finally managed to stop him with my 3rd and final attention grabbing squeak and that was the end of him.

Just wondered if there was any special call I could fool her with.

Saw someone on another site had been using a timber wolf cub call on the Icotec. Going to give that a try.

Cheers Ray

I don't have many foxes, but I have had this vixen hanging round for too long now.

She seems to be wise to bait and to a number of different calls like hare, rabbit and voles.

I am very careful about how I use the call, I generally climb up the hi seat and wait at least 30 mins before I try the call and if a call doesn't work I wait a good length of time before I try a different call

A couple weeks ago I got an old dog from her area off a hi seat using a vixen call. What was interesting was the way he worked his way into the call in cover and sat frequently smelling the air. I couldn't get a shot before he had a chance to get to the area of the call and then he smelt where I had been standing to place the call in the branches of a tree. He headed off quick and would not stop until I finally managed to stop him with my 3rd and final attention grabbing squeak and that was the end of him.

Just wondered if there was any special call I could fool her with.

Saw someone on another site had been using a timber wolf cub call on the Icotec. Going to give that a try.

Cheers Ray

Don't use a call at all, just sit and wait!

I think foxing is as complex as the fox your trying to shoot.

I don't go for baiting.....all thou I do know of some that do. I try to encourage foxes to come to me. But if your struggling to get a specific fox, try it all.

Not putting words in Paddy's mouth but I know he tries both bait and call sometimes.

One of the best calls I find for stopping a moving fox is "fox distress" on the scorpion (have it set on one of the 4 preset calls on the remote). I find any of the cub distress calls work well year round on vixens, although mating time can be very hit and miss they can come steaming in to any of the prey distress call or mating calls and other times just comelety ignore them. This is where thermal and nv really come into their own watching the behaviour of the fox and using a few calls to bring them in or to quietly make up ground to take the shot. Winter months are excellent for bait, dead sheep are best left where they keeled over as I've found if you move them it can take 3-4 days for the foxes to break into the carcase if left untouched there in ASAP. Bait such as rabbit, pheasant, chicken best staked down with a length of re-bar and topped up as often as possible in cold conditions, you'll be suprised how many foxes turn up even on ground where they are hit hard. Most important is don't over do the calling and what works one night might not the next. Do you run nv/thermal? As andybrook i dont call very much not just hide in the shadows, watch and wait! Hope you catch up with her.

Hi ,this time of year I use a Vixen call followed by a male mating call ,If you get a fox Don"t go to pick the fox for at least 10 min there is a very good chance that its partner is on the way.

Its a lucky dip if they come to the squeak anyway, try another squeaking sound if the first doesnt draw them,more often than not a squeak spooks them,probaly because theyve been shot at and had a lucky escape, never met anyone who hasnt missed, the ones who say they havent are liars.it never makes sense why we miss but we all do.

Archived