spot lights for lamping

beam preference - tight or flood?

rifle mounted? hand held? vehicle mounted?

Forget candlepower - it's a meaningless figure. There's a new standard which defines the distance at which it'll light to the same extent as a full moon. Top end stuff does maybe 800m. The other metric for comparison is Lumens. A single car headlight is about 1300 Lumens, for comparative purposes. The latest TK75 torch from Fenix is about the size of half a Pringles can & emits a maximum 4000 Lumens from 4 x 18650 batteries. It can cook a rabbit before you've even shot it.

Oh sorry a held lamp.ive got a deben 22amp lithium ion battery to power it. that is a great lamping battery

Does this have a 12v fag lighter socket?

ah - you're from Bath - might be called a cigar lighter there.. ;)

Lightforce hid lamps are very good if you want a tight beam that shines a good distance. Not cheap but worth the money. Iv got a roof mounted striker that I brought off a member on here. With the 75 watt bulb, 5000 kelvin colour spectrum it throws a brilliant white light out to a stupid distance. Would recommend it.

If you want a --serious-- hand-held that can be mounted on a gun and has more light output than a LF170, here's the thing:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-Sniper-M24-Lighter-Version-of-SN6X-2S-AR-Lens-Copper-LED-Base-Longer-Shooting-Distance/1769281159.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.eLaWyS&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8

It's small enough to mount on a rifle (65mm head diam, ~250 long) and has all the power you'll ever need. The mid power setting has more grunt than a LF170 and the pair of 18650s will do nearly two hours at mid power. There is enough peripheral flood to quickly scan a field yet the centre spot has serious reach. Deer at 300yds stand out like dogs kahoonas. The latest version comes de-domed so fully good to go.

They were developed by a close collaboration between some Kiwi pro pest guys and the Chinese manufacturer. Anyone that sees them in action knows that "cords are dead". My LF 170/140/SLAs are all now redundant. These have become the default spottie in NZ for those in the know.

This one I guess

(LA11) LED Lazerlite

Reference: LA11

The brightest and whitest single 25watt LED hand held lamp available on the market with an incredible 750m beam. Powered by any 12v DC supply with everlasting LED.

Frankly, I don't believe their figure of 750m from something that size without an aspheric head. They say it's not only the BRIGHTEST but also the WHITEST hand help lamp based on a single 25W LED. I expect that'll be because nobody else uses a 25W single die LED unless they want to floodlight a warehouse, not a distant fox.

The light colouration is definitely an issue. Some colours cut through mist -way- better than others. Total lumens doesn't tell the whole story.

The M24s I mention will happily show deer eyes well past 600yds. I'd have no trouble accurately aiming at a deer under 400yds with this light. I realise deer lamping isn't de rigeur in the UK but it's common here. Foxes would be dead easy for this torch.

The light colouration is definitely an issue. Some colours cut through mist -way- better than others. Total lumens doesn't tell the whole story.

The M24s I mention will happily show deer eyes well past 600yds. I'd have no trouble accurately aiming at a deer under 400yds with this light. I realise deer lamping isn't de rigeur in the UK but it's common here. Foxes would be dead easy for this torch.

Well I took a punt based on the recommendation from Chris and ordered an M24 from China. Well - it is a 'frikkin laser beam'! Very impressive and the quality seems very nice for the price.

Only two minor problems so far. My cells are a very tight fit in the body. I have to dissasemble the shaft from the head and poke them out with a pencil. The other is that if you use it to illuminate the ground at your feet, the reflection from the ground is so bright that you are dazzled by the glare! Clicking it on to low or medium solves that problem and means that the cells will last a bit longer too.

It's well over the top for walking the dog, but I'm quite enjoying pretending to be a searchlight. :)

Good to hear Shuggy. The protected 3400mAHr Panasonics are the go for these.

As you've no doubt discovered, there is the -looong- centre beam but it also has a good peripheral flood for quick scanning of paddocks. You can get concentrated laser beam torches with huge reach BUT they're hopeless for a quick scan of paddocks

The cluson led did have a good shoulder strap system meaning you can let go of it and warm your fingers up, longrange na, if anything it lights up a wider area than my 100w xenon cluson, exact opposite than I expected, a mate had a lamp that shone a long narrow beam like I want, he sold it, didnt like it, will ask the questions.

Good to hear Shuggy. The protected 3400mAHr Panasonics are the go for these.

As you've no doubt discovered, there is the -looong- centre beam but it also has a good peripheral flood for quick scanning of paddocks. You can get concentrated laser beam torches with huge reach BUT they're hopeless for a quick scan of paddocks

I use the Xtar 3400mAh, which are really Panasonics with added short circuit protection. This obviously makes them a little thicker, hence the tight fit.

The beam within a flood feature is very good indeed.

Shuggy- here's a message from Mike ("Mudgripz") about the M24:

-------------

Hello Chris

Tell yr English mate with tight battery tube to contact Amanda at Maxtoch. She says she will send him a new batt tube.

amanda@maxtoch.cn

Tell him to mention 'Mike'. Maxtoch is expanding size of all new tubes now.

Cheers, Mike

-----------

Well, I had a very prompt reply from Amanda at Maxtoch, with a promise of a new tube and a thank-you for helping them to improve their product. Customer service doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks again Chris for your help with the grapevine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived