Front Mounted NV Add On

17 Rem

I am a night vision virgin and am considering buying a single NV unit. I don't fancy a rear mounted unit due to the eye relief issue. Front mounted add on appeals to me so I can swap between rifles rather than having a single rifle with NV which would be something of a one trick pony.

Who's using these units? Any recommendations or tips? The unit would be fitted to Swarovski PV's with a 50mm objective, Z5's with 44mm and 52mm objectives and to Leupold with 40 mm objective on a 20 tac, 222's as well as the 17 Rem and maybe to a 243.

I just want to be able to shoot foxes, mainly at shortish ranges.

The concept of a front add on is probably better than a rear add on but where they seem to fall down is constant problems with POI shifting. I think pulsar had one out a while ago but it seemed to die a death for that reason.

Explained in the original post.

But if you record the reticle position you should be able to swap between rifles. Also the drone is ok in the day. Can understand your thinking but for me front mounted is too risky unless the NV is mounted onto an extra length pic rail. All these objective mounted adaptors look a pile of poo with regard to holding zero. I think Scott country have an offer on objective mounted NV at the moment but I don't know how good it is

Thanks for your input. I didn't know about the wandering POI issue with front mounted NV add on units. Sounds like this idea is a non-starter.

As for picatinny rails, they're not for me. Ugly great things. My rifles have built in rails, which I insist on using.

Seems I'll be sticking to the lamp for a while yet.

I run PS28 White phosphate front add on. There is no shift in POI. It can be fussy to setup and the focus takes time to get used to. It needs a decent IR torch to get the best out of it.

Had it out last night in heavy rain and no issue with identification out to sensible ranges.

Fog though like all NV stops it in its tracks.

Mine prefers the Sightron SIII illuminated and the fire dot works well with the NV.

Personally I wouldn't use a front mounted add-on unless my rifle had an extended picatinny rail to mount it on in front of my current optic, nothing else would give me the confidence that the unit is going to hold zero, but not sure I would actually have an extended rail on a hunting rifle as I think they look awful.

Night Vision Gear do have a new digital in-line front add-on due out quite soon so that maybe worth having a look at.

I also would be very careful about buying anything made by ATN, not a great company IMO, just take a look at all the problems the X-Sight has had as an example.

I had a PS 22 with a stonking american gen 3 tube in it, clamp mounted on to the dayscope. It worked really well right up to 10 mag.

No poi issues at all.... loved it. The only problem was, it was a joint venture with another guy and he wanted it sold. I had several NV options at the time, so I agreed to sell it. ( sorry I did in hindsight)

If you buy good quality picatinny rail and mounts there is no reason you couldn't have 2 scopes on the one rifle and just roll on roll off as required

Mark

I have Optilock mounts on the integral rails of my rifles. You really are missing the point of my thread.

It wasn't clear from the original post that you had issues with picatinny rail. I used my NV unit as a Ro/Ro with success as I didn't originally want a dedicated rifle.

Mark

Flir do a front mounted unit, which is commercially available (not sure if in UK), its a might spendy, but having seen some video if it in use, I can see it being worth the expense for the professional user.

http://www.flirt60.com

It wasn't clear from the original post that you had issues with picatinny rail. I used my NV unit as a Ro/Ro with success as I didn't originally want a dedicated rifle.

Mark

No offence intended, Mark. My post just 2 or 3 above yours covered my opinion of them and the original post says what scopes I would like to fit a unit to. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Flir do a front mounted unit, which is commercially available (not sure if in UK), its a might spendy, but having seen some video if it in use, I can see it being worth the expense for the professional user.

http://www.flirt60.com

Having used a thermal spotter for the last couple of years I would imagine a thermal sight would bring with it some serious problems, mainly positive target ID?

Having used a thermal spotter for the last couple of years I would imagine a thermal sight would bring with it some serious problems, mainly positive target ID?

Regards thermal you can identify these rabbits with an apex xd75 out to 150yds, head, ears, shape a fox is going to be so much easier.

One thing to remember is that the relative environmental conditions can significantly affect the image quality of thermal devices, as the temperature gradient between target and surrounding area is reduced. Air humidity may also be a factor. The other problem with thermal is being unable to see intervening twigs, grass etc and warm rocks invariably appearing the same size and shape as my quarry!

Regards thermal you can identify these rabbits with an apex xd75 out to 150yds, head, ears, shape a fox is going to be so much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwcRhp4oN4

A fair few in your video just looked like a white heat source to me, I wouldn't be happy shooting at them!

Archived