Do I HMR or not.

Raifuru

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22 Hornet.

If you don't fancy a CF get a 22WMR. I have seven of them but right now, 22WMR ammo in the US is scarce and expensive when found. 22WMR is one of my favorite cartridges.~Andrew

(PS: I have three or four 17HMR's. Can't remember when I last shot one of them)

Andrew,

I tried to like the 22wrfm but that was years ago-then the only ammo here was Winchester,and some CCI -not very good- not 1 moa at 100;and occasionally RWS which was a tad better. Decades ago.

How do the modern options shoot,when you can get them ? It did promise back then to fill a niche,though of course the 17HMR wasn't around (and Hornet was still 'mark one'-poor blunt nosed bullets etc).

Spanner,in the end,I found the 17 Rem was just excellent- with a genuine sure range out to 250,without carcass damage (I never took head shots-there was no need,and it's too small a target at real distance),though I'd seldom opt to shoot more than I could comfortably carry...say 20. The performance/cost ratio was sustainable-then anyhow-one rabbit was worth at least four reloaded rounds,but nothing else 'economical' could do the job,anyhow. 22rf subs for close work,of course.

gbal

... I'd seldom opt to shoot more than I could comfortably carry...say 20.

Jebus George, how do you carry 20 rabbits? I've been using an Ikea bag as a game bag, the ones with short and long handles, but put 6 rabbits in it and I don't want to carry it far.

I think spanner is spot on, depends what the land is like where you shoot but as long as the ammo is ok personally I think the HMR is the ideal rabbit gun.

Pretty sure I mentioned on another posting that I had bought another HMR after quite a few years off "the need" for something like the little 17 but I picked up a permission that sort of lent itself to more than a 22lr and overkill for a CF so went for it and must say I,m pretty happy with my decision.I didn,nt want to spend a fortune on a rifle so went for a {new} CZ but was particularly careful in selecting one off the rack that had a what I would call a decently machined barrel crown,,,the other four on the rack didn,t and one in particular looked like it had been done with a hand countersinker!! This left me wandering about all the other rifles out there that may be badly machined and a certain recipe for poor performance let alone the ammo problems/,,,,,,the ammo ,,,,when zeroing my rifle I must have got into shot number 20 or so and every now and then real flyers would show up,,,nothing that would stray outside say a couple of inches but none the less quite disappointing and spoiling the inch or so groups that were generally forming{100yds} Happy with a reasonable zero I thought it would be a good idea to measure up and examine the rest of my batch of ammo and I think I may have stumble across the potential flyers? Out of the 400 or so that I had left there were three that had the bullet rammed way down in the neck and only showing its little red tip with another four or so with the tip brioken ,,about 20 that had the bullet seated at least 20 thou differently from the majority and about another 20 in other varying distances. At the moment I am assuming there is a 10 to 15 percent chance of crap in a box of 500 which may be similar to what the rest of you are finding? Factor this in with some "bad" rifles and this is probably where we are with HMR at the moment?

As I said "I,m pretty happy" the rifle is fine and does the 100 yard bunny every time which is what I bought it for ,,,,the potentially crap ammo goes on the plink!!!! I,ve yet to group some of my "selected" ammo but am crossing fingers,,,,,O

Out of the 400 or so that I had left there were three that had the bullet rammed way down in the neck and only showing its little red tip with another four or so with the tip brioken ,,about 20 that had the bullet seated at least 20 thou differently from the majority and about another 20 in other varying distances. At the moment I am assuming there is a 10 to 15 percent chance of crap in a box of 500

Hmmm, that's bad news, I was hoping if I bought new ammo now it would be better. That sounds way worse than any I have encountered, I have never seen a bullet that was not uniformly seated (by eye), or had a broken tip, just split cases.

When I next buy some I plan to open the box in the shop and check them all, hoping they will replace any with split necks on the spot, what are my chances? :lol:

Don,t despair ,,,I did buy 250 from another lot and all were ok except for an 8 thou variance and no splts or chipped tips,,,,will have to see how they go on a good day.......I,ve not yet shot the 20thou off ones deliberately with what I call the "normal"ones so there could still be another reason for flyers.

The broken tips and splits are of course easy to see and the abnormally seated bullets as well{20 thou}

To be honest I,m taking the rough with the mostly smooth with our little HMR even factory centrefire can be as bad if one takes time to measure it,,,,its amazing what some people at our 100m club accept as good accuracy a lot of the time.,,,,,O

out last night with the 17hmr,four rabbits for four shots using the photon all good,fith shot strange pop removed Remington fired case,primer fired bullet two inches up barrel case still full of powder unable to dislodge stuck bullet with cleaning rod.end of outing f king crap ammo gave the `17hmr another chance and got kicked in the teeth again this time it goes as I can not get good ammo .1500 rounds all carefully checked and stil a faulty round ends the night.do not buy a 17hmr ever..

out last night with the 17hmr,four rabbits for four shots using the photon all good,fith shot strange pop removed Remington fired case,primer fired bullet two inches up barrel case still full of powder unable to dislodge stuck bullet with cleaning rod.end of outing f king crap ammo gave the `17hmr another chance and got kicked in the teeth again this time it goes as I can not get good ammo .1500 rounds all carefully checked and stil a faulty round ends the night.do not buy a 17hmr ever..

Mmmm well? could come to that in the end I guess doh!!!!

just to add on ,I have just rechecked the remaining rounds from last night,i took 150 rounds with me,another 16 with split necks .all hmr rounds are checked when purchased so can only think these others split in the gun room which never gets below 15 c.these things should be recalled as unsafe buy something else

The main problem as I understand is "balling powder" causing a lack of correct detonation. I did hear of a less than experienced shooter who put three rounds up his CZ leaving the bullets stacked up the pipe thinking he has missed mr wabbit before realising there was an issue.

Cannot comment on split necks.

There must be a serious amount of crap ammo over with you lads. I only ever shoot Hornady,as it's the cheapest I can get, and I've never had an issue. In fact I've never felt the need to checked rounds before shooting. I've only ever had one hang fire in about 1400 rounds, about 4 years ago and that was with Federal.

A friend had virtual case head separation of one this week, nasty bang, lots of sparks. I'll try and post pics. Looked like there was too much priming compound perhaps? He wasn't happy.

http://prntscr.com/9yz9ke

http://prntscr.com/9yza28

http://prntscr.com/9yzadj

Jesus , thats hm2 as well . Hornady have alot to answer for , its already gone on too long . Once my batch of Amax 6mm are gone , thats it for me and hornady . Sierra all the way . Probably going same route with Hodgdon to vhita vourie ! Fu[k em :blink:

the faulty ammo problem has not gone away I had problems earlier this week with ammo that was only delivered to the rfd Tuesday last week Remington ammo 17 split cases out of 150 not only a hornady problem so be aware/short any you buy

I've been using a hmr for 5 years now shooting on average 1500 rounds a year on bunnies.

In that time I've only had one squab round that left the bullet a couple inches up the barrel.and loads of powder in my eyes on ejection.

For my needs it's great. Cheap and effective.

Also use 22lr but the richochet factor limits permissions for use.

I always buy in bulk 500 - 1000 @ a time .

My shooting buddy has had 3 dodgy rounds in the last 3 months . But for the amount we use it doesn't bother me.

I've been using a hmr for 5 years now shooting on average 1500 rounds a year on bunnies.

In that time I've only had one squab round that left the bullet a couple inches up the barrel.and loads of powder in my eyes on ejection.

For my needs it's great. Cheap and effective.

Also use 22lr but the richochet factor limits permissions for use.

I always buy in bulk 500 - 1000 @ a time .

My shooting buddy has had 3 dodgy rounds in the last 3 months . But for the amount we use it doesn't bother me.

A land owner has said you can use a .17HMR but not a .22LR? Bizarre.

Archived