DPT Suppressors

Very similar the Hardy mods

Not the quietest (nor claim to be ) but as an all round package they're excellent especially on a sporting rifle

I think sound suppression is all relative really, its never going to be a .22 with subs but the one review I read from a guy in NZ said he and his 3 friends all thought it was quieter than the Hardy.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1402472871

I think sound suppression is all relative really, its never going to be a .22 with subs but the one review I read from a guy in NZ said he and his 3 friends all thought it was quieter than the Hardy.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1402472871

From what I heard from a Hardy, that's hardly surprising! A fighter jet is quieter than a Hardy!

Finman

To be fair I don't think the Hardy is any worse than others down range but the inbuilt muzzle break certainly makes it slightly noisier at the shooters end .Not uncomfortable but certainly louder than others.The benefit of the break is that it does temper the recoil if thats a consideration

There's also a new model ATec coming out in the coming months thats similar weight/dimensions that might be worth a look at but will carry a higher price tag than the DPT

The DPT is a well made copy of the Roedale which is a copy of the ???. They're slightly quieter than a Hardy on average -but- the new Hardy Stealth is pretty good. One of my gunsmith mates has a Stealth on his .204 and it's very quiet.

DPT have in little time captured a large slice of the NZ market. Hardy are still dominant in sales I'm pretty sure but the DPTs are cheaper and have a good reputation.

Al- I think the DPT would be good for your stated requirements. Light and def adequate nosie reduction

We manufacture a reasonably diverse range of moderators but do not offer an ultra-lightweight over barrel model, as such I contacted DPT in order to try one of theirs in 223.

As has been mentioned earlier in this post it is not the quietest but for a lightweight, over barreled unit with perfectly satisfactory sound attenuation I would happily endorse it.

Colin

Onelesscharlie Sound Moderators

We manufacture a reasonably diverse range of moderators but do not offer an ultra-lightweight over barrel model, as such I contacted DPT in order to try one of theirs in 223.

As has been mentioned earlier in this post it is not the quietest but for a lightweight, over barreled unit with perfectly satisfactory sound attenuation I would happily endorse it.

Colin

Onelesscharlie Sound Moderators

Thanks for such an honest endorsement Colin.

I guess the fact is it wont be possible to get the most suppression in the lightest package? Then again they do sell extra baffles if needed.

Al as you say there isn't a mod available at the present time (and physics says that there will possibly never be) a mod that is all things to all men.In my experience both long and/or heavy seems to be quieter than the light and short option.The only exception to this at the moment is the titanium option but this has a price tag to match.If you go down this route I'd recommend a Lawrence Precision custom jobby but be prepared to pay around double the price for something like a dpt

If you want quiet I suggest either a JetZ Compact that will add both 6" and a good 600g to your barrel or as an alternative some sort of some PES configuration .If its short and light you want at the present time its either a Hardy or DPT which both add less than 100mm in length and a few hundred grammes

To be honest the DPT looks the best option for your needs as described

Al as you say there isn't a mod available at the present time (and physics says that there will possibly never be) a mod that is all things to all men.In my experience both long and/or heavy seems to be quieter than the light and short option.The only exception to this at the moment is the titanium option but this has a price tag to match.If you go down this route I'd recommend a Lawrence Precision custom jobby but be prepared to pay around double the price for something like a dpt

If you want quiet I suggest either a JetZ Compact that will add both 6" and a good 600g to your barrel or as an alternative some sort of some PES configuration .If its short and light you want at the present time its either a Hardy or DPT which both add less than 100mm in length and a few hundred grammes

To be honest the DPT looks the best option for your needs as described

We agree WSM, lightest weight and best suppression dont belong in the same sentence :)

Ive tried the DPT on my rifle and at 240g is really is noticeable compared to the 480g one which is currently on there, in fact Im quite amazed how much difference half a pound makes when it at the end of a 39" rifle!

I've been using a DPT on my 6BR for a good few months now and I'm very happy with it. I got a 6.5cal so I can use it on my 6.5x55 also (not tried it yet).

Side by side with my mates .223 T8 theres nothing between them - it does a great job IMO especially when you consider its size/weight.

I'll be picking up a Tikka T3 22-250 this week that comes with a t8 and the t8 is promised to a mate already...my advise - buy one, you wont be disappointed!

• 5 months later...

Yes its basically a copy of the Roedale can , but only in aluminium , the Roedale had Aluminium , SS & steel selection of parts .

When DPT 1st come out ont he NZ market , I made the comment that they need to offer 2 things , 1 ) A SS or steel baffle & 2 ) A SS insert thread for the barrel , as I think putting the can on and off , will wear out the thread in Aluminium pretty quickly .

They have just brought out a SS baffle , so you can buy 1 or 2 and use them at the start of the baffle stack stack , where most of the gas cutting is done .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

They are pretty good in my opinion, I would say that the bore/hole is perhaps larger than it should be and in most cases you can get away with a '1 size down'. My .25-06 (25cal) was initially quite loud and I swapped the front end baffle stack for a 6mm, result, much quieter. I also added a stainless baffle and increased the std 4 baffle to a 5 baffle stack. That made a huge difference too. So in conclusion my choice is an over barrel (reflex) moderator, 1 cal smaller with extra stainless and std baffles.

Look here https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/130650-moderator-bore-(hole)-size?p=1208706&viewfull=1#post1208706

Got a DPT on my .308 stalking rifle and it's great so light weight you hardly no it's there the finish is very nice and it looks neat I'm glad the RFD I bought the rifle of also talked me into buying one of these big ??up

Archived