UKBRA 100 & 1000 Yards (15th and 16th August 2015)

mole-e30

UKBRA Benchrest Round 5 – 15th and 16th August 2015

This weekend saw round 5 of the UKBRA 100 and 1000 yard leagues at Diggle ranges.

100 yards - Saturday

A great day weather-wise, sunshine and a light breeze, however the Diggle dam was playing some tricks with the wind, so we all had to be a bit careful.

Just as per last month there were some very nice groups, special mentions to….. Tony Lenton & Darrell Evans with a 0.193”, Brian Walker with a 0.132” but best of all was Chris Maunder with an amazing 0.127”, well done to all.

After a trigger malfunction in the warm-up, Chris Maunder managed to put this comfortably behind him, shooting 3 groups in the ones on his way to a winning with a very nice 0.2268” agg.

Aiming to improve on last time’s already excellent performance Stuart “Shooting God” Benson had a couple of groups in the 2’s today, with his best being 0.292” and enough to earn him small group in Sporter class.

There were a 6 people shooting aggs in the 2’s today and the top 5 places changed several times during the day, a great day’s shooting was had by all.

Here are the results……….

Heavy Varmint

1. – Chris Maunder – 0.2268” (average of 5 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Brian Walker – 0.2416

3. – Darrel Evans – 0.2620

Small Group – Chris Maunder – 0.127

Sporter

1. – Stuart Benson – 0.4432” (average of 5 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Andy Woolley – 0.4846

3. – Jack Mills – 0.9608

Small Group – Stuart Benson – 0.292

Full results can be seen by clicking the link below

1000 yards – Sunday

In stark contrast to last month’s shoot, Sunday dawned and we were greeted with sunshine and a near flat calm…….. how long will this last we all asked!

Well the near perfect conditions lasted for the entire day, there were some brief spells with a slight breeze, but it was the best conditions I have ever seen for 1000 yard benchrest shooting. However the sunshine and lack of wind did lead to some mirage at times and people were trading windage for vertical stringing.

Just about everyone today had at least one “if only group” where 4 shots were in X inches, where the X was very small (we are talking 2-4”)!

However on the whole the groups were extremely good and the top groups were as follows, Factory – Stuart Benson 6.014”, Light Gun – Ian Dixon 3.961” and Heavy Gun – Tony Lenton 8.138

There was a great tussle going on in Light Gun, with some stunning shooting going on by all. It was also great to see some more new faces joining us, the more the merrier. Ian Dixon shot a magnificent 3.961” group to take the small group award. Steve Dunn taking the win using a 22BR, the smallest cartridge of the day.

In heavy gun we were missing a few of our usual faces, however we did have a newcomer, Daniel Valmont with a monster teeth rattler of a 338 Lapua Magnum. There was a tight battle between Steve Barrett, Tony Lenton and myself, with the battle finishing in that order and Tony Lenton taking the small group award having almost beaten the UKBRA small group record.

In Factory class the “Shooting God” was back out again, winning the day and the small group, but as per both other classes there was a good tussle going on and some small groups by everyone at one stage or another….. Congratulations to you all!

A great day was had by all, but a great day to see what our rifles could do in near perfect conditions that we won’t probably see for a good while to come.

For a bit of fun at the end of the shoot Vince allowed me to shoot a 5 shoot group with my 50lb 6mmBR ---- just for fun to see what it could do in these near perfect conditions......... Well it shot a 2.619” group, the smallest EVER 5 shot 1000 yard group in the UK. However as Heavy Guns shoot 10 shot groups for the comp and the rifle is just a little bit over the 17lb Light Gun limit, it won’t count as an official record. But fun anyway and Vince’s 2.690” Light Gun record still stands!

Anyway, without further ado, here are the results

Light Gun

1. – Steve Dunn6.619” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Graham Francis – 7.419

3. – Vince Bottomley7.590

Small Group – Ian Dixon – 3.961

Heavy Gun

1. – Steve Barrett9.576” (average of 2 x 10 shot groups)

2. – Tony Lenton – 10.052

3. – Bruce Lenton11.527

Small Group – Tony Lenton8.138

Factory Sporter

1. – Stuart Benson – 7.947” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Nick Parkin8.619

3. – Alan Seagrave – 10.133

Small Group – Stuart Benson – 6.014

Full results can be seen by clicking the link below.

Our next outing at Diggle is the weekend of 5th and 6th September, this is the final shoot for the summer league of 2015, so please as always come along and have fun, we may even get some sun, it is supposed to be summer after all.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you chaps.these 6mm br's are damned good even at 1k.what bullet would you say they used.i guess the 7mm wsm would of been the 180gr hybrid.maybe a 140gr hybrid in the 6.5x284.the 6mm smack I've never heard of.22br wouldn't have a clue.fantastic grouping.what rifle was the 6mm br factory sporter rifle.would it have a hammer forged barrel

A 50lb 6mm br rifle, wow thats a beast, 50 cals aren't that heavy are they,2,619 inch 5 shot group, thats truely amazing, any stats on this beast,barrel length etc etc, velocity of this 6mm br cartridge

Hi

Spec is as follows......

Barrel - 30" 1:8 Benchmark, with no turn 6BR chamber

Action - GBR - Right Bolt Right Port

Trigger - Kelbly

Stock - Based on a TrueFlight barrel block chassis then modified by my dad to create the 50lb monster

8" forend 3" rear end

Rests - Seb Max at the front Lenton Home build at the rear

Scope - Nightforce Competition 15-55

Load - Lapua 6BR brass 3 x fired

Bullets - Berger 105VLD @ 2950fps

Powder - Vit N150

Primers - CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum

Only change I would make is to go for a Right Bolt, Left Port or a Dual Port action if I did it again to get extra speed of loading.

IMG_0818_zpsvkfg7spf.jpg

Jeez that is a beast, that has to be as stable as it gets, a monster of a rifle for a diddy little cartridge, certainly worth all the effort if irs capable of just over 2 and a half inches and better, not sure there be an advantage to use a different calibre if its that accurate, I would like one of you chaps to set one of my rifle in your bench one day to see how good it can really do, it seems to do ok at 1k zeroing with a rear bag but its a whole different ball game prone doing snap details,4 shots in 20 seconds being the shortest, thanks for the photo and the stats, atb swaro

Thank you chaps.these 6mm br's are damned good even at 1k.what bullet would you say they used.i guess the 7mm wsm would of been the 180gr hybrid.maybe a 140gr hybrid in the 6.5x284.the 6mm smack I've never heard of.22br wouldn't have a clue.fantastic grouping.what rifle was the 6mm br factory sporter rifle.would it have a hammer forged barrel

Smack? Swiss Match ACK. 22BR is a necked-down version of the 6BR

The factory Savage has the original button-rifled factory barrel.

Neil,there are very limited options for 6BR in 'sporting rifle' from the factory,if sporting rifle means caryable/field use ie ''7-8 lb weight. On this criterion,it's even worse than 6PPC was (no Sako!)

RPA/Savage and most of the few other European 300metre comp rifles are too heavy; Cooper do what they desribe as 6Benchrest (confusing)-once only in 14.1 twist,but I think the new ones (6BR) come in a 1 in 8 twist,in the Model 22,usually a fine rifle,though not budget priced.

Don't be tempted by the older 6BR remington option-they are not chambered/throated for the heavy bulletsneeded to give long range capability.

g

Justin,the 'best' choices for 22BR at long range are the (high BC),low drag options ,1in 8 or 7,including:

90g JLK (.570)

80g Berger (.48) ;Sierra MK ( .4 ) and Nosler Comp (.4)

There may be other less available custom bullets...don't know what Steve used...

g

Justin, I

Jeez that is a beast, that has to be as stable as it gets, a monster of a rifle for a diddy little cartridge, certainly worth all the effort if irs capable of just over 2 and a half inches and better, not sure there be an advantage to use a different calibre if its that accurate, I would like one of you chaps to set one of my rifle in your bench one day to see how good it can really do, it seems to do ok at 1k zeroing with a rear bag but its a whole different ball game prone doing snap details,4 shots in 20 seconds being the shortest, thanks for the photo and the stats, atb swaro

I would guess that Steve used an 80gn bullet. I use an 80gn in my 22 Dasher - which is similar.

Justin, I

I would guess that Steve used an 80gn bullet. I use an 80gn in my 22 Dasher - which is similar

I would like one of you chaps to set one of my rifle in your bench one day to see how good it can really do, it seems to do ok at 1k zeroing with a rear bag but its a whole different ball game prone doing snap details,4 shots in 20 seconds being the shortest, thanks for the photo and the stats, atb swaro

Well, that's how it starts Swaro - "I wonder how good my rifle is?". Come along one day and give it a go - you will be very welcome.

A proper set-up helps a lot, so you really need a three-inch 'bag-rider' on the fore-end - then you can borrow one of our rests.

We shoot 600 yd benchrest over the winter - check out the Diggle calendar on the website for dates.

Am I reading this correctly that the factory sporters shot smaller groups than the heavy custom guns or is it a totally different comp?

Not being a competition shooter I'm not sure how it works!

Cheers Andy

Light Gun

1. – Steve Dunn – 6.619” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Graham Francis – 7.419”

3. – Vince Bottomley – 7.590”

Small Group – Ian Dixon – 3.961”

Heavy Gun

1. – Steve Barrett – 9.576” (average of 2 x 10 shot groups)

2. – Tony Lenton – 10.052”

3. – Bruce Lenton – 11.527”

Small Group – Tony Lenton – 8.138”

Factory Sporter

1. – Stuart Benson – 7.947” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Nick Parkin – 8.619”

3. – Alan Seagrave – 10.133”

Small Group – Stuart Benson – 6.014”

Andy

Light Gun and Factory shoot 4 x 5 shot groups

Heavy Gun shoot 2 x 10 shot groups.

Trust me 10 shot groups are not twice as hard as 5 shot groups....... Hence why I tried a 5 shot group with my Heavy Gun to see what it could do.

Cheers

Bruce

Andy,factor in that Heavy Gun is 10 shot groups,rather than the 5 shot groups for Light and Factory.

A look at Light compared to Heavy gives a fair idea of what the number of shots ( 5 and 10 respectively) do to group size( on this data,about 44% increase; from 7.2 to 10.4 inches,averaging the top 3).

Very good conditions also tend to reduce the H/L custom gun advantages,at least for the best in Factory class-which tends to be more variable too.)

gbal

The last 6mm Dasher I had was built for 600 yds BR with a 24 inch barrel.

I did try it in 1000yd BR competition and got - if I remember - some decent single-figure groups in the 6 to 7inch range.

Starting from scratch, you'd go no shorter than 28 inches for 1000 yd BR

DONT BE A PUSSY MARTIN AND I DRIVE UP AND BACK THE SAME DAY 5 HOURS EACH WAY AND I HAVE TO LISTEN TO BLOODY BRUCE SPRINGSTEIN THE WHOLE WAY

Archived