.243 limits

Guest Stacka

Guest Stacka

hi guys, iv been trying to work up a good load for my .243.

I want to achieve a good stalking round, as well as a good long range round.

Currently I'm using Nosler 90gr BTips but found out at 400m I'm not getting that warm fuzzy feeling. I was getting not great groups at 200m also.

Could be the fleshy end, so I'm wondering what are the limits of this calibre and load?

I'm shooting an RPA interseptor using 105g Amax with 42g of Rel22 or 42 g of Rel 19 really good stalking round. Also using 95g Noslers with 41g of Vit 550 all in Lapue cases with Fed gold match primers no pressure signs but drop yours down 10 percent or more as they are hot ish loads.

Guest Stacka

I'm shooting an RPA interseptor using 105g Amax with 42g of Rel22 or 42 g of Rel 19 really good stalking round. Also using 95g Noslers with 41g of Vit 550 all in Lapue cases with Fed gold match primers no pressure signs but drop yours down 10 percent or more as they are hot ish loads.

The 42gr of H380 was the only load I could get to shoot accurate at 100m.

What sort of group size can I expect at 200m?

Guest Stacka

The 42gr of H380 was the only load I could get to shoot accurate at 100m.

What sort of group size can I expect at 200m?

Have a look here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/

Depending on what twist your barrel has you should find something to suit. Be aware the vld's can be tricky to get to shoot but shoot very well when you find the sweet spot.

Yeah I was considering the Berger bullets in 87gr. Hard to find mind.

Hi mate,

My 24inch .243 border barrel loves 87 & 95 gn vld's with N160, they kill deer and foxes very well, also depending on what your shooting if you don't need good expansion ie long range crows try 90gn lapua scenars also with N160 they are stupidly accurate and easier to get hold of. Give Norman Clark a ring they usually have some in stock. If you want pop over I can give you some to try for load devolpement.

Ben

Guest Stacka

Also without being awkward I want to stick with H380 for ease of use and it works amazing in my .22-250

I'll try the 87gr if you have any spare mate?

243 is a fine round for your needs , as already stated vit ,160 runs really well through it . So as not to confuse your uses ie Deer control ..... And long range shooting , many loadings will serve you well for both needs . You have a 10 twist so the heavies are out but you should be able to run 95grn bt , I used 43 grns of vit 160 in my rifle shoots well and safe around 3200fps though that was my last barrel .

Other powders I liked H 4831sc

H 380 is fine but I you want long range performance you need to load for it so different powders will be needed

Look up john whidden ,on the web he smashes records with a 243 in the USA

I do all my testing at 200yards no matter what caliber as what looks good at 100y falls apart at 200y. Mine shoots dead on (with no wind) and the next two follow up shots go a quater inch to the right.

I can't tell you what your going to get I've got a border barel 1:9 twist from the old company.

Vit 160 isn't as good in mine so try a bit of what ever you can get with out buying loads of a powder first would be my advise and good luck.

Stacka,as all the posts-the 243 has no 'accuracy' limits,per se;but rifles do,and in a sporter weight,with a 'standard' slower twist and sub 100g bullets,long range will be ellusive,though it is an excellent combination for much UK field shooting (red stags too,but hardly optimal). As you know.

The 'do it all' is always tricky (impossible?)-you need a fast twist and 115 DTAcs for serious long range performance from the 243w ...but also a premium heavy barrel....etc

As a compromise,somethig like a Sako/Tikka varmint comes close -as a somewhat overweight carry stalker,but 500 yard competent range rifle-sub moa could be expected with reloading-and 1/2 moa well possible.

243 is quite popular in US 'precision'/tactical shooting-rifles available,reliable magazine feed,and good performance to 5/600 yards with acceptable recoil....

Of course, optimum loads need the usual working up,but 243 tends not to be ultra fussy...with 58g it's a real varminter on trajectory,mine shoots match 68g rather well,and up to 87g (standard twist) for field,or 600 range gongs. Viht powders seem fine.

gbal

Stacka,as all the posts-the 243 has no 'accuracy' limits,per se;but rifles do,and in a sporter weight,with a 'standard' slower twist and sub 100g bullets,long range will be ellusive,though it is an excellent combination for much UK field shooting (red stags too,but hardly optimal). As you know.

The 'do it all' is always tricky (impossible?)-you need a fast twist and 115 DTAcs for serious long range performance from the 243w ...but also a premium heavy barrel....etc

As a compromise,somethig like a Sako/Tikka varmint comes close -as a somewhat overweight carry stalker,but 500 yard competent range rifle-sub moa could be expected with reloading-and 1/2 moa well possible.

243 is quite popular in US 'precision'/tactical shooting-rifles available,reliable magazine feed,and good performance to 5/600 yards with acceptable recoil....

Of course, optimum loads need the usual working up,but 243 tends not to be ultra fussy...with 58g it's a real varminter on trajectory,mine shoots match 68g rather well,and up to 87g (standard twist) for field,or 600 range gongs. Viht powders seem fine.

gbal

So in theory what would be the best varmint / long range bullet to start with in my .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint , 20" barrel ,1 in 10 twist ?

Cheers

So in theory what would be the best varmint / long range bullet to start with in my .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint , 20" barrel ,1 in 10 twist ?

Cheers

The 10-inch twist is really limiting. The best bullet you could get hold of for mid range match use is the 88gn Berger HBCFB (High-BC flat base), an unusual hybrid design (and nothing to do with Berger's 'Hybrid' models) that combines a long, sharp, secant ogive nose taken straight off a 105gn VLD with a flat-base rear. They are as common as hen's teeth these days in this country.

Berger designed the 87gn 6mm 'Hunting VLD' just for these barrels and it's the best combination of BC and weight you'll likely be able to find. Interestingly, since Bryan Litz designed this bullet, the optimum stability coefficient rating has been raised from 1.4 to 1.5. At 3,000 fps in a 'ten', the 87 is nearer the lower figure and so loses a small amount of aerodynamic efficiency, ie has a slightly lower BC than that stated. The problem here of course is yet again with our loony laws in that it is a 'Hunting VLD' in an orange box therefore can only be sold to those whose variations are for stalking etc and shouldn't be used on ranges in competition. Otherwise, it's 90gn match bullets from Berger and Lapua and they're barely optimally stabilised, also have relatively low BCs compared to the better 105s. They'll make a sporting 243 usable in short to mid-range competition and they'll get to 1,000 yards still supersonic, but being competitive against the same rifle and barrel length shooting the equivalent size and powder charges 260 Rem, 6.5X47L, or 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor, simply no.

FWIW, here are the Sg (stability) values for the three possible bullets at 3,000 fps in standard ballistic conditions in the 10 inch twist:

87gn Berger Hunting VLD .............. 1.33 ............. 5% BC value loss

90gn Berger BT .............................. 1.34 ............. 5%

90gn Scenar ................................... 1.14 ............. 11%

1.5 is today's recommended minimum, although 1.3 and above will see the bullet shoot and group OK. (Anything above 1.0 is theortically stabilised although bullets in the 1.01 to 1.2 bracket often simply don't work well in any conditions or become condition sensitive and won't perform on cold days etc.)

Your options?

1) Forget 1,000 yards and think of 600 max, maybe 800.

2) If you must stick to 243 and are desperate to shoot at 1,000, JCS' suggestion (8-inch twist barrel throated for 105gn VLDs) is the only sensible way forward.

3) Laurie's recommnendation - get a variation for a 6.5 and go rebarrel to that. Longer barrel life and less trouble all round.

That's not to say that 243 can't be a successful L-R number. Google US gunsmith, toolmaker, rifle builder and top US prone conventional rifle competitor John Whidden (Whidden Gunworks). He shoots his own build 243s with 7.5 inch twist barrels and 115s at serious MVs and has just won the Wimbledon Cup (again) at Camp Perry. The fact that barrels are relatively cheap in the US, that he fits them himself and that he runs three (yes, three) 243 comp rifles at any one time tells you something about barrel accuracy life though with the 243 at this level.

Hi Stacka.

I have used 88 Grain Berger High BC bullets for varminting and foxing. They were a very good if pricey and hard to get hold of.

They were noticibly less explosive on impact than 87 grn Vmax... to be fair they stilll had plenty of knock down power.

Accuracy was very good - on average 0.3 MOA groups - with some significantly smaller.

I only bought some to see if they made much improvment to accuracy and consistancy over the 87 grn Vmax that was the staple diet of my 243.

They didnt TBH , certainly not enough to justify the extra 33 % increase in price or the hassle of travelling to Trent firearms to collect.

I tried some 95 grn Berger hunting / target bullets (in Orange box) in a 8 twist 243 - My advice is - Dont bother buying them if they are for fox (or vermin).

They pass cleanly through without expansion. No idea how they perform on Deer , but I do know they are very poor on fox and rabbits.

I refused to use them after needing to shoot a fox in the head dispatch it , this was after two previous shots to the chest failed to .

The rest of the bullets were used up on plates and paper. Which was rather an expensive paper punch.

ATB
S

The 10-inch twist is really limiting. The best bullet you could get hold of for mid range match use is the 88gn Berger HBCFB (High-BC flat base), an unusual hybrid design (and nothing to do with Berger's 'Hybrid' models) that combines a long, sharp, secant ogive nose taken straight off a 105gn VLD with a flat-base rear. They are as common as hen's teeth these days in this country.

Berger designed the 87gn 6mm 'Hunting VLD' just for these barrels and it's the best combination of BC and weight you'll likely be able to find. Interestingly, since Bryan Litz designed this bullet, the optimum stability coefficient rating has been raised from 1.4 to 1.5. At 3,000 fps in a 'ten', the 87 is nearer the lower figure and so loses a small amount of aerodynamic efficiency, ie has a slightly lower BC than that stated. The problem here of course is yet again with our loony laws in that it is a 'Hunting VLD' in an orange box therefore can only be sold to those whose variations are for stalking etc and shouldn't be used on ranges in competition. Otherwise, it's 90gn match bullets from Berger and Lapua and they're barely optimally stabilised, also have relatively low BCs compared to the better 105s. They'll make a sporting 243 usable in short to mid-range competition and they'll get to 1,000 yards still supersonic, but being competitive against the same rifle and barrel length shooting the equivalent size and powder charges 260 Rem, 6.5X47L, or 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor, simply no.

FWIW, here are the Sg (stability) values for the three possible bullets at 3,000 fps in standard ballistic conditions in the 10 inch twist:

87gn Berger Hunting VLD .............. 1.33 ............. 5% BC value loss

90gn Berger BT .............................. 1.34 ............. 5%

90gn Scenar ................................... 1.14 ............. 11%

1.5 is today's recommended minimum, although 1.3 and above will see the bullet shoot and group OK. (Anything above 1.0 is theortically stabilised although bullets in the 1.01 to 1.2 bracket often simply don't work well in any conditions or become condition sensitive and won't perform on cold days etc.)

Your options?

1) Forget 1,000 yards and think of 600 max, maybe 800.

2) If you must stick to 243 and are desperate to shoot at 1,000, JCS' suggestion (8-inch twist barrel throated for 105gn VLDs) is the only sensible way forward.

3) Laurie's recommnendation - get a variation for a 6.5 and go rebarrel to that. Longer barrel life and less trouble all round.

That's not to say that 243 can't be a successful L-R number. Google US gunsmith, toolmaker, rifle builder and top US prone conventional rifle competitor John Whidden (Whidden Gunworks). He shoots his own build 243s with 7.5 inch twist barrels and 115s at serious MVs and has just won the Wimbledon Cup (again) at Camp Perry. The fact that barrels are relatively cheap in the US, that he fits them himself and that he runs three (yes, three) 243 comp rifles at any one time tells you something about barrel accuracy life though with the 243 at this level.

Thanks for that , much appreciated. SWS

Does any one have one of those fancy reloading programs and can work out a Max load for H380 and Berger 87gr VLD please

Only YOUR rifle can tell you that.

I reckon you need to run a powder specific to your bullet choice, keep the h380 for your 22-250 and get something more suitable for your .243

If you want custom rifle accuracy, get a custom rifle (or a blaser)

Archived