200yd mcqueens

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal best at 200 was this years Phoenix was a 50.2.

I have managed a 50.6 at 200 but not in competition; and I reckon the targets were up for around 5 secs so I don't count it.

Managed a 50.3 at 300 one year but it wasn't winning score.

Edited to add:

Just checked the NRA scores only to find my 50.3 is actually a 50.6. I'm better at this than I though! :)

Brown dogs 200yd mcqueens can't be beaten.10 v's is 60 points.i would like to be down the butts to see that happen again.that was a carlsberg shoot

I think it happens pretty much every year at one of the matches if not most of them.

I assume the "record" is the one who has done it most recently ?

I think it happens pretty much every year at one of the matches if not most of them.

I assume the "record" is the one who has done it most recently ?

http://galleryrifle.com/classifications/phoenix-records/

Found this, it appears that Matt's name is still the only one on the record list.

Shooting first thing in the morning usually applies too 1000yds too.zero early shoot detail early usually pays.the wind seems to worsen on stickledown as the day passes and becomes more inconsistant.short siberia always seems to be blowy.generally we shoot mcqueens pm.

http://galleryrifle.com/classifications/phoenix-records/

Found this, it appears that Matt's name is still the only one on the record list.

To the best of my knowledge, matt's record has never been equalled.

I used to shoot it regularly on SS and know the RO,s who run it very well.

Scores did creep up in later years and you had to shoot a 55 upwards to reshoot , or even figure in the prizes most meetings.

Iv head good fun shooting this but never got above 49 at 300yards and 54 at 200 yards the company that ran small friendly comps seems to have stopped so is ther any clubs that shoot it as comp or practice as IDE like to have a proper go?

To the best of my knowledge, matt's record has never been equalled.

I used to shoot it regularly on SS and know the RO,s who run it very well.

Scores did creep up in later years and you had to shoot a 55 upwards to reshoot , or even figure in the prizes most meetings.

I couldn't do it again. I'd just come back from a sniper comp in europe and was a little bit 'in the zone' as a result. I had genuinely never heard of McQueens before- a couple of blokes on the comp described it to me; I got back on the Fri and, by fluke, the Phoenix was on -which gave me a timely opportunity to try this 'cool-sounding' comp I'd just learnt about. I got permission from the long-haired general to pop-up and shot it with an AWP in 308. I shot one go to understand how the comp worked and then lay down and shot it properly. The way that shoot caused a ripple of excitement was such a delight that I stayed up for the prize-giving on the day.

I couldn't do it again. I'd just come back from a sniper comp in europe and was a little bit 'in the zone' as a result. I had genuinely never heard of McQueens before- a couple of blokes on the comp described it to me; I got back on the Fri and, by fluke, the Phoenix was on -which gave me a timely opportunity to try this 'cool-sounding' comp I'd just learnt about. I got permission from the long-haired general to pop-up and shot it with an AWP in 308. I shot one go to understand how the comp worked and then lay down and shot it properly. The way that shoot caused a ripple of excitement was such a delight that I stayed up for the prize-giving on the day.

Just thinking, I've done 3 McQueens comps (it doesn't 'grab me' - it's fun once in a blue moon on a straight range, but, to me, it's a bit repetitive, rather like the rifle equivalent of -yawn- DTL clay shooting; but then again, I don't really like straight ranges anyway :rolleyes::lol::) ) the one described above, the one with the unzeroed No4(T), and one with a brand new rifle........the brand new rifle was an amusing story too, as it caused Ian (Elwood) (v strong F-Class background) to weep with frustration: I had just received the completed rifle from Ronin. Load development took place at the back of the range in Ewen's (of DTA) car boot - charges dropped by harrell to be around the go-to load, OAL set using a lee-handpress and holding the rounds up next to (I think) Elwood's loaded rounds until they looked to be the same length ...and then cranking a bunch out before shooting the comp. (Must have got a rough zero before shooting, but I can't remember doing that). Lay down and shot the 300 and got this first go. El Presidente with bar:

P1000379.jpg

Just thinking, I've done 3 McQueens comps (it doesn't 'grab me' - it's fun once in a blue moon on a straight range, but, to me, it's a bit repetitive, rather like the rifle equivalent of -yawn- DTL clay shooting; but then again, I don't really like straight ranges anyway :rolleyes::lol::) ) the one described above, the one with the unzeroed No4(T), and one with a brand new rifle........the brand new rifle was an amusing story too, as it caused Ian (Elwood) (v strong F-Class background) to weep with frustration: I had just received the completed rifle from Ronin. Load development took place at the back of the range in Ewen's (of DTA) car boot - charges dropped by harrell to be around the go-to load, OAL set using a lee-handpress and holding the rounds up next to (I think) Elwood's loaded rounds until they looked to be the same length ...and then cranking a bunch out before shooting the comp. (Must have got a rough zero before shooting, but I can't remember doing that). Lay down and shot the 300 and got this first go. El Presidente with bar:

P1000379.jpg

Matt - have you still got that rifle, sounds like a keeper? (snigger-snigger :) )

Mick, my pic is of an Imperial medal; my 2007 Phoenix medal looks just like yours (except it says 'Winner' :lol::P:) )

I got a much longer piece of ribbon and now wear it à la CBE with my jim jams.

Interesting that breacher mentioned that people regularly top-out at 300 - that data rather supports the view that 200 is harder

Mick, my pic is of an Imperial medal; my Phoenix medal looks just like yours (except it says 'Winner' :lol::P:) )

Interesting that breacher mentioned that people regularly top-out at 300 - that data rather supports the view that 200 is harder

I was joint 1st with two others much to my eternal shame! :o

Yes, Brian is quite right regarding the highest scores seem to be made during the Imperial 300 McQueens Meeting.

Giving it some thought Short Siberia has magpie alley to contend with and there is usually a lack of sandbags to help pad out your firing position. In fact the state of the firing point on SS is not conducive to a comfortable shooting position. Whereas on Century there are usually 3 sandbags per shooter. Although Bradders and Daddypig witnessed one getting shot next to the firing point I was shooting on this year! :lol:

I was joint 1st with two others much to my eternal shame! :o

Yes, Brian is quite right regarding the highest scores seem to be made during the Imperial 300 McQueens Meeting.

Giving it some thought Short Siberia has magpie alley to contend with and there is usually a lack of sandbags to help pad out your firing position. In fact the state of the firing point on SS is not conducive to a comfortable shooting position. Whereas on Century there are usually 3 sandbags per shooter. Although Bradders and Daddypig witnessed one getting shot next to the firing point I was shooting on this year! :lol:

Yes; although I think a major factor is that at 300 you barely have to move the rifle to cover full left and right of arc - and once you're 'on', you're as good as 'on' all of the target presentations which -in angular terms - barely change.

Ironically I have just collected my phoenix medal for this years 50.2 effort. Sadly the design has changed and unlike Brown dog's medal this one has no fixture for my pyjamas! :ph34r:

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

hi strangely, ive never won a medal from shooting, never entered a proper comp but I do want too,I am pretty competitive, I dont shoot for second place, if I lived near bisley I would be there alot, I am not a lover of travelling, its been a while since ive drove to bisley,a mate drives,there is a friends and family day next month and I will be driving then, my 3 sons and my daughter are coming up to have a go.

Archived