I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A website that a few of you might be interested in is https://toolwatch.io/ . It's useful for checking the accuracy of your mechanical watches and ensuring they're still within COSC spec etc.

Thanks, I'll have a go with that.

I've struggled to find accurate time (beeps on BBC digital radio are significantly out (by a few seconds) to 'real' time (if anyone wants to check the difference, have an analogue radio (correct time) running next to a digital (few seconds late)); so I find this useful: http://time.is/

Out of interest how often is everyone servicing their mechanical watches? I know Rolex has upped their service interval recommendation to 10 years lately.

About every 10 years is right, but really you will be guided by how well the watch is running. Don't leave it for too long though. Parts can wear if they don't have the right oil.

You can save yourself a fortune if you go to one of the independent Watchmakers with a good reputation, instead of having it serviced through Rolex. The favourites on TZ-UK seem to be Genesis in Cumbria, Watchworks in Bristol, or Ryte Time in Leicester. I've used all 3 and each time the experience has been very good.

About every 10 years is right, but really you will be guided by how well the watch is running. Don't leave it for too long though. Parts can wear if they don't have the right oil.

You can save yourself a fortune if you go to one of the independent Watchmakers with a good reputation, instead of having it serviced through Rolex. The favourites on TZ-UK seem to be Genesis in Cumbria, Watchworks in Bristol, or Ryte Time in Leicester. I've used all 3 and each time the experience has been very good.

Was at St James Sq yesterday, 'standard' Rolex sub service is currently running at £430. I've always thought the independents are at about the same price point (am I wrong?) but leave you with a service warranty that's, in comparison to a service warranty from Rolex themselves, of no real value.

(Went in to ask about a new crystal (£130), but they wouldn't do it without a full service too. Sods! :lol: )

I've struggled to find accurate time (beeps on BBC digital radio are significantly out (by a few seconds) to 'real' time (if anyone wants to check the difference, have an analogue radio (correct time) running next to a digital (few seconds late)); so I find this useful: http://time.is/

I use an app from the Apple store called 'Emerald Time'. It's very clever because it takes an average from several Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers to give a more accurate time than you can get from an iPad/iPhone clock.

Don't know much about how they work, but the mechanical jobs are fascinating. The older russian Poljots are great and suprisingly accurate, complemented by an Omega Genevre and an antique Chronoswiss. A Traser won for everyday use and travelling though.

I use to like watches . never did seen the need too spend a silly amount of money on one.last one I bought was probaly 25 years ago.never bothered with anither since mobile phones had the time on them.had a a young family to keep which was my priority.if you wanna fancy watch have one if it floats your boat.

OK, here is my modest collection. It represents my personal likes, interests and budgetary constraints, so I fully accept that it won't be to everyone's taste. However if anyone wants to ask any questions, I'd be only too happy to go into full nerd mode!

image.jpg1_zpsipnmcd5o.jpg

Had a bi-colour Submariner for about 18 years, only watch I use unless going to locations that it would be inapropriate

Will get round to a dress watch one day, think the Frunk Muller (sp?) are nice.

The trouble is with high end priced watches there are very good copies and the likes of myself will not know the difference doh...

hey shuggy, there no excuse for you to be late with all the time

u got on your hands lol, regards swaro

Nice one! With expensive watches, the best thing is to buy only from reputable sources, or well known names on the reputable forums. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Forgot to say I use G shock for everyday "carry"

Same here. Use a GShock rangeman 9400. Ace piece of kit gives me atmospherics and altitude for my shooting too. Always a bonus...originally G Shock were first on sale in 1983, and apparently in April 1983.... Oh that right I was born on the 9th April 1983.... Hahaha weird.

Nice collection really I think you need a new G Shock in there also.

All the best

CZV

Hi ! I'm Marc the Founder of Toolwatch.io, thanks for mentioning us here ! Let me know if you have any question :)

Have a great weekend

How serendipitous that you're also a shooter. I do have one query, it's a shame you cannot add multiple time entries and do an average instead of having to start a new measure every time.

Ref servicing, william rice and swiss-serv are supposed to be very good. Annoyingly all Sea-Dweller and Daytona models must be serviced by Rolex UK, this has been confirmed by Bill Rice's lot as they're the only people who can correctly pressure test. Not sure what special treatment the Daytona's need but guess it's something to do with the complications that are onboard.

Thats something i have always wanted to know. How a watch is pressure tested.

I am familiar with presuure testing pipework, vessels, exchangers, tanks etc with both liquids or Air/gases. But how do you test a watch and if there is a failure what damage to the watch.

On the original thread I have a auto seamaster from 1997 worn everyday spent a few quid refurbishing and servicing two years back but worth every penny.

Bought a traser top end auto nice watch but rarely used. Sold my RW when I couldn't read the date without my glasses on.

Same here. Use a GShock rangeman 9400. Ace piece of kit gives me atmospherics and altitude for my shooting too. Always a bonus...originally G Shock were first on sale in 1983, and apparently in April 1983.... Oh that right I was born on the 9th April 1983.... Hahaha weird.

Nice collection really I think you need a new G Shock in there also.

All the best

CZV

Been looking for a 'work' watch for a while. This thread is about to cost me £150! Before I push the button, any negatives to consider with the G shock?

Cheers

JD

Archived