Best Reticle to use for target and varminting?

pengo

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a new scope to use on my .223 to use for target and varminting.

My dilemma is, which reticle would be best suited to both options and does it need to be illuminated?

And would 6.5-20x50 be a good range of magnification?

I know people who swear by a duplex/crosshair reticle and dial in their shots, but there are others who swear by mildot style reticles to be used with holdover.

Now I realise this can be a very subjective question, but surely there must be something that can be used.

Any experienced answers are welcome, as well as those that will no doubt make me even more confused!!!

Help..............

Cheers. Paul

It must be a personnel choice for different shooters, personally , i have a zeiss Z-plex / like a duplex ( only 8 week old ) and NF NP1-rr which in effect is a 30/30 duplex , i dial for each shot so hash marks lines dots etc arnt needed for me , i like a clear unobstructed view with the simple cross hair ! Think about it hard mate , to make sure you get what you need ! 6-20 , would be good , but would 8-32 be too much ? If you can , try to have a peek thru some different scope , Atb . Good luck .

night force np 2dd use it for everything ,has illumination but very rarely use it even when out with the lamp .decent glass and turrets

will cost about 1k though s/h

I like graduated reticles that match the turret clicks. That way if you spot the fall of shot is for example 0.5 mils low then you can measure with the reticle and dial 5 clicks of correction (0.1mil clicks). You can't do that with a duplex so easily or accurately

But if you have accurate drop chart and adjusted correctly , shot shouldnt ever be low should it ? Ok shooting up/down hill cosine effect takes part but impact always high .. Atb .

I have S&b pm11s on my rifles, both are mil/mil .I have the p4f reticle on my 308 in a 5-25*56 and love it,and a 3-12*50 in mildot on the 223. I shoot targets/rocks/steel/goats/deer everything lol with them .I prefer the p4f though .As far as illumination, it is handy when waiting in lowlight for a shot for example overlooking a dark woodline in failing light for deer.It can be hard pick out your reticle unless its illuminated.I often use it in a scenario like this,I never actually bother with it while lamping foxes as some do..

some through the scope pics from my rifles,(my photography skills are poor lol , so if the images are blurry its my fault not the scopes!)

5lxxjq.jpg

3585qo8.jpg

This pic is my 1000m target, red steel plate hanging between the trees

24mw10p.jpg

This was a 700m target(if I remember correctly)

s2f6oo.jpg

sika stag with only 1 antler

2ih5ukm.jpg

Hi,If you haven't already done so,read "Opticsthoughts:Riflescope Fundamentals"-it's fairly detailed,butnon technical-and informed/balanced-try section 2 "which work in different applications,"eg.

Lots of opinionsns on this-article will give you a much bettter basis for deciding what advice/choice is right for you.Most desireable features can be had in modest cost,mid range,and high end scopes thesedays.listen to advice,but remember it's often from a particular user's discipline-they differ quite a bit in what's best-and human eyes differ (a bit). A very well thought of mid scope is eg the SIghtronS111,with some reticule choice arond £750 new,but there is plent choice.A £2500 scope won't deal with wind any better,or make you a better shot,though they are a pleasure to use-IF the appropriate specs. You must though see your target in enough detail to place the shot where you want it,and have a reticule that allows that (not very thick).Plenty choice.Do NOT mix measures-mil/mil or moa/moa on ret/turrets-equally good-go mils if you think 'metric' moa if you are a yards man,maybe,But consistency. They are alternate measuring systems,like metres and feet. 5-25x variable,but 8x32 mag won't embarrass you either,may help.

gbal

But if you have accurate drop chart and adjusted correctly , shot shouldnt ever be low should it ? Ok shooting up/down hill cosine effect takes part but impact always high .. Atb .

Yes they can be if the atmospherics have changed.

Explain why we see so many 3 legged fallow then?!?

Your crap at long dog control on your ground........

night force np 2dd use it for everything ,has illumination but very rarely use it even when out with the lamp .decent glass and turrets

will cost about 1k though s/h

Plus one on that, I've got 2 the same and they do everything and do it well :)

Gaz

Aaah yes very true like lower altitude / denser air ;)

The dot of death (np 2dd)

For target work agreed, its just the job. For live stuff its fine in the dark and in the light, but I have had situations in half light where the dot has vanished illuminated or not. I rarely use the illumination even at night, no real need by and large.

For foxes I would prefer a fine illuminated duplex, hash marks are a bit of a waste as usually the first one is 2 moa which for most set ups is 300 yards or so.

A

Aaah yes very true like lower altitude / denser air ;)

Thats gotta be bad shooting , not zero cheak , as gbal says 300yards .29" difference , who shoots deer past that ? I wouldn't , not on deer anyway , although iv never shot deer - yet ! To miss a large fallow missing the heart lung area you would have to be inches low that gotta be down to the above or bad range estimation , stalkers that dont use a RF and shoot at scilly ranges need to wake up .

Gary, presumably one front leg injury?

If it's rear leg,that is just very bad shooting-toofar and angle very wrong.

IF front,as Gunner-taking a shot way too long-maybe exxagerated by the zeroed range-but too long anyhow.

243 80g 200 zero drop at 300 is over 7 inches...and I suspect most roe rifles are zeroed more at 100-150,so the drop will be considerably more ( or 7 inches before 300y). Leg suggests suggests reasonably steady heart hold,just way too far away....add in poorish light,which exacerbates bad ranging estimates... .shooter should get a kick up the 4th vertebra....allowing for drop,should hit the spot.

gbal

Gary, presumably one front leg injury?

If it's rear leg,that is just very bad shooting-toofar and angle very wrong.

IF front,as Gunner-taking a shot way too long-maybe exxagerated by the zeroed range-but too long anyhow.

243 80g 200 zero drop at 300 is over 7 inches...and I suspect most roe rifles are zeroed more at 100-150,so the drop will be considerably more ( or 7 inches before 300y). Leg suggests suggests reasonably steady heart hold,just way too far away....add in poorish light,which exacerbates bad ranging estimates... .shooter should get a kick up the 4th vertebra....allowing for drop,should hit the spot.

gbal

Your crap at long dog control on your ground........

I control the owners not the dags, saves on ammo. A few words in the right ears normally brings these situations under control.

What i cant stop is the muppet over the fence taking potshots at deer on his ground and them limping back over the boundary to their place of safety on my ground.

Whoever said 300 is too far on a deer has never managed downland fallow ( or owned one of your rifles!)

Gary, is not the issue that even with a great rifle,'muppets' will still pot shot way beyond their 'muppet' capabilities?They may be less likely to invest in such a rifle,but that's a 'maybe'.

g

Well there is some serious information being given here, thank you very much.

I have looked at a Leupold VX9 4-12x50 Firedot, but don't know if this is a high enough magnification.

I've also looked at a Meopta Meo-Pro 6-18x50, but not too sure about this one.

I have also seen (but not looked through) a Leupold 6.5-20x50 fine crosshair, but don't know if this is a similar reticle to the Zeiss scope I had, which was a tad too fine for my eyes, unfortunately.

Now there is mention of 8-32 scopes, but will this come down low enough for closer distances (75/80-100 yards-ish)?

It would seem that the general consensus is towards a 6-24 magnification, so what reicle may be best suited, duplex, mildot or.....???

I must admit to liking the LRMOA ret on my Sightron scopes, but the S-Tac 2.5-17x56 was unfortunately not high enough for targets and I think the 6-24x56 may be a tad heavy.

I seem to be getting there, with all your help, but the reticle is proving a tad elusive.

Cheers
Paul

Paul, 8 x is by no means too much for 100 yards- two examples:tone of the altime great dusk stalking roe scopes is the 8x56 S&B (great low light,and huge field of view isn't needed);secondly the !00y Bench Rest shooters use 36 fixed,if they have not moved up to 45x.(here of course field of view is irrelevant,and at 36x its small-target size.

But with an 8-32 variable tyou have it all.And if you like your Sightron S111 8-32 with LRMOA -get another one! Simples. There are also gains to have from the same scope on both-it's by no means essential,but it does rduce faffing around a bit,and mistakes in transfering between.

My varmint 224 scopes are 8-25 Leupold varmint reticules,work just fine-better than the same in mil dot,as the small hash marks are useable,obscure nothing,uncluttered.MIl dot versions are faster for larger targets,and great for fig 11s whee there is 36x18 to play with,so absolute precision in aim isn't needed.

In normal light,there isn't anything to complain about in those Leupolds,the NF range-12-42 for really long range-and the Sightron 111. But you know how good sightron are.Great spec scope at sensible price. New sightron/used NF/less used Leupold-I'll take any (£800) and chose on reticule. Very seldom will I ever feel outscoped for medium range varmint/target. It is partly subjective,but some features help-a few hash marks eg,calibrated for you by live firing.All the named have very good reliable turrets too-get them consistent with reticule if possible.Some can't shoot with high mag-I no longer like anything less than 8x-Iwant to see the target in detail,pickup any splash as best possible,and not admire 4 acres of Northumberland around the targe, I was shooting a 4x at 500 this week,possible of course on any target big enough to see,(4-6"?) but precision? If the 32 Sightron is too much,wind back to 24-you can't do it the other way!

For most users,the guide line that in mid price scopes,you now get 85% of the performance for 35% of the price seems ball bark seems persuasive. 6-24 Sightron if weight is critical-but you'll probably miss mag more than benefit from a few ounces. Choose well-overall,you got it right with your sightron,so...

gbal

Archived