Some of you may not have caught it, but last week we had to clip a thread relating to blank, that got a little bit out of hand.

But it set some of us wondering: Which is the best across-the-course blank?

Well, to hand we had some RG, some IMI and some DAG - all 5.56mm.

Initial results are here (100m, overcast, blustery fishtailing wind), IMI top left, RG centre, DAG bottom left:

targets_zpsuirwlals.png

We'd be very interested to learn what sort of results others are getting with blank.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DAG blanks are always temperamental , especially in the experimental chamber you're running, so as expected, they are the poorer sample.

The IMI and RG, well they are pretty level pegging.

Have you considered using some Black Hills blanks, they really set the standard,.

Another consideration would be the Israeli fare that Mossad use, these boys really know their stuff, really the pigs whistle of ammo.

Excellent test results.

How do they compare at longer range compared to 17 HMR blanks on deer?

The DAG blanks are always temperamental , especially in the experimental chamber your running, so as expected, they are the poorer sample.

The IMI and RG, well they are pretty level pegging.

Have you considered using some Black Hills blanks, they really set the standard,.

Another consideration would be the Israeli fare that Mossad use, these boys really know their stuff, really the pigs whistle of ammo.

Excellent teretts results.

Aaaagh! 1000 apologies, I posted the target upside down.

Corrected here:

targets_zpsuirwlals.png

Nothing field-conclusive yet. However, as a start point, ballistic gel gave us this:

17 HMR blank top. RG blank bottom.

I think you'd have to draw your own conclusions:

ballistic%20gel_zpsfyzgnjs9.png

The beauty of blanks is you can run a shorter throat

Very good point.

I use UTM silent blank in 5.56 and 9mm. Cuts down the noise considerably and the targets last forever. Of course no one knows where the shots are coming from but it's better than shouting 'bang'

How do they perform with wet moderators, by that I mean with a moderator totally immersed in a liquid. Sound attenuation may be better but given the viscosity of any fluid that is thicker than air the quoted BCs for blanks may not be valid in any of the reloading manuals so calculating drops and windage required may result in unexplained misses on targets across all ranges.

I use UTM silent blank in 5.56 and 9mm. Cuts down the noise considerably and the targets last forever.

I realise it will vary with target material, but what sort of target life are you getting with silent blank?

Matt,

Detail please?

What twist are you running?

I'm also having trouble seeing the shot count per group in the pictures - or is it my eyes! Less than 5 rounds does not prove anything!!

Re. target life, think Tiff's said the RG stuff can only be used at 300yards plus at his place?

MrCetrezine - try the new Vit SBD powder, I've found it does what it says on the tin !

T

ive just ordered 20 bartlein barrel blanks in various profiles im guessing i can use these a"as is " as they are already chambered in a blank calibre i think they come as standard they will be the straight walled "6mm pilot" although it could well be the improved version "6.5mm" time they get here

Been sent this by a pal who's spent a lot of time looking for the best 7.62 blank for stalking use - both in terms of accuracy and terminal ballistics.

He settled on RG.

He's sent me a pic of a buck taken shortly after a nice stalk and high heart shot at 75m with RG 7.62 blank:

roe_zpsrgwf57e7.png

In my 'top of the wallbars go' days a fireman turned up with his wife. He was moving about a bit carefully and when questioned said' I am firing blanks now. Just had a vasectomy' I enquiried of his wife about her perception of the firing blanks situation and was surprised by a reply of' oh it's ok I suppose but the spunk does not spurt out as much as it used to' never saw him again.

Hmmmm....sounds more like a prostectomy.

For most members of the Blank Club,with tie, weight may be slighty reduced but trajectory improves,as Quick Load predicts.Safe shooting is a bonus.