6.5x47 lapua factory load

@nd

I did see on another forum that the factory load is 36.3gn of n150, im not sure if that is true. Weight might be correct but who can tell what the powder is, it might not even be available to joe public.

+1 for Gary's points.

Lapua are not for telling. They developed ammo for 300m competition,and want to sell it! It's good.

You can use the published Lapua reloading data (Gary's ref) and Lapua's summary performance data for their loaded ammo (on line),and see if there is any match up- BUT that is at best,suggestive,and bear in mind differences in test rifles etc etc.Lapua may well use Vihtavuori components,but not neccessarily the powders available to 'us',as Gary says.

That's not to say it's difficult to assemble 1/2 moa 6.5x47 ammo,using Lapua components-if you rifle has the intrinsic potential.

gbal

Lapua sent me 20 rounds each of 5.6x47 loaded with the 108, 123, and 139gn bullet when the round was first introduced.

They were all quite 'softly' loaded and they all grouped (very well) with the same impact point at 300 yds.

But, most of us want a bit more out of this cartridge than 300 yds performance.

Thanks for the help.

I am still waiting on delivery of my rifle but wanted some base load to run it in with.

I have some N140 at home so i'll make up some rounds starting half way between min/max of Vitavuori's reloading data to run the barrel in then start some load development.

Thanks for the help.

I am still waiting on delivery of my rifle but wanted some base load to run it in with.

I have some N140 at home so i'll make up some rounds starting half way between min/max of Vitavuori's reloading data to run the barrel in then start some load development.

I use N140 with 123 Scenar getting 2744 with 35.3gn 26" barrel.

Thanks again,

Once it is run in what powders would you recommend for developing a load for 123/139gr bullets

I've just found a nice round for the 123 AMAX using RL15. I have not had the rounds produced to put it across the chrono yet, so fingers crossed it produces the figures.

http://6.5x47L%20123%20AMAX%2038.6.jpg

For longer distances, try RS52 with the 123 grain Scenar. I'm getting 3000fps with this from a 30" Walther barrel and very good results at 1000yds.

Start at 35 grains and work up. This powder is fast gaining a reputation for good velocities at moderate pressures.

H/man

I've got a Sporting Services Nimrod (aka the PSG Walküre AICS) in 6.5x47 Lapua and have found RS60 with the 123 gr Scenar quite good. Current loading for one hole groups at 100 yards is 39.5 gr. I'd have to check my data tables to tell you the COAL. As I don't have a chronograph, I'm not sure what the observed, or computed muzzle velocity is from the Lothar Walther 650 mm (25.6") match barrel. Probably going to get a LabRadar at some point, when I do, I'll let you know.

Nah, Magnetospeed every time !! I tried RS60, and found it needs 2-3 grains more than RS52 to achieve the same MV.

H/man

Hauptman, being from the (heavy) weapon (gun and missile) testing industry has given me a biased opinion of most commercial smallarms velocity measuring systems. None would be accepted for use in the testing field due to thier single-channel nature and inabilty to correct for geometic errors. (Plus they'd be blown to bits by the gun blast.) At best the magneto thingy might be used as a single channel velocity measuring device (as seen on some AA and IFV gun systems), but only if firmly attached and filmly fixed. This so it could not flex, or be deflected by the gas flow from the compressed air infront of the projectile as it move up the bore, or any escaping propellant gases which leak past the projectile. I have used such devices, when rigidly fixed, as a trigger for other systems, but strain gauges are a better option. The best commercial device available to actually caculate the MV, downrange velocities and BC would be the LabRadar.

BlueBoy69, I completely agree............for super accurate downrange measurements, the Magnetospeed, or any of the "consumer" chronies, are about as much use as a nine-bob note........................but for load development by precision plinkers, (spelt with an "i"), the Magnetospeed is more than adequate, and I don't have to wait until the hooter goes to retrieve it.

H/man

Hauptman, look what Barnnes have been buying.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/07/barnes-calculates-ballistics-using-doppler-radar-speed-data/

Not sure if my comment went up, the gist of it is below.

That's more like it. Proper ballistic instrumentation ;)

Two Infinition Doppler radars by the look of it. One 10.525 GHz (X-band) BR-29015 and one 35.5 GHz (Ka-band) BR-3503. The former for long-range work, the latter for in-bore (yes measurements of the velocity within the barrel) and smaller projectiles. I've used both types (but not make) many, many times. Wonder if they have the spin analysis software? You can get the projectiles spin rate from the Doppler signal too if the projectile is modified suitably, or just wobbles. I managed to get the spin off a unmodified 5 mm (.20) airgun pellet, well slug, quite often.

http://www.infinition.com/site/index.php/us/products-us/10-ghz-en-us/br-29015-en-us

http://www.infinition.com/site/index.php/us/products-us/35-ghz-en-us/br-3503-en-us

Archived