Homemade Solar Water Heater - Pipework?

brown dog

I want to put together a couple of solar water heaters, along the lines a of a cabinet that looks broadly like this (but smarter!):

soda-can-heater-1_zpsb80xuet9.jpg

I have two panels of triple glazed glass each approx 1.2 x 1.5m (so, quite large!) left over from work done recently.

I'm thinking of making the cabinet back with marine-ply, the edges with treated wood, and then lining the back and sides of the cabinet with celotex,

but, I'm a bit stuck on the pipework - 30mm/40mm/50mm pvc tube with t-junctions? Flexi 30/40/50 tube? Lots of cheap hosepipe?

Grateful for any ideas!

Matt,

How about a central heating radiator painted matt black?

T

Ive seen that done in warmer climes and it works , black plastic water pipe also works , I`m not sure why the OP wants to use triple glazed glass , surely this will stop heat getting through? , or will it magnify the UV? , the factory made units Ive seen use single glaze glass, keep us informed.

PS I would be concerned about the plywood cabinet combusting , these things get very hot.

Matt,

How about a central heating radiator painted matt black?

T

I think - but am not sure - that flow inside a domestic radiator is convection led - ie water is not forced to travel up/down every channel.

, I`m not sure why the OP wants to use triple glazed glass , surely this will stop heat getting through?

The device uses the sun's radiant heat - which will pass through the glass (which is why you get hot sitting in sunlight next to a window).

Why triple glazed (or double)? 2 reasons: 1. This ain't the caribbean, I need to retain every bit of heat energy possible (and is why I plan to insulate the back and sides of the cabinet too) and 2. I have some :)

My neighbour uses black PVC tubing (approx. 30mm) simply mounted on a square rear board painted black. Its rolled out in a coil shape like a snail with glazing on the front in a frame. Heat transfer via copper tube through convection and gravity that seems to prevent his giant goldfish pond from freezing over in winter. Can send a piccy next week.

Anyone ever thought about running coiled pipe through a Muck/compost heap? it gets quite hot inside.

Adrian

Yes, a lot of waste energy there - This was a traditional way of heating glass houses/Orangery in Georgian/Victorian times in grand housed. The vast compost heap placed up against the outside "hot" wall to heat the inside of the glass house.

Double/triple glazing is good, short wave UV light passes through easily but the longer wave radiated heat can't pass out so easily.

Here's a solar sun tracker I made a while ago. The dish was just an experiment to test the tracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2GX1OXu4w

I have two panels of triple glazed glass each approx 1.2 x 1.5m (so, quite large!) left over from work done recently.

I'm thinking of making the cabinet back with marine-ply, the edges with treated wood, and then lining the back and sides of the cabinet with celotex,

but, I'm a bit stuck on the pipework - 30mm/40mm/50mm pvc tube with t-junctions? Flexi 30/40/50 tube? Lots of cheap hosepipe?

Grateful for any ideas!

Just remember that the water can get very hot so the pipes need

to be capable of withstanding heat, the type that connect radiators

and hot water should do. The fittings to the collector need to be copper.

Also allow for the expansion due to increase of heat.

It has been known for solar collectors to boil water................

ozone

Anyone ever thought about running coiled pipe through a Muck/compost heap? it gets quite hot inside.

Adrian

Don't use copper pipe though as it will suffer from 'season cracking' by reacting with ammonia in the compost. Silicone tubing would work best.

I want to put together a couple of solar water heaters, along the lines a of a cabinet that looks broadly like this (but smarter!):

Grateful for any ideas!

What will you be using it for Matt? Love the idea of it, so simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived