Decoying Corvids - The Sniper's Nest

Elliott

Not clear at first,but camera shot is downhill,rifle shot uphill-'commentary' alludes,but was the shot taken from the middle grey building second storey window opening? Seems OK.

that looks like great fun,

nice layout

and yes I was thinking the same about the backdrop until you see they are in teh barn shooting into the hill

looks perfect

more vids of magpies getting duvet'd please!

Elevated position shooting down into a huge rising field and the decoy was placed in the middle. Wouldn't have planned the shot and certainly wouldn't have recorded it and shared it if it wasn't :mellow: C'mon lads, give me some credit!

Here's a view from three quarters of the way up the field - note the position of the farm below!

Topofwall_zpseae65138.jpg

JESUS i jumped when u shot in the barn , followed by laughter once magguss pie-uss downeth ! Ace stuff , magpies my favourite quarry . Thanks verry much - all credit here elliot ;)

Its surprising how loud things get with a suppressed rifle in an enclosed space. In a tunnel range ear defenders are obligatory even using an air rifle is unpleasant without.

Was the video camera at the target end controlled by a remote on/off Elliot?

JESUS i jumped when u shot in the barn , followed by laughter once magguss pie-uss downeth ! Ace stuff , magpies my favourite quarry . Thanks verry much - all credit here elliot ;)

Cheers, yes it was quite loud. Should have stuck it out a bit longer, half a dozen crows came over to mob the decoy as I went to collect it! Will give it another go again soon

Cheers, yes it was quite loud. Should have stuck it out a bit longer, half a dozen crows came over to mob the decoy as I went to collect it! Will give it another go again soon

Its surprising how loud things get with a suppressed rifle in an enclosed space. In a tunnel range ear defenders are obligatory even using an air rifle is unpleasant without.Was the video camera at the target end controlled by a remote on/off Elliot?

Camera set back from the decoy on a monopod, with enough memory for 45mins recording time. From experience I didn't think it would take long

Im a bit confused on this, if you were shooting "down" why is your rifle pointing up when you take the shot???Ian.

Ian, I'm shooting from the loft of a hay barn into a huge rising field. I'm not going to get caught up on the nitty gritty, it couldn't be a safer shot

I dont think anyone bar the magpie were hert ? It looked good to me plenty of extra yardage behind ! As in the big hill .

Ian, I'm shooting from the loft of a hay barn into a huge rising field. I'm not going to get caught up on the nitty gritty, it couldn't be a safer shot

Elliot,would it not be all clear if you just said shooting UP (hill) from the loft window In your interesting video,the rifle barrel is clearly inclined UP,aiming at a higher elevation than the rifle position-presumably at the magpie,further up the rising hillside-ie away from any seen buildings,and what probably was a safe shot-we can't really tell(since there is no camera shot from rifle position to magpie)but no problem accepting it was IF it was an uphill shot.

Downhill from any position around the decoy is NOT a safe shot -the 'grit' is you keep insisting on 'downhill'.Simples...'uphill' OK,'downhill' not OK-as far as can be judged from your video.

(we've had some rather heated discussions on here about "safe shots'/"backstops' etc that were/were not-no one is picking on you-just be clear.

And you did invite constructive comments.

Perfection tends to be slightly uphill,even for the best filmakers. :-)

gbal

Elliot, i am not doubting your shot safety, you say you are shooting down hill when your rifle is clearly pointing at an upward angle when you send the shot.Ian.

Imagine he is shooting the wrong way round from that image he sent! Is it that much of a challenge?

Archived