Aga Oven (Kerosene)

Having lived with the same oven for more than 40years, I've come to learn a thing or two about it.

In previous threads the issue of power cuts have been brought to the fore, and the jolly old Aga is not immune to this hazard.

So.... Here are a couple of expedients to keep the old kerosene kettle running.

1.There are two settings on the oil controls. Thermostat and High Fire. The High Fire is normally used when/if you know a power cut's coming (You're stuffed if you miss it as the oven normally cokes up and needs an immediate service once power has been reconnected).

I've found that by running on the High Fire setting constantly, you will never have to worry about such things and the heat is more constant. I have also seen a reduction in fuel use (Themostat's not reading every temp' drop and boosting the oil supply excessively) and an extended time between the need to service the oven.

2. Always change the wicks when servicing. Some engineers say you can run wicks for years....Nope, bad idea!! Again they only add to carbon build up in the burner tray.

3. An oil setting of about 4cc/minute will run a three door unit happily.

4. Get as big a tank as possible.... With fuel prices at their lowest for nearly ten years it pays to buy in bulk.

Ratwhiskers, how do you think the running of an Aga compares to electricity or gas? I assume that it is more expensive, although of course will reap dividens in the event of a power cut?

I would be interested on any views and figures as well, we are about to move to a new place without a heating system or mains gas and after 16 years without one I am very tempted to run an Aga again and oil could well be the way forward.

There was an 4 oven oil AGA already in the house we now live in, it is about 30 years old now.

Averaging the last 2 years we used just over 5600 litres - but this is cooking and hot (very hot) water.

Cannot comment on heating as well but the radiated heat certainly helps keep the whole house warm

Would not be without one now, service twice a year, roasts etc. cannot be beaten, no/little ironing alone is a bonus! :)

Terry

There was an 4 oven oil AGA already in the house we now live in, it is about 30 years old now.

Averaging the last 2 years we used just over 5600 litres - but this is cooking and hot (very hot) water.

Cannot comment on heating as well but the radiated heat certainly helps keep the whole house warm

Would not be without one now, service twice a year, roasts etc. cannot be beaten, no/little ironing alone is a bonus! :)

Terry

I have one and it's nice, but does use a lot of oil. I wouldn't recommend due to that - the cost significantly outweighs the usefulness for me. :(

Dunc,

True, if you just look at strsaight numbers then an oil fired AGA does not stack up against a later electric versions or 'straight' cookers, but there is something about them, (and think about it, if we applied the same principles of being sensible to everything no one would ride a Harley or buy a 308 :) )

But this was in our house when we bought it and we are used to the bonuses plus great cooking.

As this post is related to basic sufficency then the AGA wins out on all fronts, we do not let our tank get below 400l = months++ operation on low.

DL

Concur re. using boiler juice or similar as a litmus, we have a regular supplier who is instructed to call with price/lite

re before delivering, we check boiler juice and present their figure to our supplier who matches it or normally gets within 1p/litre when challenged.

Hi Guy's,

Sorry for late reply, I've been busy with a sick Ratwife and too many jobs that just don't seem to get any less....

The oven in question is now in it's third house, so you might say I've got a little sentimental about the rusty old coke box.

It was built around 1974 and is fitted with a Saddle Boiler. This enable me to heat a huge water tank with ease, and should it be needed at least two radiators (not needed in this case)

As there's only the Ratwife and I banging about around the house I don't run it to it's full potential, but more than enough to do all that we need without loss of heat if I go nuts with the bread dough.

I manage to save money by buying bulk loads of Kero' at 2000ltr a time. I had thought of converting to diesel, but it can leave a taint from the fumes.

My Spluther in Law is an Aga service engineer, who has just bought a new electric unit.... Ha!!! they have their faults also (distribution fan over run's and stat' setting prob's) and they're not cheap.

The Math's easy.. just .35/4cc-min by how long between refills. As I said, by running it at a constant make it just that bit more reliable. I also have a local supplier that has very good prices on fuel.

Ratty.

Archived