Rocket Stoves

brown dog

Intrigued by the rocket stove concept. Anyone using one or played with making one?

Below is the New Horizon Rocket stove - looks the part, but a bit of a gasp at £90:

rocket%20stove_zpspdswh2ql.png

Make your own for nowt https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=make+your+own+rocket+stove&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=SE5SVaHfM4ryUvaKgYgK

• 3 weeks later...

Twice the price of a kelly (aka volcano) kettle. Will check the site to see how this new jobby works.

Unless memory is failing again, it also used as terminology for a new sort of house heater, using wood, which you build yourself ("rocket mass heater" so not quite the same after I checked), so I was a bit surprised when I saw your photo of a very small portable thing, rather than an inbuilt 20 foot long monster!

Apparently not - they burn very little wood and recombust the gases. Google rocket stove on the web and read it up - I 've got no personal experience to back it up.

I made an experimental stove from SMA milk cans, more a "wood gasifying stove" than a rocket type, though I'm not quite sure of the distinction, when I read about rocket stoves I thought they just looked like an oversize chimney that draws a lot of air and needs constant refuelling with unnecessarily small bits of wood. Anyway, the wood gasifier, worked really well, you get some smoke initially as it warms up, then there is a definite "ignition" point and it burns without visible smoke. I built one the size of a normal camping stove and it boiled a mess tin of water in a couple of minutes easily, on very little wood.

The gasifier basically mixes hot fresh air, which has bypassed the fire, with the smoke to get a secondary burn, whereas the rocket stove just pushes an excess of air through the fire so there is oxygen left to burn the smoke. I think the gasifier design has more potential for throttling, as you can reduce the flow of air to the primary burn, reducing the rate of gas production, while still burning all the gas. this is in principle, the one I built was not throttleable.

Archived