Reload Swiss RS62 Where to buy???

farmer7

I'm quite keen to try some RS62. Does anyone know of any suppliers up in the north of Scotland or anyone that is willing to ship it from anywhere in the UK, I know its expensive to ship powders but I'm keen to try it out.

Just as an aside, and I know its not something we suffer from too much in the UK, but does anyone know how temperature stable the Reload Swiss powders are?

Has anyone used RS62, specifically in .260, if so how did they find it? Looking at Quickload it shows pretty decent velocities without going to a double-based powder.

Here's the link on suppliers on the propellants.co.uk website, the one set up for RS powders.

http://www.propellants.co.uk/where-to-buy.html

Aberdeenshire seems closest to you.

The high-energy powders are likely a bit temperature affected because of their nitroglycerine content - that's RS40, 52, 60, 70 and 80. RS62 is single-base and therefore should be very temperature stable.

FWIW, I was a bit worried about this with a warm RS52 308 load I had last summer for the Scottish L-R Matches at Blair Atholl. (Yes, it can get warm at Blair for thae dooters amongst yea!) I left a box sitting on the front seat of the car on Diggle ranges in full sun on a hot day (Yeah, it even gets hot at Diggle occasionally too!) for three hours until the box and its contents were warm to the touch. I then shot some to see if any nasties occurred, and they didn't so went off a lot more relaxed the next week. That doesn't prove anything as I didn't do a before and after chronograph, but did show that pressures weren't going to go through the roof on a hot day.

I just loaded up 25 intial RS62 loads in 260 earlier today with the 139gn Scenar to try on Thursday. It should perform well in the cartridge.

• 2 months later...

There is NO 'Elcho' equivalent to RS62.

RS50 (single-base) = TR140

RS60 (high-energy / infused nitrolglycerine / RS EI deterrent process) = Alliant Re17 = Elcho 17

RS62 (long-grained, single-base) was developed originally for use in .270 Winchester and is a nice basic powder for use in 270, .280 Rem, 7X64, .30-06, mid size 6.5s ('47 Lapua, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor), and mid sized sevens (7mm-08, 7X57) and suchlike.

That doesn't surprise me Mark. So far, I've not found an application that suits the difficult-to-get-hold-of Hodgdon VarGet where RS52 doesn't do equally well, sometimes better - a very useful number.

RS rifle powder prices are close to Viht's, marginally cheaper (like Viht sold in kilo tubs). Sadly, the former imported in bulk and bottled here 'cheapo' versions are gone unless you are lucky enough to find an unsold one somewhere.

RS52 or RS62? :unsure:

I hope you meant 62. RS52 would work but it's a bit too fast burning unless you're loading light varmint bullets, and it will run as hot as RS60 / E17. RS62 has a similar burning rate to E17 but runs cooler being single-base. It should be suited to the 6X47 Lapua with mid weight to heavy bullets. If you're looking for full cases and high MVs for 105s also consider RS70, 'high-energy' again, but slower burning (similar to Re22).

• 2 years later...

I just loaded up 25 intial RS62 loads in 260 earlier today with the 139gn Scenar to try on Thursday. It should perform well in the cartridge.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there are two reasons I have done so.

1). I greatly respect Laurie's knowledge.

2). he mentioned using the exact powder/bullet I am interested in.

I have been told it's well worth trying RS62 in my Accuracy International which has both a 7.62 and also a .260 Rem Barrel.

For my 7.62 barrel, I usually shoot HBC 155gr bullets

For my .260 Rem, I use Lapua Scenar 139gr bullets

I have been trying to find load data for these using RS62 but have thus far been unsuccessful. Then I found this old thread And as I greatly respect and trust Laurie's expert opinion I was really interested in his results and would ask if he could point me in the direction of a safe RS62 load to start working with.

All the best

Bob

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there are two reasons I have done so.

1). I greatly respect Laurie's knowledge.

2). he mentioned using the exact powder/bullet I am interested in.

I have been told it's well worth trying RS62 in my Accuracy International which has both a 7.62 and also a .260 Rem Barrel.

For my 7.62 barrel, I usually shoot HBC 155gr bullets

For my .260 Rem, I use Lapua Scenar 139gr bullets

I have been trying to find load data for these using RS62 but have thus far been unsuccessful. Then I found this old thread And as I greatly respect and trust Laurie's expert opinion I was really interested in his results and would ask if he could point me in the direction of a safe RS62 load to start working with.

All the best

Bob

If it's any help, i have just started using 139gr Scenars in my 260. I started with 39 grains of RS62 and have worked up to 40.2 at 2650 fps through the chrono with no pressure signs. I will probably not go for a charge far beyond 41gr as i believe the any gains would be minimal and i'm pretty much in the node anyway.

Of course, results with your rifle may be different.

I ran into pressure problems in 260 with the 139 / RS62 at lower levels (c. 43gn) than expected. ......... but my 260's barrel is pretty well shot out and pressures often rise dramatically in this situation due to rapid copper build-ups, so it may or not be a pointer. In any event, the rifle has been temporarily retired until a rebarrel in 260AI takes place later this year.

If I read Post #16 right, you're thinking of using RS62 in both 260 and 308 Bob? I've not seen any mention anywhere of using it in 308 and on the face of it, the powder is too slow burning for this cartridge with 155gn weight bullets. RS50/52 are a much better match. Running RS62 through QuickLOAD with a 155 predicts pressures under 40,000 psi and by RS62 standards a poor charge burn ratio barely above 90% in a 26-inch barrel. That's with a load that is heavily compressed too. It might behave OK, but being below a normal working pressure might produce rather erratic results.

Having started to play with 308/RS62 in QuickLOAD, I though I'd see how it looks with heavier bullets, 185gn and upwards in a long frreebore 30-inch FTR style rifle set-up. It may just be a possible alternative to Viht N150/550 there playing around modelling the 185gn Berger Juggernaut and 200gn Hybrid. The charge burn rises to 99% and PMax to the high 50,000s psi (predicted) with velocities approaching the required levels. It would still appear to involve compressed loads even with optimal (long) COALs for the rounds though.

As always, QL is only a model, not real life, but I may try RS62 in my 308 FTR rifle later this year with the 185 Juggernaut and 190gn VLDs to see how it works out in practice. Viht N150 is a very good propellant in this application with no real need for change, but options are always worth having a look at.

Many thanks for your replies gentlemen, they are very much appreciated.

Laurie, thanks for the heads-up on using RS62 in a .308. I'll give that idea a miss then :-)

I might try the RS62 in my .260 Rem, I'll have to think about that. From what you and Extrema have said, it's probably not the best suited to the task.

I have been using Viht N150 & N540 for my .308 and N160 for my .260, perhaps I should stay with those.

Cheers guys and many thanks

Bob

I might try the RS62 in my .260 Rem, I'll have to think about that. From what you and Extrema have said, it's probably not the best suited to the task.

On the contrary, i consider the 139gr Scenar / RS62 combination rather a good one. I works well for me so far at any rate.

Bare in mind that Laurie stated his pressure signs were probably due to a shot out barrel / copper fouling.

RS62 worked VERY well for me in the slightly smaller case capacity 6.5 Creedmoor with the 140gn Nosler HPBT Custom Competition. With the 260 having slightly greater capacity than the Creedmoor, that should actually make the powder even better suited to it. I should have said that I saw early pressure onset problems with other combinations too that I know are fine in the 260, so it seems that something isn't right with the rifle.

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2017 at 11:00 AM, Laurie said:

I ran into pressure problems in 260 with the 139 / RS62 at lower levels (c. 43gn) than expected. ......... but my 260's barrel is pretty well shot out and pressures often rise dramatically in this situation due to rapid copper build-ups, so it may or not be a pointer. In any event, the rifle has been temporarily retired until a rebarrel in 260AI takes place later this year.

If I read Post #16 right, you're thinking of using RS62 in both 260 and 308 Bob? I've not seen any mention anywhere of using it in 308 and on the face of it, the powder is too slow burning for this cartridge with 155gn weight bullets. RS50/52 are a much better match. Running RS62 through QuickLOAD with a 155 predicts pressures under 40,000 psi and by RS62 standards a poor charge burn ratio barely above 90% in a 26-inch barrel. That's with a load that is heavily compressed too. It might behave OK, but being below a normal working pressure might produce rather erratic results.

Having started to play with 308/RS62 in QuickLOAD, I though I'd see how it looks with heavier bullets, 185gn and upwards in a long frreebore 30-inch FTR style rifle set-up. It may just be a possible alternative to Viht N150/550 there playing around modelling the 185gn Berger Juggernaut and 200gn Hybrid. The charge burn rises to 99% and PMax to the high 50,000s psi (predicted) with velocities approaching the required levels. It would still appear to involve compressed loads even with optimal (long) COALs for the rounds though.

As always, QL is only a model, not real life, but I may try RS62 in my 308 FTR rifle later this year with the 185 Juggernaut and 190gn VLDs to see how it works out in practice. Viht N150 is a very good propellant in this application with no real need for change, but options are always worth having a look at.

Hi resurrecting this thread, I picked up some RS62 At the weekend mainly to have a play in My .260 but wondered if Laurie did get to trialling the .308 heavier bullets ??? I've just picked up a custom 26inch 1/10 twist and have some 180 and 200 smks.

Cheers Alan