.222 v .22-250 Accuracy

Guest Stacka

5-600 ft lbs,it seems-though, that may well be more than enough,now and then...

Norma Soft Points used to be a top vulpicide choice. +2/0/-4 540 ft lb at 200 zero (short barrels).

Of course that was way back,in the days when BC and BT hadn't been invented,and many scopes didn't have turrets....and didn't need them.

they die quick enough from WMR rounds sub 100yds with Terminal Energy of sub 200ftlbs

must be wearing kevlar these ones

they die quick enough from WMR rounds sub 100yds with Terminal Energy of sub 200ftlbs

must be wearing kevlar these ones

errr...this foot poundage is what you're "chucking out of your 222 60g @3000."...as in your your previous post....and I was simply saying that your load is pretty much what used to be the standard....and stated explicitly,it might be more than minimum.

On rereading,I can see that what you meant was your load knocks down roe deer (meaning it is there fore too much for fox,whereas I took it to mean also for fox)...agreed-the Norma factory 222 loading was also used for roe to good effect.

Having used 222 thus,and WMR too,I'd err on the extra power of the 222, to give a large margin of clout,but the WMR can kill foxes-in the borderland south of Edinburgh too,so no Kevlar mutants that I can recall-they went down to the Resident Vulpicide's 222 rem and Norma SPs,and so did roe. The 222 rem was widely used for both species.The WMR was a relative rarity,but that reflects the general purpose superiority of the 222 (or 22/250) for one rifle estate management.I'd rate it about/tad above the 17 rfs,simply on 'more delivered impact energy'.

Sorry about the mis-reading-though I do think rim fire's for fox is a slippery slope,at much distance-the 22 rf LR is a no no,despite what it can sometimes do close in. On the other hand,I never like excessive power being unleashed in the dark either,for a species that is very vulnerable to a good vital hit of 250 ft lb or so.

But not every shooter had a golf bag battery of rifles! 222 did it all very well.Still does.No fuss with rifling twist,colour of Btips,to Ackley or not....just performs very well in it's envelope.

atb

g

• 1 month later...

I've been shooting rabbits with my 222 from between 160 and 195 metres all day, ( whatever that is in yards) hornady 40 grain BT factory ammo. My one loves em, haven't even bothered to work a load up for it yet, got 500 rounds of the same batch, sub half inch at a hundred.

Never tried it over this distance, windage is a concern over 150 I've found, overall cracking round

ATB

Yep,back in the day-and still-the 222 was a great 200y rabbit round (250 even,though then some windage came in a bit).

The 17Rem was even more terminal,within similar ranges. A tad less precise but shoulder shots were 100% reliable( and I mean 100%,not 'mostly' or 19/20 ,and a tenth of an inch didn't matter,given the hydrostatic effect.

Still would be-why use an inferior cartridge ( unless noise is a serious issue-moderate!) ?

gbal

I've been shooting rabbits with my 222 from between 160 and 195 metres all day, ( whatever that is in yards) hornady 40 grain BT factory ammo. My one loves em, haven't even bothered to work a load up for it yet, got 500 rounds of the same batch, sub half inch at a hundred.

Never tried it over this distance, windage is a concern over 150 I've found, overall cracking round

ATB

A 222 will shoot far better than that trust me ;)

But if it's doing the job for you great :)

Gaz

A 222 will shoot far better than that trust me ;)

But if it's doing the job for you great :)

Gaz

Yeh +1 Gaz, a friend if mine shoots his .222 out to 350 yards most times we are out, his PB being a 440 yaRd rabbit. 300 yard rabbits are not much problem with the 50/52 Vmax/Amax.

Steve

Yes,guys- but PB means Personal Best-ie it's a one off,or record for you-it is not typically what is done day in day out,though you might equal/get close sometimes.

I was talking 100% -and the 222 will not deliver that at 400yards-actually not much will.

No beef with extended shots attempted by skilled shooters,but there is a couple of hundred yards or so between the 100% range and the 75% range.....if you do the maths-better yet accept Brian Litz' analysis-the 100% hit zone on a target at least rabbit size (I think without checking,4 inches with a 1/2 moa 6mm is 248 yards...100% is a tough criterion.And yes,i shoot 222 and 243,and yes might have PBs a bit longer.....but every shot?

Heck Steve,if I wanted that sort of performance I'd ask you to use a 22rf subsonic.... :-)

PB means "I did it once,at least" and 'mostly I don't quite")

g

Yeh that's why I said a Pb of 440 yards, keeping tje PB out of it he shoots consistently well out to 300-350 with a very high percentage off hits on rabbits.

Last week,a shooter in Utah set a PB-maybe a WR- for long range iron sights:

4 hits on a 3ft high bison steel target, 2240 yards away.

K31 7.5 Swiss if you feel lucky ( hint: try 210 moa elevation,or 414 feet high if your scope is limited.)

Let's add that three hits were very marginal front lower leg....

And he had 60 plus spotted sighters beforehand........

NOT Sharpes shooting,really.

gbal

Last week,a shooter in Utah set a PB-maybe a WR- for long range iron sights:

4 hits on a 3ft high bison steel target, 2240 yards away.

K31 7.5 Swiss if you feel lucky ( hint: try 210 moa elevation,or 414 feet high if your scope is limited.)

Let's add that three hits were very marginal front lower leg....

And he had 60 plus spotted sighters beforehand........

NOT Sharpes shooting,really.

gbal

Exactly, not sharp shooting when you need to walk in 60 plus shots to hit the target , but like I said, my mate shooting rabbits out 300- 350 yards with his little .222 is no problem, and 1st shot hits are very very high when dialed in. ;)

Comparing apples and oranges. The .222 was a competition BR cartridge designed for 200 yards and the 22-250 has always been a hi speed varmint round. Even with guns of equal build, at 100 yards I'd put my wager on a .222 for pure accuracy. JMHO.~Andrew

Archived