Flour, Rice, Mylar & Vacuum Sealers - an idea?

brown dog

Been thinking and googling around storing sufficient calories; the answer to me is white rice and white flour.

(eg, 1kg dry white rice will yield 3,500kcal; 1kg white flour = 3640kcal)

The web is full of people tipping the products into mylar bags, adding O2 absorbers etc and all looks rather unnecessarily 'hassly'.

My idea,:

Bung an unopened 1.5kg bag of flour (or rice) into a vacuum sealing bag, bung in an 02 absorber, vacuum seal. Job done: 10 year shelf life.

Thoughts?

(Any pointers to decent vacuum sealers that'll take bags that are big enough?)

FoodSaver® FSFSSL3840 - http://www.foodsaver.co.uk/product.aspx?pid=14006

Superb machine, used to repack and vacuum seal my ice when it was nearing expiration. Nice thick bags, does a great job

Thanks, that looks to be the one!

Were you doing the same sort of thing as I've outlined? Bothering with 02 absorbers as well?

Did not bother with o2 absorber, but a friend of mine into food storage advised I should have... (starting to rethink my strategy going forward, have quite a few more to seal, so might look at the o2 absorbers)

the vaccum sealer is really good, I mean really, really good. The bags that food saver sell are thick bags, I just checked my stock this past week I sealed about 6 months ago and the bags are still fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/vwzob7zcsv9zhzq/IMG_2776.JPG

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zbtxhbf9uz6dc9g/IMG_2777.JPG

• 3 months later...

Had a quick 'first go' with my foodsaver, which arrived today (my O2 absorbers arrived a while back- individually sealed sachets from amazon).

First up were 3 separate normal bags of white flour - bunged them in unopened on the premise that the air would still get sucked out of them - and also bunged in an 02 absorber with each.

Biffed the first one slightly - finger trouble getting the seal right.

The second two vacuumed down to hard bricks of flour. Quite confidence inspiring!

Guest Stacka

I used to seal my own ration packs up. My wife would cook them on the weekend. And then when I returned for a week in the field at a well know school in Brecon I had a yummy well cook meal much to the jealousy of my comrades

Had a quick 'first go' with my foodsaver, which arrived today (my O2 absorbers arrived a while back- individually sealed sachets from amazon).

First up were 3 separate normal bags of white flour - bunged them in unopened on the premise that the air would still get sucked out of them - and also bunged in an 02 absorber with each.

Biffed the first one slightly - finger trouble getting the seal right.

The second two vacuumed down to hard bricks of flour. Quite confidence inspiring!

Rock solid. You can see the O2 absorber in the left bag.

72da0da5-d01a-43d1-a996-d1ce52f9b586_zps

Once you've used a decent vacuum sealer, you'd never be without one. Bit like a remote garage door opener.

All my game meat and fish gets the treatment. Fish that's pretty much b*ggered after three months in a std plastic bag can be like new after six months under vacuum. We ate some groper the other night I caught in December and it was mint.

Chris, 'mint'-that would be a vegetarians dream.....but it would also go well with lamb, likewise stored,in a sauce.

You could try some lead,and see if it turns to gold,or better yet,some modest powder and see if turns to Varget,which is still out of season over here. :-)

bon appetit

gbal

• 3 weeks later...

Brown Dog - where did you get your O2 absorbers from? Which ones did you buy?

Also to other members, I have one of the Foods Savers as does Brown dog, I can vouch for it. I was in Costco today in Reading and they have them at £99.99 + VAT which comes in at around £119.98. This is a really good price considering mine cost me around £150. They also had the 2 pack vaccum rolls there for 9.99 + VAT

• 3 weeks later...

Matt,

question - what are you going to make with the flour?

I'm sitting here thinknig you've found tinned margarine - yes?

T

Bread. Food oils work as a butter substitute for bread making. Vegetable oil is cheap and stores for a couple of years. Coconut oil stores for about 7 years, but doesn't 'dual role' as well for general cooking as it has a low smoke temperature. A 500ml jar of coconut oil is enough for 10 loaves.

Matt,

Longer discussion needed next time we meet.

'we' as in my good lady who's the cook, can see a problem in the physical side of baking bread, even with an oil fired AGA, the strong flour required for bread has less uses.

Agree flour has high cal content and can be stored but feel 'scones' are simpler food to make?

Working on a revised schedule of stored food basics & menus.

T

Matt,

Longer discussion needed next time we meet.

'we' as in my good lady who's the cook, can see a problem in the physical side of baking bread, even with an oil fired AGA, the strong flour required for bread has less uses.

Agree flour has high cal content and can be stored but feel 'scones' are simpler food to make?

Working on a revised schedule of stored food basics & menus.

T

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons (1 package) yeast

1 cup lukewarm water

2 1/2 cups (11 1/4 oz) all purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

(tesco even have tinned yeast)

Full detail here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/bread-baking-the-simplest-white-bread-recipe-ever.html

You can get tinned butter from Germany (conserva.de)

As to bread, just make bannock instead. Quick and easy.

I make up ziplock bags before I go out, just add water and mix to a dough

OK,Understand the receipt - how do 'you' bake it?

My 'plans' were around no electricity which in our oil fired AGA gives reduced heat so 'scones' are simpler.

T

Archived