Berger bullets 155/185

ANDY T

Hi

I am about to get my FTR rifle in the next few weeks and was looking for advice on what bullet weight to go for. Can anyone shooting FTR let me know what is been used and at what distances.

I will be getting a batch of 200 x 30 cal Berger 155.5 gr Match BT FB 300 x 30 Cal Lapua 155 gr Scenars

But I thinking the trend may be to go for a heavier bullet a berger 184g for 800/1000. Barrel will be 30"

What do you think.

Andy

Hi Andy the trend is up and down between 155 and 185 I use 155 Sierra 2156 work well for me in my Rifle at all ranges and I like the price half the price of Bergers but don't let that put you off good luck in your choice its sods law really what ever your rifle likes.

If you are just going to shoot club matches, the 155gn will do all you want.

If you are going to shoot with the GBFCA League then it's a different story. The GBFCA FTR shooters are always keen to gain an advantage and the 185 Berger Juggernaught can be a formidable performer at longer ranges. Some are even shooting 215gn Bergers. But, it's not straightforward.

Personally, I'd address the challenge of getting a 155gn bullet doing 3000fps with good (i.e sub half MOA) accuracy. At club level, the 155gn Lapua Scenar will do all you want for a fraction of what you will pay for the 155.5 Berger.

It's a good idea to start off with the small primer Lapua brass and Vit N140 for the 155.

I agree with Vince I shot a couple of league FTR matches last year, Sierras will not cut the wind like the Bergers and when you need every point as you do at this level you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage shooting anything other than Bergers. 2155 shoot really well through my 308 but when you are fighting much more wind drift you will struggle.

The two Berger models you mention are both outstanding, once in a generation designs like the original Sierra Palma MK was in its day. Both are easy to tune, capable of unbelievable precision, and hold very good long-range elevations. At equivalent MVs (that is, both producing the same levels of muzzle energy), the 185 will outperform the 155.5 in the wind, but only enough to matter at 900 and 1,000 in most conditions. That also assumes that your chamber has been throated long enough to suit the 185 'Juggernaut'. Incidentally, when we say 185 Berger, nine out of ten FTR shooters automatically think BT Long-Range 'Juggernaut', not the newer and higher BC, but much more finicky to tune 185 Hybrid.

The downsides with the 185 are that it will wear your barrel out faster at max performance levels than a 155, and it will generate significantly more recoil and torque. If you're new to FTR and want to get your rifle and (crucially) bi-pod handling consistent, you'd be well advised to start with 155s. The heavier the bullet and greater the recoil / torque, the more chance of 'bi-pod hop' where its feet jump off the turf. This not only b*ggers up your elevations and produces inexplicable fliers, but dramatically increases the risk of your being inadvertently lined up on a neighbouring target on the following shot and taking a 'cross-shot' if you don't check where you're pointed!

l

You need to decide what twist barrel to go for also, I have a 1:10 twist and shot 185s last season and shooting heavies this season but I think 1:10 might be too fast for 155s (not tried them in 1:10 myself). The 185 Jug is an incredible bullet, when I started shooting them after 155s my scores improved immediately.

I would recommend a 1:10 twist, start off with 185 Jugs and if you decide you want to try the heavier pills you have the barrel to shoot them - (future proof)

Sierra 190s (1/2 the price of berger), Berger 185, Berger 210 and Berger 215s all shoot well out of my 1:10 twist.

As Laurie points out the heavier you go the more "recoil management" becomes an issue.

Best of luck with the new rifle Andy!!

I think it's time for me to try the 155.5gr bergers.ive never quite got the scenars shooting sub half inch.shot on stickledown yesterday in that really strong wind.the flag poles were bending . I had 30 moa elevation and 26 moa windage and aiming off.thats what you call steering a bullet .low scores expected can't say the 155.5s would of helped me too much.actually we did do a short cof.a 12 shot.i tried the 168gr amax and had a good cof.probaly luck

Archived