Phone and internet continuation for short power cuts

MrCetrizine

If you have a local power cut this will often not affect your local telephone exchange as they have redundant power supplies in place.

It will however stop you using your home phone if it's a cordless type. Likewise your broadband router will go down.

If you don't have a mobile phone or the mobile signal is also affected then a good backup is a cheap UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, battery backup).

I have my phone base station and my broadband router connected to one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE550G-UK-Interface-Power-Saving-Back-UPS/dp/B002RX6NY0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1427030235&sr=1-3&keywords=apc+ups

The last power cut we had took the mobile towers down but not the exchange. Thanks to my UPS, I still had phone and internet to be able to contact the power company, report the outage and get an ETA on a fix.

Depending on the size of UPS you get from a few hours to a few days usage for devices that don't draw too much power.

If you have a local power cut this will often not affect your local telephone exchange as they have redundant power supplies in place.

It will however stop you using your home phone if it's a cordless type. Likewise your broadband router will go down.

If you don't have a mobile phone or the mobile signal is also affected then a good backup is a cheap UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, battery backup).

I have my phone base station and my broadband router connected to one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE550G-UK-Interface-Power-Saving-Back-UPS/dp/B002RX6NY0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1427030235&sr=1-3&keywords=apc+ups

The last power cut we had took the mobile towers down but not the exchange. Thanks to my UPS, I still had phone and internet to be able to contact the power company, report the outage and get an ETA on a fix.

Depending on the size of UPS you get from a few hours to a few days usage for devices that don't draw too much power.

Brilliant, thanks!

The one I have can run my router for about 12 hours. You can get one big enough to run almost anything for almost any length of time. The only limit is money and space.

The last time we had a power cut, I moved mine from the router and plugged the TV into it. It ran for a couple of hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Out here in the back of beyond, we are used to power cuts and tend to be prepared for the worst.. Have a standby genny for the worst..

Having two just past teenage children, that can't live without the interweb.... "Dad it's a human right"..!!

I just have a handful of 12v 12Ah sealed lead acid batteries, the router takes 12v, and I get peace and quiet... for up to a week.

E...

Archived