Spring 2015 Roundhouse Rifle Challenge

Tiff

This weekend will draw on elements from previous RRC days and other international shoots. It is designed to be shot as a pair (either entered as a pair or composed on the day), with individual elements identical. Top pairs and top individual spots are on offer - no prizes though, since it's not a competition…just a challenge.

The firing schedule for the shoot is:

Friday 24th April - 100 yard zeroing open 14.00-18.00

Saturday 25th April - Challenge Day 07.45 - 12.45 OR 12.45 - 18.00

Sunday 26th April - 100 to 1,500+ yards Zeroing/Practice 08.30-14.30

Saturdays targets will be between 25 - 1,000 yards, with approximately 50/50 between paper & reactive targets (100 rds / 1 rifle each). Each stage will not be too physically demanding (no abseiling or cargo nets), but may require some movement up hills to elevate heart rates, induce stress & positional shooting is a certainty.

There will be NO zero check on Saturday (just like if you booked a dawn stalking trip) and your first shot may be up to 1,000 yards away - you MUST know your drops before you arrive!

Unlike previous RRC events, Saturday will be split in two, with pairs shooting either a morning OR afternoon session. There are places available for 16 individuals (8 pairs) in each session. Entry into your nominated session is only confirmed once your donation has been received! Thus there will be two briefings on Saturday at 07.45 & 12.45 - allowing people to travel down Saturday morning or equally travel down Friday and leave early Saturday afternoon if required.

Sunday will be a pure long range zeroing / practice day. Starting with a quick 100 yard zero check, the distance will jump to 650 yards and then increasing to a maximum distance of over 1,500 yards on steels. A great opportunity to test loads over a longer distance, gather vital drop data etc. and simply have some fun!

Entry donations (non refundable, but 50% transferable to any future events) are set at:

Fri & Sat Shoot - £80 inc. camping or bunkhouse Fri night.

+ Sun Shoot - £125 inc. camping or bunkhouse Fri & Sat nights

Or

Sunday practice shoot only - £50

There are a total of 32 places (16 pairs) available for Friday/Saturday, with the first 18 confirmed entrants being offered first refusal on the limited bunkhouse accommodation.

There are 16 places (8 pairs) available for Sunday.

If 20 people have not confirmed their entry by the 1st of April, unfortunately the event will almost certainly be cancelled. In this instance full refunds will obviously be issued. Also please understand the entry donations are fixed to cover the cost of hiring the location, setting-up etc. and no reduction is available if you choose not to shoot Friday afternoon, stay in the bunkhouse or camp.

The recommended minimum caliber is 6 mm, with 6.5 mm and larger being preferable. FMJ, Lapua Scenar and solid monolithic bullets are not permitted due to their increased ricochet potential. Other HPBT match bullets are ok to use, though A-Max/Expanding type bullets are preferred - people are meant to be zeroing field rifles after all! Also a M.V. limit of 3,100 fps & 3,500 ft/lbs will be in place on Saturday, to help preserve the closer steels.

For those of you who have not shot a Roundhouse day before, please note, it is NOT a rifle range. The rifle you use on the day MUST be your own and be conditioned for field shooting - i.e fox, deer or AOLQ & for zeroing over ground you have permission on etc. NO sharing of rifles. Equally, it is NOT a competition, just a challenging set of realistic scenarios designed to test your ability to safely & humanely shoot in field conditions. You MUST also have your own valid shooting insurance and not be subject to a 'mentoring condition', unless accompanied by your mentor. This will all be checked on the day. Permission to zero will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. and the ground is cleared for fullbore by D&C Constabulary. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling a firearm.

Many thanks,

Tiff

N.B. The landowners involved have expressly asked for their farms not to be named or pictured at all on the internet (or anywhere else) in reference to these shoots, so once you know the location please only refer to it as the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge, The Roundhouse or RRC etc.

Tiff... id like to offer my help on the day(s) if you have need of help ... im very interested in getting into long range shooting but have as yet not got a suitable rifle...seeing what goes on would be good experience.. i live in hartland north devon...Hugh.

I'm very interested but not currently free. Will see if I can juggle calendar around.

Thanks for putting on another one, Tiff. I know how much hard work and planning goes into this; it shows. The last two I've been on were fantastic.

Put me down for all 3 days Tiff and if you want a hand in the week before just shout.

Moving into the new South Devon digs on the 1st so will be about and close(ish)

cheers Will

Tiff

Could you put me down for the Sat pm and Sunday please?

If you let me have bank details via PM then I will transfer funds.....what is the cost for the above?

Cheers

Dave Thain

• 2 weeks later...

Any places left on Sunday Tiff?

Thinking 3x if possible.

Rgds

Ian

Sure thing, I will squeeze you in :): so Sunday is almost certainly now full.

However there is plenty of space on Friday and the main challenge event Saturday morning is currently empty!

If you've been thinking about attending, please make the effort this time. The next full sized RRC may well not be until Spring 2016, if at all!

Sure thing, I will squeeze you in :): so Sunday is almost certainly now full.

However there is plenty of space on Friday and the main challenge event Saturday morning is currently empty!

If you've been thinking about attending, please make the effort this time. The next full sized RRC may well not be until Spring 2016, if at all!

OK - 2x confirmed, dosh follows. Other bloke will be in Alaska and claims attending could be difficult! :)

Rgds

Ian

Send you a PM Tiff so hoping there may be a space for a small one on Saturday & Sunday

Sure thing I'll squeeze you in, pm returned :)

Tiff

Any idea when CoF ready?

Good question, I'll email it round to everyone by the 12th. Currently the diversity of targets is constantly evolving, as more people confirm their attendance.

Although I will add, there will be no more than 20 rounds at targets beyond 650 yards (max of 1,000 yards) on the Saturday.

Hope that helps a bit and if a few more people commit, I aim to build a turning target system for at least one stage :).

N.B. Also the 650 /1,000 yard 'bunker', is currently being lined with sand, so spotting splashes hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Still trying to get my 338LM 'field' conditioned or at least approved for zeroing on land where I have permission to shoot rather than only on formal ranges.......being roundly ignored at present !!!

To confirm, this will be the only full scale Roundhouse Rifle Challenge this year. So if you've been thinking about attending, now is the time...There are plenty of spaces available for Friday and Saturday AM.

With all this fine weather the Roundhouse is evolving and the available targetry is being upgraded. For this reason, the course of fire will not be released until the Friday of the shoot weekend. The basis of the CoF is outlined below:

Saturdays targets will be between 25 - 1,000 yards, with approximately 50/50 between paper & reactive targets (100 rds / 1 rifle each). There will be no more than 20 rounds at targets beyond 650 yards (max of 1,000 yards) on the Saturday. Each stage will not be too physically demanding (no abseiling or cargo nets), but may require some movement up hills to elevate heart rates, time limits to induce stress & multi-positional shooting is a certainty.

If you need any further information on the CoF please pm.

Hope you're all looking forward to the shoot - I certainly am :)

Here is an outline of the COF for Saturday:

Stage 1 : Down By The River - UKD - prone - 5 rds - enhanced paper fig. 14 - 5 min

Stage 2 : Where It All Began - 445 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” square steel - 1.5 min

Stage 3: Across The Valley Part 1 - 380 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” round steel - 1.5 min

Stage 4: Across The Valley Part 2 - 500 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” square steel - 1.5 min

Stage 5: Down the Valley - standing supported - 245 yards, 320 yards, 405 yards - 10 rds - 6” square steel & 8” round steel - 2.5 min

Stage 6: Post 20 Part 1 - 765 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” round steel - 2 min

Stage 7: Post 20 Part 2 - 880 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” square steel - 2 min

Stage 8: In The Balance Part 1 - 835 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” round steel - 2 min

Stage 9: In The Balance Part 2 - 950 yards - prone - 5 rds - 8” square steel & ballon - 2 min

Stage 10: Across The Water - 500 yards - prone - 5 rds - fig. 14 steel - 1.5 min

Stage 11: Hiding In The Grass - 500 yards - prone - 5rds - clays with a twist - 1.5 min

Stage 12: UKD - prone - 5 rds - Fig 14 steel - 3 mins

Stage 13: Amongst The Bales - 270 yards - sitting supported - 5 rds - fig. 14 steel - 2 min

Stage 14: Hide & Seek: - 110 yards - prone - 5 rds - target TBA upon arrival - 2 min

Stage 15: Bleep Test Barricade - 160 yards, 240 yards, 320 yards - multi positional (supported) - 15 rds - 6” square steel & 8” round steel - 5 min

Stage 16: Out & Back - 200, 275, 350, 500, 650 yards - prone - 10rds - 8” round, 8” square & Fig 14 steel - 4 min

Total 100 rounds

N.B. Distances given are only a guide and subject to slight change on the day

Time for a quick update, before I leave for the moors.

There is space on the Friday afternoon 100m zeroing session (£10) and still a couple of spaces for the less formal Sunday 100 - 1,600 yard zeroing day (£50). If you are interested in either, please get in touch.

The am/pm split on Saturday has been removed and will now be one event starting at 10.30.

The confirmed pairs ID and individual shooter ID is listed below:

John MH - Red 1 - 1
Paul C - Black 1 - 2
Dave T - Red 2 - 3
Luke T - Black 2 - 4
Glen. J - Red 3 - 5
Pete. C - Black 3 - 6
Pete S - Red 4 - 7
Tom - Black 4 - 8
Keith I - Red 5 - 9
Will H - Black 5 - 10
Gordon - Red 6 - 11
Paddy - Black 6 - 12
Russ T - Red 7 - 13
Will W - Black 7 - 14
Rich H - Red 8 - 15
Gary - Black 8 - 16
If you believe you are attending the main Saturday RRC and your name is not listed above, please pm me a.s.a.p.

I'm really looking forward to it and hope you are too.
See you all next weekend,
Tiff

Archived