Berger 215g Hybrid

Jay1

At 2675fps ,or so,needed to get comparable 6.5 x284 performance,what is recoil like,and in what weight of rifle? (Needs to be 40%+ heavier,but that's 23lb ,for rough parity...sounds a bit brutal otherwise?)

gbal

At 2675fps ,or so,needed to get comparable 6.5 x284 performance,what is recoil like,and in what weight of rifle? (Needs to be 40%+ heavier,but that's 23lb ,for rough parity...sounds a bit brutal otherwise?)

gbal

I've had 3 outings with them over the last 2 weeks testing with varget (kindly donated by a member).

My ballistic comparisons were to my normal competition load of 185g Jugs. Recoil is quite a bit more but once your rifle is well balanced its quite manageable. Torque was an issue but replacing the cant adjustable lever with a nut, tightened after setup and before the first shot solves this.

The last string I shot back to back with the 185s in a 9-12mph wind from 8 o clock and found the 215s have 2moa windage on the 185s.

My rifle is quite light, weighting in at just over 16.5lbs and I'm now looking at getting a weight made to attach to the rail in front of the bipod.

Powder choice is going to be my biggest problem :(

Is this the same as reloader 17?? Quickload suggests this could be a winner!!

Are you shooting that combo? E17 / 215s?

Yes, Re17 = Elcho 17 = Reload Swiss RS60.

Viht N550 is widely used with 210gn and heavier bullets in 308 Win, more often than Re17/E17 etc. Also, small primer Lapua Palma brass is a good idea with these heavy bullets and high-pressure loads using case filling loads of relatively slow burning high-energy powders. The rifle must be suitably throated too (ie long-throated) for this class of bullet.

Thanks ,Jay-windage will be better than 185g-

if you can get the velocity (N550,as Laurie's advice) and weight will help with recoil. Not perhaps for those with loose old dental work, though. :-)

g

Thanks for the info Laurie.

I just made the switch to palma brass and had the throat pushed so no turning back now :unsure:

What powder would be more widely available in the UK of the above mentioned? (N550, R17, E17 and RS60)

Thanks ,Jay-windage will be better than 185g-

if you can get the velocity (N550,as Laurie's advice) and weight will help with recoil. Not perhaps for those with loose old dental work, though. :-)

g

I can get the speed with Varget alright but I'm only too aware that there's no chance of any Varget reaching our shores any time soon. What I am hoping though is whatever is readily available in the UK might be an option for us here in the not so distant future.

If all this fails I'll be shooting 210s with H4350 at less than ideal speeds :(

N550 and the other (as either Re17 or RS60) are both widely available, it really depending on your supply sources. There are probably more people selling Viht powders but if you come across to Bisley you'll find RS60. Elcho 17 was bulk imported RS60 bottled by Commonside Firearms and that has now finished with the arrival of Reload Swiss propellants already bottled before import.

I think I seen plenty of Reload Swiss for sale at Bisley when I was over last September, I should have filled the jeep :D If only we could.....

What realistic speed can be achieved?

I should rephrase my above question:

Is 2650fps easily reached with the powders mentioned?? as this is where I think you want to be with the 215s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's another piece of info for those thinking of moving up to heavies but worried about their old load - 185g Jugs still shoot great with a big jump!! :D

Archived