CZ .222 Fully Moderated

Guest Stacka

I'm fully aware of the sonic crack. I'm more thinking of moderation at muzzle and the effect on speed from the muzzle.

sound wise it'll sound just like any other moderated rifle,and will have no effect on speed

atb paul

I'd have though rather quieter for the shooter...dependent on the quality of the moderator- even 'normal' moderators vary a bit,with 'bigger' and heavier usually a little quieter. 222 isn't the loudest cf,of course.

Anyone 'heard' a fully moderated production Sako 308 ?

gbal

I suppose it could potentially reduce the muzzle report if its done well, I did say earlier that you still get sonic crack but I think we are fooled into thinking our rifles are quieter than they really are. I occasionally shoot my .222 with jet z from between two farm sheds and the muzzle report is totally different than in an open field, in the field the more noticeable noise is the sonic crack which fools me into thinking there is hardly any boom because im moderated but shoot in an enclosed space and at short distance where the sonic crack is not so prominent and you will realise that your rifle is still bloody noisy, even the small .222 so I guess a fully modded .222 could make a noticeable difference especially shooting at short distances where the crack is over very quickly. if that makes sense.. cant see the mod having any affect on velocity though, I take it that's a custom mod/rifle?

James, I think your 'test' adds in another factor-enclosure-believe me,you do not want to fire a naked 222 from within a van,through the part open rear door....unless you are curious about the phrase " boom stick"!

The Sako was,I believe,a very limited edition factory production. I have never seen a side by side comparison with the same ammo-sub sonic-in a standard moderated/not otherwise comparable rifle.

I think the sonic crack is another matter,velocity related,independent of the moderator's influence (though of course, 'sub sonic' ammo should remove it-along with much of the performance,of course!)

g

We used to use some moderated rifles and carbines when we were a cabbage patch kid, and now have a few 'fully moderated' rifles as a civvy.

In general, they reduce, in some cases almost entirely eliminate, the muzzle blast but none of them can do anything about the supersonic crack made by the bullet. However, that isn't necessarily a problem. The crack travels perpendicularly to the flight path of the bullet and this doesn't alert the quarry to the shooter's position (assuming a missed shot, in the case of a hit it doesn't matter either). If the muzzle blast is well suppressed, then the quarry tends to look around, startled, then goes back to grazing*.

Good moderators tend to eliminate the high frequency element of muzzle blast very well, leaving just the lower frequencies. These are very hard to locate spatially (think of distant thunder - audible but not easily pinpointed to any one location.)

We have .45 APC, 7.62x51 and .22 LR suppressed rifles, and fully suppressed rather than just with a commercial moderator stuck on the muzzle. Loaded with subsonic rounds they are nigh on silent but even with full fat loads it's pretty difficult to tell where the shot came from even if you can hear it.

*Assuming the quarry is a rabbit or Bambi, rather than Farmer Giles...

You were once a fish head once Meles?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the monies....

Iv never fired a fully modded rifle .....wonder if there is any point?

You were once a fish head once Meles?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the monies....

We think they have their uses, but maybe you don't need to tackle the same varmints we do. We prefer not to let Farmer Giles know where we are. Maybe you hunt near a housing estate, or on a golf club, and don't want lots of noise complaints? Maybe you want to hunt unimpeded by ear defenders ?

We think they have their uses, but maybe you don't need to tackle the same varmints we do. We prefer not to let Farmer Giles know where we are. Maybe you hunt near a housing estate, or on a golf club, and don't want lots of noise complaints? Maybe you want to hunt unimpeded by ear defenders ?

Is this Queen Elizabeth posting with the Royal 'We'?!

Welcome Your Majesty :blink:

Did the Swiss Raid Commando comp many years ago; quietest weapon on a suppressed weapons stand was a De Lisle (ie fully suppressed); rest of the team were on conventionally suppressed mini-uzis and one on a silenced 22 pistol; the De Lisle was so quiet that the firer thought it had misfired until he heard the steel 'sentry' go down. It worked because the 45 is subsonic. But, firing supersonic ammo, I can't see any advantage at all for a fully suppressed rifle over a quality conventional moderator.

Fully suppressed AI got a lot of use where I worked. Used Ruag 200 gn 308 which although ran out of power by 250 metres and dropped like a stone, it would punch through a telegraph pole quite well. Not much expansion on other stuff but a well placed shot did work. We eventually we started to have problems with first shot through a cold moderator.

Fully suppressed AI got a lot of use where I worked. Used Ruag 200 gn 308 which although ran out of power by 250 metres and dropped like a stone, it would punch through a telegraph pole quite well. Not much expansion on other stuff but a well placed shot did work. We eventually we started to have problems with first shot through a cold moderator.

200gn subsonic ammunition, presumably?

Archived