Justice has been done!

srvet

A few weeks ago we lost two of our three chickens to a fox. The attack happened one Saturday morning in broad daylight just after breakfast. My wife had gone upstairs to get changed and shouted down that there was a fox in the field. By the time I could get the rifle out and step outside it had legged it but we subsequently found two dead chickens killed and left within five yards of the front door. To say that the kids , particularly my 9 year old daughter were upset was a bit of an understatement.

Since then I have sat out early and late, squeaked using every call I own and made rabbit like noises with as many body parts as I can, all to no avail. I started baiting about a week ago but saw no activity at all. Last night I stepped out of the door with my thermal round my neck at about 11pm to see a larger than rabbit sized heat source half way up the field. Once again I was too late out with the rifle as the field was empty on my return.

This evening I stepped out again to check the animals and mindful of the previous encounter had the thermal with me once again. My feet were still on the doorstep when I peered round the corner to look up the field to see a rabbit and a second much larger red blob through the camera. I turned tail and started unlocking the cabinet, first to hand was the 17 remington with NV scope. I fitted the mod as fast as I could and grabbed 3 rounds from the ammo cabinet. Not wanting to delay I dropped one into the chamber as I crossed the threshold and pocketed the other two. As I left the house I noticed that my better half had left the house whilst I was arming myself, had turned the yard lights on and was in the stables feeding the horses. Fantastic thought I, the best chance so far almost certainly spoilt. I stepped out of the door and up the step onto the yard. Scanning the field revealed the larger heat signature to still be there, just where I last saw it. I switched the NV and the IR on and deployed the bipod legs. My car bonnet provided a nice solid rest and I soon saw a fox clearly visible through the photon. Safety off and the trigger was squeezed, the muted report was immediately followed by a solid meaty thump as Walt Bergers little masterpiece did its thing. The fox dropped on the spot and moved no more. I reloaded and retrieved him (he was a large dog fox) and was amazed by the length of his canine teeth. Undoubtedly an old boy that had visited many a chicken coop and lambing field in his time. I can now head to bed feeling that justice has been done!

Wel done,

hope the children have made some progress towards recovery..

Well done - traumatic as it may have been, it's also good for the kids to see such 'cause and effect' in action.

I suspect the fox felt the true cause and effect!! ^_^ The kids to be honest were upset for a few days but soon bounced back. Catching up with the little bar steward has made it seem much fairer from their point of view. I cannot remember being so glad to have caught up with a fox/deer before. I guess it is inevitably a lot more personal when it is your own stock that has been taken.

I have just been looking over the pictures that I took. I still cant get over the length of this chaps canine teeth! Is this a measure of age or is this just an individual variation thing?? I will try and post a picture.

Paddy, I'm liking your foxing book!! lots of great tips...thanks :ph34r:

post-10343-0-36557400-1419008494_thumb.jpg

well done mate i know what its like to get a fox raiding a chicken coup on a child , my newphew was never more happy when his grandad gave him a few off his own too look after , a couple off nights past and a fox killed all and left them der for him to find , me and a four year old stayed out every night that week till we got him ,

17 rem to the rescue , glad you got im ! ;)

I suspect the fox felt the true cause and effect!! ^_^ The kids to be honest were upset for a few days but soon bounced back. Catching up with the little bar steward has made it seem much fairer from their point of view. I cannot remember being so glad to have caught up with a fox/deer before. I guess it is inevitably a lot more personal when it is your own stock that has been taken.

I have just been looking over the pictures that I took. I still cant get over the length of this chaps canine teeth! Is this a measure of age or is this just an individual variation thing?? I will try and post a picture.

Paddy, I'm liking your foxing book!! lots of great tips...thanks :ph34r:

attachicon.gifTeeth resized.jpg

Thanks for your kind words! As for the teeth - that's usually a good indicator of age. If you want to know more, you can extract a canine and polish it down on a sheet of emery. When it's nice and flat, stick it under a magnifying glass and count the layers. Most experts consider one layer = one year.

Paddy that is interesting , do you or anyone know how old they can live , dying naturally ?Cheers .

Paddy that is interesting , do you or anyone know how old they can live , dying naturally ?Cheers .

They reckon that most town foxes die before their first birthday - generally as the result of being hit by cars. Country foxes are a different matter though. Few live beyond five years, however, but they have been known to survive fifteen years in captivity.

Archived