GS Custom Load Development

Ronin

May be of interest to some

Ive used copper solids for several years, but have lost faith in my usual brand due to indifferent quality lot to lot.

I use copper because I have to as part of the terms of my lease on some of the ground I manage, so rather than have certain loads for certain areas, I just use copper for all.

By the way, I believe copper will be compulsory in forthcoming years for most deer management - so may be an idea to start the transition now chaps…..

I sourced some GS Customs from the European Importer Tiemens & Tiemens in the Netherlands, who got a few hundred to me within a week of order - unlike the previous importer whom I'm still waiting to deliver a few hundred I ordered 12 years ago,,,,,

Anyway - the GS customs are not traditional bullet weights, they need ordering to suit the twist rate of the barrel, rather than on weight the hunter wants to use.

I ordered some 95g and 103g HV solids with drive bands.

IMG_2350_zpsed90572b.jpg

The 95grainers are for 9 twist and will be used by a friend who has a 260 Rem

I ordered the 103's for myself, which came coated with a hard friction reducing application.

The HV's are designed to expand on entry and give minimal meat damage - like most other solids and unlike most soft points they stay together...

You get a fact sheet in each box, regarding how to develop loads, the first thing thats set out is to make up one start load and increase incrementally in half grain / one grain towards the perceived maximum to see initially what load the rifle will deal with safely.

It stresses that the first load tests must not be regarded as an accuracy test.

So with that in mind, I made up five cartridges, loaded with the 103g HV's to - .010" off the lands in my 6.5x47 AX (Border 1.8 twist)

Starting at 37g, 37.5, 38, 38.5 and finally 39g (Varget)

My usual load is 38 g Varget under a 120g projectile.

I went to the farm, which is a 850 ft altitude and covered in low cloud, mist this afternoon and blowing a pretty constant 15 mph crosswind just to be bloody minded.

I set up a target at 100 mfrs using several sleepers in front of a earth bank as backstop.

The wind was so bad the target was starting to rip so I had to tape it down.

First shot was 37g at a 1/4 inch black dot - which I could hardly see due to the mist.

Fall of shot was 1/2 inch to the right of my normal zero.

Had a quick check and re think as an aim point wasn't really visible and folded a square of paper taping it to the target which was about an inch square, returned to the firing point and fired the remaining loads at the target, checking for pressure signs after each shot.

None were visible - each charge weight showed good obturation and no real pressure on the primers.

IMG_2362_zps143406d4.jpg

IMG_2361_zps80324f58.jpg

I went to the target and was pleasantly surprised to see all remaining four shots in an inch group in the white aiming point

IMG_2360_zpse8d13e0a.jpg

I wasn't able to record the fall of each shot, due to the weather, but I am assuming that 37.5 and 38 g are the two together and the two higher charges are those to the left. The reasoning behind that is the lowest charge of 37g shot in a similar place to what I think were the 37.5 and 38 loads.

While I was examining the target, I retrieved a bullet from the sleepers - the bullet recovered had passed through one sleeper and stopped at the surface of the sleeper behind

This is the bullet, which has obviously opened as it should and one "petal" has broken off

IMG_2359_zps4b7fe3c5.jpg

Retained weight

IMG_2355_zpsdfcf5f80.jpg

Original weight

IMG_2356_zps0ebe5eea.jpg

So, initial load development very favourable, accuracy testing will be done at 38g and i'll adjust the seat depth in .020" increments away from the lands.

Thats the next job

Hi Steve,

no, I didn't have any magnum small rifle primers, so used CCI BR primers.

Any guess as to the speeds they where doing? Are you gonna put any over a chrono, just curious how much more whizz your getting compared to your usual 120 load.

Looks like a nice start with some impressive retained weight considering the route through a sleeper (or do you need to invest in some slightly less spongy sleepers?). Might have to back up my dumpy bags of dirt!

:)

Sleepers are semi solid, but starting to rot on one side. Just use em as a back stop / target holder on one place on the farm when the weather is poor and i can't "reach out" and theres a mile of hillside for them to pass through at that location so no danger at all..

Yes, impressive retention to say the least and also impressive accuracy given the 2 grain spread.

The rifle usually has the 120's going at 2980, I've no reason to think the 103's are going any slower.

Once I settle on an accurate load (hopefully tomorrow), I will put them over the magneto speed and see what they're doing.

Im going to load them with 38g and use .010" off, .030" off, .050" and .070" to see whats best.

Back at the farm today to continue with load testing with the GS Custom solids.

Wet, wild and windy were the conditions - not conducive to accuracy, but i carried on regardless of the 15 mph crosswind..

Set a target out at 100 mtrs and started shooting.

Three shot "groups" all at 38g charge but set at differing seat depths or -.010", -.030", - .050" and - .070" off the lands

I also shot a "control" group using 123g Scenar - which shoots pretty much .3 MOA each time I do my part.

Despite being hampered by the elements, here are the results:

First the four differing seat depths

The aim point is the dot to the left of each group

IMG_2365_zps7fcee426.jpg

The best group being .030" off the lands

No explanation for the vertical string on groups 1 and 3, it was a steady, stable prone shooting point (if a little uncomfortable with wet stuff trickling down my neck…)

Group 4 - I think I missed a big pick up / drop off out there.

Group 2 is indicative of what I was hoping to achieve - well happy.

IMG_2366_zps8785d42e.jpg

Note the wind drift...

Next the "control group" with the 123g Scenar

IMG_2367_zpse9a136b1.jpg

The GS drifted circa and inch and a quarter in the wind, the scenar, half as much.

BC of the GS is indicated at .454

The 123 Scenar is from manufacturers data, .527

But id hazzard a guess that the GS are a little lower BC than claimed.

I started drop test at 100 , 200 , 300, 400 mtrs but had to stop at 200 as low cloud came in (again) frustrating, but not safe to continue.

At a 100 mtr zero the GS dropped 3.450" at 200.

Happy with the accuracy of the second seat depth though.

Just need too confirm this is a reliable load and check for drop data then its good to go on the hinds..

Crikey mate, I thought I was daft being out delivering logs and I was getting paid. The farm must be in a good spot, it was way over 15 mph at the yard for most of today.

It's all looking good, pity about grp 4 and the wind, could've been even better?

I'm a bit surprised at 3.45" drop to 200m (and what's with mixing " & m !?!). I would've expected less drop to 200m, especially with copper bullets liking being pushed harder.

Looks likes it time to break out the scales and start data capture, just give me dry day first!

Its 850ft above sea level and my firing point was sheltered by a small Sitka wood, the targets were not sheltered and I estimated the wind by watching the low cloud whistling past.

If the met office is to be believed it was blowing 19 mph.

My rifles don't care what the weather is, they get used regardless….

Forecast for higher wind tomorrow (29 mph) but no rain, may venture out early for a walk and date with some ladies..

Grouping - yes its on song.

Drop - don't forget these are not lead and behave differently, less sectional density, lighter bullet = more drop

Once I know what the confirmed drops are, its just a case of dialling in.

Sorry bout the combined metric and imperial,,,I'm old enough to be able to work both :D

Andy, how much are they a pop?

68 Euro / 50 plus post

But, factor in carcass value return per single bullet...

Real terms they're no more expensive than someone unfortunate enough to be buying factory ammo...

Real terms they're no more expensive than someone unfortunate enough to be buying factory ammo...

And way cheaper than having to buy copper factory ammo!

So, having sorted a suitably accurate load, other than fine tuning, the final thing to look at is terminal ballistics.

Out this morning early - winds not as bad as predicted, but blowing nevertheless.

Onto an area I manage.

Located and stalked into a parcel of hinds and stags.

Two came back to the larder with me

For the uninitiated; hind on the left, staggie on the right.

IMG_2370_zpseeb6e881.jpg

Hind was taken at 106 yds, left to right crosswind, blowing circa 20 mph, so no neck shots...

High chest, low neck when she was facing me - dropped like a stone.

Bullet didn't penetrate the diaphram - which on reds is 18 inches (ish) rear of the front of the chest.

Heart lung node strike and liver macerated.

A bit of damage in the initial wound area but nothing to write home about - (the froth on the floor is a drip tray by the way)

IMG_2368_zps6d6ebbb6.jpg

Staggie - shot at 165 yds, while quartering towards the hind.

Bullet impacted just behind the left foreleg just above the elbow entering the chest and taking out the lung and liver - again did not penetrate the diaphragm.

Animal stood for three to five seconds on wobbly legs and went down.

IMG_2369_zpse16cc52b.jpg

Both field gralloched and brought to the larder for inspection and prep.

Neither animal had exit holes, however I wasn't able to recover the bullets - time was a factor and sifting through several litres of macerated liver / lungs isn't my idea of fun.

The GS perform as expected and work well.

Now to try em in the 6.5 x 284….

Well they work!

+1 on wanting to recover the bullet(s), but there's plenty time for that.

Being used to 308, it's interesting that there's no exits. Is this usual with 6.5 on red? It sounds like they dump all there energy pretty quickly, which I'll take every time, over pencilling through.

Cheers for the photos, very useful to a newbie on 6.5.

My guess is the bullets were sitting in the congealed gloop that emptied out when I opened the chest on both.

I had a "feel" around in - gave me nice warm hands if nothing else…. :rolleyes:

But I couldn't spot anything obvious.

Is this normal for solids in 6.5 Dave; I have recovered several Barnes 130 TSX over the years I've used them - usually only those at closer range. It seems to me that the "longer" shot don't open as well and pencil through.

They still worked fine (DRT), but were a complete pass through.

There will be plenty more opportunities this season to recover bullets and check for retained weight, just not from these two today.

I normally find bullets under the skin on the far side when skinning if I'm prepping a carcass and its been shot with a 7 or 30, but it really depends on how the bullet has performed. Seen plenty with slipped jackets too….

I was expecting the staggie to have been a pass through, but it wasn't., just shows that the GS Customs open up pretty quick and dump the kinetic energy where they should.,,

Well, as they slept of lunch and played with their new toys, I played with mine, out in the field.

Initial tests suggested 38.5 gr of N540 was worth a look. Having tried it at various jumps the best group was 0.30" off the lands, running at 2950 fps giving a group of .656".

After checking back with the tech & load data from GSC, I thought there was more to be had in terms of speed and accuracy.

I upped the load 0.5 gr, which gave me 3250 fps and a 3 shot group of .346". Got to say I'm more than happy with that.

I'll try and find some small deer tomorrow and check the terminal effects, as Andy only shoots big ones?

Andy,

Interesting read, I've been tying with going 'solid' and picked up some of the Hornady GMX's with this in mind, could not get them to work in a 6.5x55 Tikka T2 20" varmint. Went back to the 'standard' CT's and BT's dropped over a guess load = good group.The GMX's were no longer than the CT's and BT's so not a twist thing. will stick with them for the moment (i.e. till I run out! :) )

My friend's had good results with Barnes in Africa but as you say I've heard various things that put me off this make.

Will have a look at these GS's?

T

• 4 weeks later...

Out early doors for more "testing"

This time looking for Roe and or Fallow in pretty dense scrub on two limestone pavement areas.

Minus 3 and freezing fog made it interesting walking upright...

Anyway, no Roe seen, but came upon a small group of Fallow, one being a poor quality spiker buck that was limping from the rear quarters.

Managed to stalk in close as the area he was in was yew thicket with limited opportunity for anything other than low chest shot.

Took him at 25 yds.. (6.5x47 - 103g GS Custom HV)

DRT

IMG_2422_zps89300a1f.jpg

Buck was limping due to an old RTA injury - amazing how resilient deer are…..not only had the open fracture healed without obvious infection, the injured leg was also dislocated and slightly withered through (I think) lack of use.

IMG_2424_zpsca077915.jpg

IMG_2423_zpsa4ee477d.jpg

All lymph nodes normal when I checked by the way and animal in pretty good condition - decent body weight and size, though little fat when opened up.

Bullet had passed into rumen when I opened him up - sorry, not sifting through that for recovery…

Back at the larder

Entry wound

IMG_2425_zps87ed8f6d.jpg

Clipped the heart / lung node and liver and continued - no particles of copper evident or visible despite extreme close range indicating bullet held together perfectly, also remained within animal at high velocity - all plusses as far as I'm concerned.

Track on Liver I think is pretty good indication of bullet expansion / diameter as its opened up and passed through.

Sorry for graphic shots.

Don't look if you're not interested, :)

IMG_2426_zpse278b071.jpg

Archived