Winter foxing

Fishnshoot

Hello all, can anyone tell me if its worth while putting the effort in on the foxes at this time of year?, Would I be right thinking that it would be just dogs that will be about as vixens will be underground? Or is it to early for that yet?, obvisley weather plays a big part on whether I bother going out, but how does it affect Charlie at this time of year?,

Regards!... Fns

I'm working my hardest this time of year. The extreme cold. (Well not that extreme let's say -3 last night) means there isn't much rodents and other food sources about like normal times of year. So try and use those types of calls.

Foxes go where food is, all year round so try and work that out. For me I know my vast estate so well I can work out which calls to use where.

Iv shot vixen and dog this time of year the other week a pair were running together.

To end I think winter voxing is the best and most effective, get your thermals on and embrace the cold.

That's good to know stacka, wasn't sure if they'd still be about, I was baiting a couple of spots a month or so ago, but due to op recovery I've not had a chance to get out for a look, and sitting in the house with cabin fever rapidly setting in I thought I'd ask and see what the thoughts of the guys in the know are.

The cold won't bother me, but it's been wind and rain here for the last week and a half, not that I could get out but as soon as I get a break in the weather and I'm able enough I'll head out and have a lamp.

Atb!

I rarely lamp nowadays, it's all NV for me.

The second it stops raining you want to get out-...things that have been on only emergency feeding will look now to get there energy levels up.

If your back is giving you grief I'd suggest a good and thorough recce of you land before you even go out with your rifle. That way capitalising on each night out.

Get hold of a fox call, I use FOXPRO there on offer at Bushwear at the moment, £130 for a FOXPRO Spitfire. Great for bringing them in.

this is the time of year for nv -all foxes will go to ground now its cold if they havnt a nice bale stack to get into-the terrier lads i know are chomping at the bit to get to work on a shoot i sort the vermin on but they will have to wait a few more weeks as the shoot captain doesnt want then about-the keeper does but he does as he is told ;)

Had 2 with the fox pro last night. Tried squeaky calls, nothing then stumbled on this fox with his head down motoring over the next field, tried everything to stop him an get him off the brow of the field but he had his mind on something else... vixen or something I thought so I whacked on the fox rally call but he still didn't return. But 3 others came in at the same time I nailed one then I managed to keep track of one of the others and moved to the next field. Put the call on again an he just kept watching fro about 300 yds away in a hedge so I altered the call to rodent an so on he just sat there! Then put screaming rabbit on and he came in so fast I had to shout him down Before I levelled him! both dog foxes

Sorts the men from the boys :)

Or the foxers from the pretenders ;) lol

Never forget lamping on the kobota at -12 now that was a little chilli, but at least the ground was hard lol

Gaz

Not tonight though its piddling down, was out Sat night, just the one fox didn't need a caller it was mooching through lamb turds for slugs worms or any other turd loving slimy's..

Gaz what happened to your new rifle you were getting ????

Not tonight though its piddling down, was out Sat night, just the one fox didn't need a caller it was mooching through lamb turds for slugs worms or any other turd loving slimy's..

Gaz what happened to your new rifle you were getting ????

I had it and it was nice but a little to heavy, so another chap had it, great bit of kit for longrange plinking but getting up high seats ect it wasn't friendly lol

Gaz

Cheers for all the feed back guys, I'll definitely be heading out first chance I geat. Gaz's photo makes me want to head out right now!...

I'll need to get a nv spotter again, I had a Yukon ranger a few years back that I used for the bunnys with the air rifle, but found it Was to bright on the eye. Anyone got any recommendations for a nv unit that doesn't cost the earth and doesn't leave you blind either?

Regards!... Fns

I brought in three to the caller last night, bringing our total for the year to date to 263. It'll actually be 264 if we can find the one that we lost in the undergrowth! There is still a good mix of dogs to vixens - mating is only just starting, so it'll be a while before the mother vixens need to lie up - and even then there will still be lots of 'helper' vixens about - usually the sisters or daughters of the alpha female.

Winter foxing is great (as is foxing year round)

Up where you are I'd imagine a vixen won't cub until around mid march/april at the earliest (gestation period 53-58 days) so they "should" be starting to pairing up around now.

Foxes will lie up underground during crap weather, but they still have to eat. (ive done terrier work this time of year and once had 4 adults out the same spot in real hard weather, also years ago dug out vixen and cubs 14th feb cubs still blind)

Once the vixen is underground to cub, she won't venture far if at all for the first 6-8weeks and as Paddy says the dog and any helpers will ferry food to her which if you do your homework can easily lead to their downfall. Once the cubs are venturing above ground (10week old+) they fast make a mess, once weaned/eating meat it will quickly resemble a tip with carcase's littering the place. Don't forget at any stage she might up sticks and move them if you've been too close/disturbed them or for any other matter unknown to us! If you do locate a den sight with cubs ALWAYS take the adults first.

There are some great "foxing" books out there, Paddy is the author of one ( A Foxers Year) as is Mr Bucknell (Foxing with Lamp and Rifle) and Mr Powell (A Foxing life with gun and rifle)

Great going on the foxes Paddy, I took another pair last night (8 for the week)

Gained a new 1600acre lump to cover since end of October and its been very productive to say the least although I'm sure the animal sanctuary just down the road has been providing me with some targets....

Nice picture Gaz, did you have any joy?

Have any of you caught them in act and sorted them both out, ???

Few times yes, but never killed 2 with one shot but had a few left and rights, drop the first and the second one has to have a look back big mistake lol

Gaz

Have any of you caught them in act and sorted them both out, ???

Yep - several times - usually shot one, then as the other pauses in the act of running off, shot that one too.

On one occasion - late in the afternoon but still in daylight, I heard a sound like grunting pigs just ahead of me. Creeping up, I managed to make out a fox's head in amongst the long grass. I set the sticks up and shot it in the skull with my .308 at about 15 yards. It disappeared downwards with a loud thud and then tore off across the adjoining field as though it had a rocket up its arse. Very confused, I walked over to discover the male fox (minus its head) lying right where it had fallen. That's when I realised what he'd been up to!

First time out on Monday with a new 4x4 and new Dipol D128 add on. Staked out a fresh dug earth Id spotted when out crow shooting last week. Sat quietly for an hour trying the occasional squeak, nothing then my phone rings and its Pete wanting to know if Iv got anything.

After 5 minutes waffling I get rid of him lift the rifle turn on the N/V and there is a fox wandering along the hedge line at 90 yards , quick shout to stop it then take the shot, despite a solid thump it takes off like its tail is on fire, runs 40 yards and drops dead. That's the 4th this year from the same small field

Archived