quickload guru

Hi

I have treated myself to quickload and managed to concern myself straight away.

I put my grendel load in which i have used for '000's of rounds and apart from some primer flattening in hot weather i have had no problems.

Put it into quickload and it says its a dangerous load ! (31g blc2 and 123g scenar to mag length 2.265)

Looking at the figures it predicts a velocity of 2689 when my chrono shows 2550 . It is my 1st play with the programme and I'm still a novice but how accurate is it ?

The max posted load is 31.5 although this is for gas operated semis / autos

Andy

Have you made sure all the data you have loaded is correct ???

1. Bullet overall length.

2. Seating depth.

3. Barrel length

4. Case H20 capacity. (This is very important because case capacities varies quite a lot with different brass manufacturers.)

I Have used quickload for about 5 years and have always found it to be accurate to within 50fps if I ensure the data I load is correct. However most of my most accurate loads have been deemed to be "Dangerous". (Usually upto 5000psi over the max recommended pressure)

I find it quite varied values mainy around the pressure. My 243 loads with Varget and 70 grain Noslers was absolutely spot on. Velocity and overpressure matched real world findings. My 270 WSM, you cant realistically load it to the levels that QL show are within the blue. You get to about 80% of max and things start to get sticky. My 20 TAC I can go well into the red (well in) and things are completely fine.

As has been said above, seating depth and true case capacity have an affect.

I tend to use QL more to give me +90% fill with the best velocity starting in mid blue and do the rest manualy. I too find the majority of my loads are the ones that are either at or over danger levels, but obviously don't recommend that as a method to follow.

To be honest I have put the oal and barrel length . The h2o value is pre populated and i thought the seating depth would come from the oal ?

If all else fails I'll read the instructions

H2O capacity is very important because a set quantity of powder in 2 different cases of different capacities will give completely different pressures. If your variables are not accurate you may as well forget using quickload and just stick to homeload data charts.

H2O capacity is very important because a set quantity of powder in 2 different cases of different capacities will give completely different pressures. If your variables are not accurate you may as well forget using quickload and just stick to homeload data charts.

Fully agree , I need to spend more time with it.

QL does not distinguish between primers and that alone can wary 2-3000psi, then there is small differences in powder from LOT to LOT.

So sometimes it misses but typically not by much and as stated you can adjust the powder burnrate factor.

Another thing you might try tweaking is the case "form factor":

Caseformfactor_zpsb4d494e2.jpg

Where to find the powder burnrate factor:

Wheretofindpowderburnratefactor_zps8026d

Where to change the value:

Powderburnratefactor_zpsde1ddf47.jpg

As said , the case capacity , barrel TwIsT also is important , remember too that some batches of bullets may have different jacket shape from old or previous runs ! So the ogive is affectively nearer/futher away from lands ? Maybe - just a thought . Atb -tim

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone care to run the figures for a 338 LM using 257g GS Custom HV drive band solids….my windows computer has died and Mac don't run QL

Use H1000, RS70, RL25, Vit 165

Overall case length will be circa 4.100" seated to the case neck junction

Looking for max load and 3000 plus fps

(BC is .855,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

I used to use 95g of H1000 under a 250 Scenar and got 2980 in the old rifle...

Thanks Mike

Congrats on the new position by the way

Bullet length 1.91" (yes you read that right)

338" diameter

330" bore diameter

257 g lathe turned cu solid

Loaded length in case tip to base is estimated 4.100"

H20 capacity - standard 338 LM case (circa 116,78 g)

Here is a file for quick load with the data you need..

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/download.html

Cheers.

I'll post the data once I've run it for you.

Hopefully push the club forward and bring some more long distance shooters to the firing points.

Mike

Thanks Mike (on both counts)

i need to get my backside back to Warcop to shoot.

Been too long - work, family conspire against you - sure everyone has that problem.

In process of putting together another 338, ,,,though I have 375 on my ticket as well, its probably easier to go smaller than bigger….

What is the barrel length?

Incidentally the G'S custom file for QL doesn't contain those bullets!

So far with a 24" tube and 92 gr of H1000 you only get 2700fps.

Drop me an email to mike@fcsa.co.uk

And ill send all the data for all loads.

Will be 26 or 28 Mike

I was using 94 g H1000 with no pressure signs and just under 2980 fps with 250g Scenar in the last tube.

Should get similar I think with the 257grainers.

I'll drop you a email

Archived