22.250 all over the place

Dragonlr

Been shooting spot on till last night went in daylight today and it's shooting all over sometimes missing the target completely using a JetZ mod, a S/B 5-25x56 PM11checked all Allen heads on scope mounts all ok but noticed the stock is touching the barrel and can't get piece of paper between could this be the cause.atb Ed

Been shooting spot on till last night went in daylight today and it's shooting all over sometimes missing the target completely using a JetZ mod, a S/B 5-25x56 PM11checked all Allen heads on scope mounts all ok but noticed the stock is touching the barrel and can't get piece of paper between could this be the cause.atb Ed

I think you have found the culprit. :ph34r:

Is it wood? , the colder damper weather will move timber, besides a sheet of paper measures 5ish thou , you need 2mm really for peace of mind

Tried it today still all over place even tried a Predator 8 mod not tried it off bag was going to put spare Schmidt PM 11 scope on and try that but might try it off bag first,someone said it was the barrel shot out the gun is 4 yr old about 300 shots a year home loads what do you guys think. Atb Ed

unless you home load red hot it shouldnt be. Do you always take the mod off? my 22/250 was fried at about 2500 shots but not worse than 2" groups

Using 32grns of Tac so not that hot and yes I take the mod off every time.atbEd

All nuts and bolts tight you say, barrel now fully floating, group's not good with or without mod, same loads that previously shot well.

If all is you say then, has the crown been damaged if not then I would change the scope then check groups.

To go off that quickly points to something loose

Give the rifle a good check over, give the barrel a good scrub and try factory ammo through it without the moderator.

Basically remove all variables, then move forward from there step by step adding your kit again.

Visiter and Borisserge have both advised a thorough clean-barrels do shoot out of course-but usually there is some decline,not an overnight dramatic worsening....but that can occur with copper build up-do you use copper remover?

Try a very thorough bore scrub out,and copper removal-you get immediate feedback as the patches will come out blue/green depending on the copper remover used.....you might need quite a lot of wet patches through,and leave some for a while (hour at least).You haven't said anything about cleaning regime...but it does sound like a within barrel issue-worn or dirty/coppered...given all the other checks which have not solved it,so let's get the barrel clean,at least.

gbal

Had the gun looked at by local custom gunmaker/gunsmith he said barrel is clean of both copper and carbon,crown is undamaged,all relevant stock bolts and scope fixings are all tight only thing he could see was rust & crud on the Mod thread on the end of barrel all cleaned off now ready to try not had chance yet if still the same with no mod must be the scope will put another on to confirm and let you all know the outcome.atb Ed

Hi Ed, good to hear the smith gave your rifle a clean bill of health. When you do your testing, if possible, use factory ammo. It removes one last variable out of the whole conundrum. Lastly, shoot with and without the moderator.

What scope is it out of interest ? Oh and modd?

I think it was quoted the scope is a pm2.

My 1st thought after the op's comments was scope, it may or may not be, but it's got to be the easiest and quickest check.I will always be scope swap in these circumstances. Just because you spend 2k on scopes does not make them infallible.

What scope is it out of interest ? Oh and modd?[/quot

The scope is a Schmidt&Bender 5-25x56. PM11 the Mod is a Wildcat Predator 8 also got Jet Z cab.atb Ed

Any more progress as to the problem ? Cheers tim / ps-top range kit , its a little baffling .

Archived