Remington Varmint rifles, laminate or HS precision

Toby

Not what you wanted to hear but my 2 cents.

I won't own a Remington. They are the 10/22 of the centerfire bolt action world: You buy the rifle and proceed to modify it one feature at a time until you get a rifle equal to another maker's off the rack model. We can't get Tikka Varmint models here too easily so I have no experience with them, but I'd take my T-3 Lite .223 over any Remington, of any model in the same chambering. I've worked on too many of them. ~Andrew

I know that they are not everyones cup of tea but I am decided on a Remington 700. Surely if they are as bad as many make out then the US government/military and law enforcement wouldn't have chosen them? I realise that they are far from perfekt but they seem to be a solid platform to build on to ones own taste with a myriad of spares available. I have heard of quality issues from recent rifles and of course the trigget recall on one or two rifles......

The Tikka is a Nice rifle for sure, nearly guaranteed to shoot straight out the box, however I am not keen on 223 length cartridges in 30-06 length actions. Probably stupid for sure but I have been spoilt with my Sakos :-@.

Thanks for Your input.

I do not want to try and sell a Remington to any one all down to individual taste but as you say Toby US government and Goverments all over the world use Remington standard or modified they have won more comps around the world then any other action in one form or another the good thing as you say Toby is there are so many parts available for them and lets not forget even most custom action are Remy cloned so that tells you something they cant be that bad I own a .20 Tac with Remy action love it and wearing a HS Precision stock full aluminium bedding block most Gunsmith rate the Remy action and build accurate solid rifles on them.

I think that fit is the key point. I had an HS precision stock on my VS. Whilst it was a lovely robust stock, with a good bedding block, I never could really get on with it and swapped it for an AICS. I think that it is really important to try a stock for fit before you buy.

The palm swells on the HS precision stocks do vary from model to model, the pss being particularly full.

From experience I would say take an oal gauge and check the throat dimensions. Also check what trigger is fitted with the recall debacle at the moment. As said above the Remington is the 10/22 of the cf world. I have a .17 fireball here which after xmas will only have the breech and bolt left from the original rifle.

I know that they are not everyones cup of tea but I am decided on a Remington 700. Surely if they are as bad as many make out then the US government/military and law enforcement wouldn't have chosen them? I realise that they are far from perfekt but they seem to be a solid platform to build on to ones own taste with a myriad of spares available. I have heard of quality issues from recent rifles and of course the trigget recall on one or two rifles......

The Tikka is a Nice rifle for sure, nearly guaranteed to shoot straight out the box, however I am not keen on 223 length cartridges in 30-06 length actions. Probably stupid for sure but I have been spoilt with my Sakos :-@.

Thanks for Your input.

Remingtons are cheap which is why the US Government uses them. They are provided on contract.

That said, I have a very good friend who uses nothing but Remingtons and he is a fine hunter and long range marksman. His drive for Remingtons, other than a prejudice passed on my his father, is interchangability of stock parts, scope mounts, etal. He has, perhaps, 20 different Model 700 variants that he shoots very well but few remain factory original. It is nothing for him to basically double the purchase price in accurizing and accessorizing. Granted: Much of this might be personal preference. The rifles left in as-purchased condition have been hit and miss.

I have always liked Remington barrels but their installation is not always good. I have seen it down right sloppy with barrels threaded so loosely that they sagged visibly once backed out a half a turn from the action. They quite literally rattled. The other things i have issue with are the brazed-on bolt handles and the spring-clip extractors. Extractors give out, but when Brownells sells a jig for replacing them alont with 12-packs of replacements, you can guess it's done more frequently than most. I have replaced dozens of them and replaced many bolt handles. A shop I worked at once got a rash of broken bolt handles in a "Special Sale" shipment of rifles. We sent the rifles back and a year later, the rifles returned from the factory in exactly the same condition as they were shipped in with no explanation. We had them MIG welded on and sold them for half price. Not exactly confidence building. Maybe Remington has cleaned up their act as of late. I don't know. It is far too late for me -especially when a Tikka sells for less, needs no replacement trigger, and shoots straight right out of the box.

As to .223 in a 30-06 length action? It has never been a problem for me.~Andrew

Archived