Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Tony Shotgun

I also remember sirslotsalot on another forum that I will not mention, this guy was a dam good shooter I saw many of film clips, most enjoyable, anyone know if he is still around and still shooting?

Still around and still shooting, he still has a few mates on here ;)

Shooting a tight twist 22-250 now I believe and probably still performing shooting miracles too.

Still around and still shooting, he still has a few mates on here ;)

Shooting a tight twist 22-250 now I believe and probably still performing shooting miracles too.

Glad to here that he is still at it, would love to see more of his film clips on here, great stuff.

cf-absolutely agree about the relative gains from custom and skill,and why sub .3moa 100y groups don't say an awful lot about distance performance (though 11/2 inch ones do!)

The custom barrel can buy an improvement measured in a few tenths of an inch,the typical wind reading error is in inches-sometimes lots of them,as distance increases!

"Buy" is a key word though-the custom gear can be bought,skill cannot,and it's actually deuced difficult to become a skilled wind reader....hence the 'walking in'-which is relatively easy. First shot consistency is a different and elusive ball game,and the good and true guys don't edit their you tubes.

But custom precision is quite addictive,and maybe 'worthwhile' if the skills are there.It just much reduces the equipment error,even though that is seldom the weakest link.Once 'set up' on some distant gong,a good custom type rig can hit,by just watching for the right wind condition and pinching the trigger against the guard-no other contact with the rifle,a bit flashy but testament to the precision of the rifle.

No doubt a remote trigger could be rigged up....not everyone's idea of shooting of course,but then neither is missing because the gear is out of it's performance envelope....(223 at 1000y... surely not with a mini 14) :-)

We make choices,some of it has to be relative to the gear used.

gbal

I contacted Potter guns today and no it's not too late to go for the longer 24" barrel. The only downside is that if I did go with the 24", the factory would not thread the muzzle on a 24". I'd have to get it done after I purchase it. Then again, 24" barrel plus a moderator on the end of it would well long. Then again, would you need a mod on the end of it if your shooting long range past 300yrds. I think I'm gonna take the dealers advice and go with the 20" with muzzle thread. He reckons there's not a lot in it. What if I buy both

What do you think?

I prefer to keep the noise down and also having tinnitus in my left ear don't help.

I contacted Potter guns today and no it's not too late to go for the longer 24" barrel. The only downside is that if I did go with the 24", the factory would not thread the muzzle on a 24". I'd have to get it done after I purchase it. Then again, 24" barrel plus a moderator on the end of it would well long. Then again, would you need a mod on the end of it if your shooting long range past 300yrds. I think I'm gonna take the dealers advice and go with the 20" with muzzle thread. He reckons there's not a lot in it. What if I buy both

What do you think?

I prefer to keep the noise down and also having tinnitus in my left ear don't help.

Tony,get a mod-it's a no brainer,but especially for anyone with any ear damage already.

Not sure about 'beyond 300y'- do you mean animals won't hear? Well,they will of course,though may be a bit less spooked,but that's quite a long way to be shooting a 204....the benefits to you,are no further hearing damage,reduced recoil/sight jump-not great in 204,but reducing always helps,especially at longer ranges /higher magnification and less noise disturbance generally.

And it screws off in seconds,if you must-eg to shorten rifle. You won't miss any slight velocity loss to 300y,makes no sense to buy both at this point,or ever probably.

gbal

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,get a mod-it's a no brainer,but especially for anyone with any ear damage already.

Not sure about 'beyond 300y'- do you mean animals won't hear? Well,they will of course,though may be a bit less spooked,but that's quite a long way to be shooting a 204....the benefits to you,are no further hearing damage,reduced recoil/sight jump-not great in 204,but reducing always helps,especially at longer ranges /higher magnification and less noise disturbance generally.

And it screws off in seconds,if you must-eg to shorten rifle. You won't miss any slight velocity loss to 300y,makes no sense to buy both at this point,or ever probably.

gbal

Hi gbal. Sorry it's taken a while getting back. I've decided to go for a 20" with mod thread and moderator for the .204cal. What I am thinking of is to also go for a Tikka T3 in .22-250cal as well and maybe go for a longer barrel in that.

Hi gbal. Sorry it's taken a while getting back. I've decided to go for a 20" with mod thread and moderator for the .204cal. What I am thinking of is to also go for a Tikka T3 in .22-250cal as well and maybe go for a longer barrel in that.

FWIW now, I don't think you'll regret the shorter barrel. I have a T3 SV, I got it in 24" and had it threaded, it's a great rifle, but it is long and heavy and I doubt the extra 3 3/4" of barrel has ever really done me a bit of good.

gbal

I already have a mod for it. Always have had one. What I meant was that if I did go for 24" barrel, Tikka don't thread them, they only thread the 20". I'd have to get it threaded myself.

I already have a mod for it. Always have had one. What I meant was that if I did go for 24" barrel, Tikka don't thread them, they only thread the 20". I'd have to get it threaded myself.

OK Tony-'would I need a mod' seemed to hint going without was being considered.What I meant that with a hearing issue already,there are no if/buts/maybes,you should always use the mod,to prevent possible further damage. I hope your choice is satisfactory-short won't be a handicap,but your ears are not replaceable!

atb

g

Still walking in shots off film ;)

Scotch_egg, you really do make yourself look silly making such comments, there are a number of very credible guys on here that have shot with Alan on many occasions and can testify to his shooting ability at range. Alan has no need to walk in shots for kudos.

I also remember sirslotsalot on another forum that I will not mention, this guy was a dam good shooter I saw many of film clips, most enjoyable, anyone know if he is still around and still shooting?

Mee too , its a great shame hees not on this site anymore , i haven't seen a better shot on YT . Ok maybe one other guy and he is a member on this site ! Very inspiring ...

Scotch_egg, you really do make yourself look silly making such comments, there are a number of very credible guys on here that have shot with Alan on many occasions and can testify to his shooting ability at range. Alan has no need to walk in shots for kudos.

note the wink, ever heard of tongue in cheek.

Archived