Good fortune

baldie

Everyone loves a bargain don't they ?

This will mean nowt to most on here, apart from the machinists amongst us.

British made lathe tooling is still the best, especially the old stuff. A good friend put some luck my way a couple of days ago and let me have a beautiful Pratt Burnerd collet chuck, with the correct D6 backplate and a dozen collets, again, Pratt Burnerd for the same, for next to nowt.

Life is sometimes very good, and I am still smiling. :D

IMG_2432_zpsedf06753.jpg

IMG_2433_zps929efd54.jpg

Ooh, very nice, short of going to Hardinge it is hard to beat proper British lathe tooling, beware though they can grip very tightly.

I only ever use Pratt Burnerd chucks and also have a Crawford Trugrip Collet system in use virtually every day. It is the British take on the 5C with right hand tighten and remarkably accurate, I picked up virtually a complete set of metric and imperial collets plus the chuck for very sensible money. Down side is replacement collets are now upwards of sixty quid each.

I popped it on the lathe Davy, and just decided to have a play by turning down the heads on some cap screws to fit very snugly into the AR15 side chargers.

I was expecting 0.0005" leeway, but on 30 screws, winding the DRO back in to zero, not one of them was out at all. I couldn't believe it. They were all EXACTLY the same. Considering I was gripping mass produced cap head bolts, I was amazed at the chucks accuracy.

I paid £250 for the lot.

Lathes make me moist Gaz…. :D

I popped it on the lathe Davy, and just decided to have a play by turning down the heads on some cap screws to fit very snugly into the AR15 side chargers.

I was expecting 0.0005" leeway, but on 30 screws, winding the DRO back in to zero, not one of them was out at all. I couldn't believe it. They were all EXACTLY the same. Considering I was gripping mass produced cap head bolts, I was amazed at the chucks accuracy.

I paid £250 for the lot.

Lathes make me moist Gaz. :D

To much info Dave :) lol

But you enjoy ;)

I will come for a peak soon

Gaz

Hmm, some of your machines must make my old Southbend belt drive look a bit sad :( But on the other hand, I have got a very nice German (can't think of the make ?) vertical miller / driller that gives me a lot of pleasure to use. Gives an enormous feeling of power driving 1.5" drills through 1" plate :D

Archived