1000 Yard Gong... Almost

A years worth of work and planning came together yesterday... And I must say, I'm pretty chuffed with the results.

(It feels like its been a long road!)

The long winded version includes ammo that wouldn't group, cheap scopes that couldn't track and a damaged NightForce scope!

Not able to just 'pop' over to our shooting grounds due to the amount of hours I work, load development seemed to take an age... When I thought I was just about ready, my scope got damaged and it was nearly 11 weeks until I could get a new one!

Just a quick recap: (This info has been stated in other threads, but its better in one place!)

I'm shooting a factory .223 Remington 700P, 26 heavy barrel with a 1in9 twist. It's now sat in a ACIS with a NightForce ATACR on top. My aim has always been to shoot, with some repeatability, 1000 yards!

I'm using 70Gr VLD bullets with H4895 behind them.

We set up our gong (20"x20") near the back stop we wanted to use... Unfortunately, we had to come forward 20 yards!

I set the camera up to record the shots on the gong and set off on the drive up to the '1000 yard' point.

Once up there I was firing over the bonnet of my Land Rover...

Ranged at 980 Yards with an incline of -6, (I'll not go into the Latitude & Azimuth) I dialled in and accounted for a tail wind of 2.5 mph. I was lucky on this day, as usually its a 10 - 15 mph wind blowing at 90 degrees to me!

10 shots were fired, two hit the gong, one in each leg and six unaccounted for... Not even the camera gave me any clues! They all seem to be at about the same height, so my guess is slightly left or right of the entire target, even possibly between the gong and it's legs!

I've edited down the footage to show the hits: http://youtu.be/5tPF-ZmRFUk

(Not sure how to embed the video!)

FYI:

1 - Right Leg

2 - ?

3 - ?

4 - Hit

5 - ?

6 - ?

7 - ?

8 - Left Leg

9 - Hit

10 - ?

Afterwards, I tried some 10"x10" gongs at 600 yards on flatter land... I had a head wind of about 3 mph this time. I'd say I was getting about 70% hit rate!

All in all a great day! That was probably the last time this year I'd of gotten the chance to head out for any kind of long range shoot!

Thats good with a 70gn -what was the load?

i think for "repeatability" you will need the gods on your side, with a heavier[better bc] bullet you will [as you know] have a better chance but the twist rate will hold you back slightly.

even so i doff my cap to you. ;)

Thats good with a 70gn -what was the load?

i think for "repeatability" you will need the gods on your side, with a heavier[better bc] bullet you will [as you know] have a better chance but the twist rate will hold you back slightly.

even so i doff my cap to you. ;)

Thank you.

I used 24 Gr of powder to produce a MV of 2950 fps.

My first load was with the 80 Gr Amax, but the barrel couldn't stabilise them! I always knew I wanted a heavier, high BC bullet but just like in my choice of calibre, I'm limited!

In time, I'd like to turn it into a Semi Custom rifle, but I'm glad I achieved this with a factory rifle... Hopefully next year, with the same set up, I can get a few more shots on target! :)

Nice going jay, I would be chuffed with that with your set up.

well done, I've managed 625 on a 5 inch gong and hoping to reach 1000 soon. I was chuffed with that, 1000 well not quite yet.

well done again.

It's pretty new to me this long range stuff and throughly enjoying it and I'm really getting the bug. Tell you what it could get expensive too lol, im now on the lookout for a pair of range finding binoculars. Thats another 2k lol

I guess it can get expensive.

I wish money was no object, but I guess it keeps things interesting...

My most expensive peice of equipment is my NightForce ATACR. With everything else I've tried to be as cost effective as I can. My rifle was 2nd hand as was the ACIS it sits in.

I use a Leupold RX-1000i TBR for range finding... Cost a few hundred dollars a couple of years ago. (Worked out cheaper than getting it over here!)

It's pretty new to me this long range stuff and throughly enjoying it and I'm really getting the bug. Tell you what it could get expensive too lol, im now on the lookout for a pair of range finding binoculars. Thats another 2k lol

While top RF binos are very nice indeed,most of the time you won't be using them,and a good laser rangefinder (Leica,eg) will be a lot less...a few hundred pounds.

An alternate wallet lightener might be un upgraded rifle,which is less restrictive in hitting distant gongs.....just a thought....:-) ..enjoy!

gbal

While top RF binos are very nice indeed,most of the time you won't be using them,and a good laser rangefinder (Leica,eg) will be a lot less...a few hundred pounds.

An alternate wallet lightener might be un upgraded rifle,which is less restrictive in hitting distant gongs.....just a thought....:-) ..enjoy!

gbal

Gbal I don't quite understand what you mean by a less restrictive rifle for range. Surely if such existed you would all be using them.Or are you implying we don't shoot at range's so far out we need to use rangefinders. ..???

Gbal I don't quite understand what you mean by a less restrictive rifle for range. Surely if such existed you would all be using them.Or are you implying we don't shoot at range's so far out we need to use rangefinders. ..???

JB,sorry-maybe I didn't express that rather casual thought too clearly.

What I meant was that a 223 rem (esp with lighter bullets) is out of it's comfort envelope at 1000y...and that the £2k might be better invested in a rifle chambered for a cartridge more suitable to that distance,especially as £2k is quite a tidy sum for most,and a decent laser range finder (like a Leica) can be had for a few hundred pounds-maybe near essential if not on approved ranges,but nowhere near as critical as the rifle,anywhere!

Such rifles/cartridges do exist,of course-and most Fclass shooters use them,as do LR Bench Rest. In those competitions,ranges are predetermined and known,of course.'Tactical' shooting often is at unknown ranges,where laser comes in.And " field' practice,of course-though ranges can be marked,and kept to,so laser isn't constantly required.

Such rifles are virtually never 223 rem.This cartridge has been tried,and found just too demanding-extensively by Laurie,on here bullets hit the target-6'x6'-but not necessarily the middle) with state of the art/science 223. A light sporter and light bullets is well out of it's performance envelope. 600 yards is more like it,especially if there is much wind,and even that is quite challenging,depending on gong size.

I have no objection at all to long range shooting-I don't shoot much under 500y,and use a laser (Leica) or laser scopes.Accurate ranging of target is just essential-it's not sufficient of course,but without it shots are unlikely to be even close-20 feet,say.Then all that's left is the wind reading skill. I'm all for challenging targets if they are not sentient creatures. But if success rate is likely to be sub 50% even with shooter skill,its not for me.I'm all for others trying; having tried 22rf at 400y,I know it can be done,but why?-the 22rf is simply never going to be a 400y cartridge..though it's use at such ranges is "challenging"-in the sense that when you are outside the performance envelope,a bit, hits become essentially random...and that isn't everyones's idea of success..22rf is cheap and easier to set up,if a challenge is desired...good luck,which is pretty well what it becomes.

Each according to needs and abilities,of course. So long as it is safe,fine-provided that such extended shooting with 20% success-or 75% success,for that matter-is not translated into shots at live targets-clearly and simply unethical.I see 20% success as more meaningfully expressed as 80% failure,but it is both.Whether that is the same as half full versus half empty depends on how good your maths are.

I would think,with a bit of experience 20% success might transform to disappointment,and the search for a better tool for the job,and ultimately simply more success to enjoy (it won't be 100% easy peasy).

If an improved rifle/cartridge becomes too easy,at distance,just reduce gong size.Have look at what top shooters/rifles achieve-say at

600y-it isn't 100% (or even moa gong every shot) when there is much wind....or 1000y group sizes....ditto,for most factory rifles.

So I'm all for safe,distance shooting at gongs....it remains challenging ,and satisfying with appropriate equipment,but really more an exercise in frustration with marginal equipment,unless very modest performance is accepted.It's a choice-you have to see it to hit it,but £2k binocs would not be my priority ahead of a good scope and especially an appropriate rifle,capable of better performance.

gbal

Afternoon George,

I wish that I had 2k to spend on anything, let alone Bino's. I don't think, unless I've not read it properly, that JB has mentioned what caliber his rifle is?

As for me, until I join a club, I still don't have the relevant permission to own and shoot anything more than a .223! If I did decide to join a club, they might not shoot the range I want to... So I'd have a better cartridge that I couldn't take to my land to shoot it, as no doubt the land won't be 'rated' for it!

I really do enjoy the math and theory behind LR shooting, so for now it will have to do! I hope that in time I can get better than 20% success rate... I knew I'd never win any BR or F class comps with this rig!

All the best, Jay

Ah ! I see, now thats made it clear. I agree on the 223 not being an ideal calibre/bullet weight combo, though a 223 aint too bad with a different choice of bullet/ twist combination. Wind is allways going to be the problem whatever the bullet weight though.

Jay I shoot 6.5 at various ranges dependant on where I am and how far I wish to walk.lol

That's no bad thing-you will learn a lot about wind with 223,and for that matter 308.

That should be very helpful when a bigger toy comes along -maybe 6.5/7mm-

....I'm still optimistic about that... they just blow less..... :-)

g

Well done Jay666d

there is some thing magical [ jaw dropping ] about hitting a target at more than a stalking distance ,for mere mortals [me].

Like yourself i broke the 1000 yrd target bracket in the last 3 weeks with my 6.5x55

it can become very addictive :D and frustrating at the same time

Well done Jay666d

there is some thing magical [ jaw dropping ] about hitting a target at more than a stalking distance ,for mere mortals [me].

Like yourself i broke the 1000 yrd target bracket in the last 3 weeks with my 6.5x55

it can become very addictive :D and frustrating at the same time

Yup, there has been some frustrating times!

But now with accurate DOPE, I trust my set up to get the rounds more or less on target! (Just hope that I can pull it together for a higher hit rate!)

Archived