Sound moderator on .357

OK, I hope this is in the right place.

I have recently acquired a Rossi single shot break barrel as a bit of a plinker. Now I've got it, it occurs to me that sticking a sound moderator on the end might make it a useful foxing rifle where noise may be an issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated, including loads (30" twist I believe) powders etc bearing in mind the need to keep the bullet subsonic.

I would consider the 158 grain lead semiwadcutter hollow point. These are used in the old +P FBI load and are proven to expand at subsonic velocities from snub-nose revolvers. I think that you can get these from Midway UK.

As for loads, the gallery rifle shooters have proven that fast burning powders like Viht N310 and Bullseye produce the best accuracy. These would also have the advantage that the small, fast burning charge sizes would only produce a tiny volume of gas, so perfect for use with a moderator.

I'm under the impression and I will be proven wrong if this is the case that one cannot own expanding ammunition for this cartridge. And, consequently, will not be able to include .357mag as a foxing cartridge in their FAC...please check the conditions of your FAC with regard to this and perhaps consult your FLO?

Best wishes

Finman

I'm under the impression and I will be proven wrong if this is the case that one cannot own expanding ammunition for this cartridge. And, consequently, will not be able to include .357mag as a foxing cartridge in their FAC...please check the conditions of your FAC with regard to this and perhaps consult your FLO?

Best wishes

Finman

Exactly the opposite.

A shooter can acquire flat nosed exposed core hollowpoints for a lever action , tube fed rifle WITHOUT the section 5 declaration on his ticket.

How ?

Its a home office guideline that allows this type of bullet to be bought and used for one very important reason.

Safety.

This type of bullet is very safe in a tubular magazine …it won't chain fire.

I have a customer [in west yorks of all places ] that has a .357 down for fox.

I,ve also fitted several mods to Marlins up to 45/70.

Talk about an iron fist in a velvet glove. :wacko:

It's always worth remembering the difference between S.5 ammunition (any ammunition which incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact) and ammunition which merely happens to expand and is not S.5. Neither is there, AFAIK, and obligation to use S.5 ammunition to hunt vermin, and indeed in England and Wales, for deer, providing the bullet is soft point or hollow point. (see Deer Act).

Thanks to all those who have replied. Keep 'em coming.

There is a clip on YouTube you might find interesting Hickok45 uses a lever action mares leg with a moderator fitted to good effect

Interesting indeed, thanks for the link. Interesting all the more for showing that the USA has some magnificently stupid firearms laws too. Buy a 'mares leg' lever action rifle and it's regarded as a pistol. Stick a longer butt on it and it becomes a short barrelled rifle that requires a special permit.

Archived