Stalking Binos on a Budget

Guest Stacka

That's £279 plus say £20 more for postage back & to and they're not gas purged or waterproof. How much were those Barr & Stroud? And they were nitrogen filled, waterproof with ED lenses. Oh, & they are brand new too. Honestly when I said my friend's were nearly as good as ny SLCs they genuinely were.

Guys, I'll ask a simple question: how many have bought what was proposed to be a decent pair of optics but, 6mths-a year later decided that a proper set of optics is the way to go, took the plunge and got one of the three/four brands that have been the benchmark in this field?

My point: yes, there are decent pair of optics out there, pretty much like scopes, but, when the chips are down, everyone opts for the established, trustworthy brands, having, in effect, wasted money and time on a suboptimal product.

Best wishes

Finman

That's £279 plus say £20 more for postage back & to and they're not gas purged or waterproof. How much were those Barr & Stroud? And they were nitrogen filled, waterproof with ED lenses. Oh, & they are brand new too. Honestly when I said my friend's were nearly as good as ny SLCs they genuinely were.

But what is the warranty like on the B&S? Swaro's will last a lifetime and be repaired/refurbished mostly FOC for a very long time, product support next to none.

High end binos are the only way to go, the difference will stand out at low light in the woods when you spot that ear twitch!

But what is the warranty like on the B&S? Swaro's will last a lifetime and be repaired/refurbished mostly FOC for a very long time, product support next to none.

High end binos are the only way to go, the difference will stand out at low light in the woods when you spot that ear twitch!

it would be interesting to put that to test Gary, my Swarovski SLCs that are 20 years old are in need of service/refurb. I notice that when moving from vehicle cab to outside the lenses condense significantly whereas my friend's who's sitting next to me in same vehicle don't. I've spoken with the factory in Austria who are happy to look at them but no mention that it'll be free. I'll have to get a stop gap in the meantime.

But let's not forget value for money here, you could get 7 pairs of the B&S for one pair of Swarovski and wasn't this thread all about getting a budget pair of bino's. If that is a specific requirement Swarovski's hardly meet the requirement on that specific point.

Dont speak to the factory, speak to the girls at swarovski uk. Send them for a "repair under warranty", dont mention the word "service".

The o/p's requirement is for stalking bino's, presumably he intends to find and shoot deer, entry level stuff is a compromise to capability and should not be recommended without the caveat that it is inferior! Too much rubbish gets recommended on other forums, lets not drag UKV down to their level.

Hi All , My option on what the OP asked for would have been the Opticron DBA 8x42mm monocular which i have and think the optics are very good and much easier to carry when stalking . However for long periods of looking along hedge rows for distant rabbits and crows etc the better the glass the longer you have before our eyes get too tired . The longer you intend to have them stuck infront of your eyes the more you need to spend on them !

Regarding the older SLC's that have been mentioned and comparing them to the new cheaper makes that are very good , There is a world of difference between the old SLC's and the new ones in optics . I have the 10x50 EL's and i cant see any difference against the new SLC's , people that should know assure me there is but i guess they would say that .

OSOK

They didn't have the Terra I stock so walked away with some Ziess Conquest HD 8x42 they were about £700 but in the short term I think they'll do good. When I have the cash flow, they can be retired for some top end stuff.

Their East German and replacement rubber eyecups aren't available!

You will find second hand Zeiss 8x56 and Leica 10x40's in a photo shop in Salisbury which looking at your location cannot be far!

Value for money must go to Hawke for their PC Endurance range, 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42. (£149~199)

Archived